The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Advice on adding 7" monitor to IQ 100

vjbelle

Unless I totally missed something from the demo and brief hands-on, I personally can't see the point of using the HDMI output for checking focus.

It only allows you to either see the full sensor, or a 100% crop of the middle of the sensor.

Or did I, the Phase One dealer, and the regional sales manager from Phase One all miss something?

Kind regards,

Gerald.
+1...... A very good question. If 100% crop can't be manipulated on the HDMI screen then what good is it?

Victor

jlm

Workshop Member
i'm still messing around with my hdmi 7" monitor on the sony a7rII, but if the camera's lcd can show 100% with a selectable frame, so can the monitor. i'm hesitant, because i have only been using the monitor to display the lcd display, which i believe may be different from the hdmi image itself

dickb

i'm still messing around with my hdmi 7" monitor on the sony a7rII, but if the camera's lcd can show 100% with a selectable frame, so can the monitor. i'm hesitant, because i have only been using the monitor to display the lcd display, which i believe may be different from the hdmi image itself
Could you test one thing for me please? If your a7rii is connected to your hdmi monitor in stills mode, does your monitor show a more detailed image than your rear lcd screen? I'm asking because with my a7 connected to an hdmi monitor, the resolution of the image seems to be the same 640*480 of my rear lcd screen. Only when recording video does the hdmi signal switch to 1080. This may not be a problem for the video people the high res monitors are aimed at, but it is to me, shooting stills. Can you confirm the a7rii does the same thing, or perhaps I'm doing something wrong?

gerald.d

+1 as well. Focus peaking is nice but for 100% critical focus with such a back I need 100% pixel level focusing.
From my - admittedly brief 2 day - test of the IQ3 100, I wouldn't buy it over the IQ3 80 based on the potential for using the 100's HDMI output for focus confirmation.

I can nail focus using live view for macro photography using the regular on-back live view of the IQ3 80 when the depth of field is of the order of 0.5mm. What's critical of course is that I can do that across the entire frame. I could not nail focus using HDMI.

This is not intended as a criticism of the 100. Far from it. It just doesn't deliver any benefits for this scenario.

Where it does have huge benefits is for aerial photography. We will be testing a Phase One aerial camera in a Shotover next week. The ability to have a live view from the back and capture a true "WYSIWYG" image will be - I am anticipating - immense.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Christopher

Well, the CMOS live view is great! It can't be compared to the crappy IQ180 live view of one can really call it that.

However, I do not get the fuss over external displays. The IQ screen isn't to bad.

I would need something like real 100% pixel level focusing for even bothering with an external display.

kdphotography

I don't think HDMI output is a reason to upgrade either. But it is a nice add-on and provides more options/alternatives/tools for the end user. For me, I'm looking for cleaner image quality at slightly higher ISO making it easier to balance out ambient light with studio lights. This is not to say it can't be done with the CCD backs, but the CMOS sensor is going to make it easier with a broader (usable) ISO range.

ken

vjbelle

FWIW, I can't imagine any scenario where a CMOS back, either FF or CF, wouldn't be significantly better than its CCD counterpart for live view. Faster, easier, more accurate are pluses that come immediately to me..... and this is from my extensive use of both CCD and CMOS backs. Whether an HDMI out elevates this experience is a little dubious. There may be a benefit or two but the LCD screen gets me there fast and I don't have to carry around extra stuff - which is the biggest benefit of all. A small Peak loupe is all I need for quick accurate focus at any focal length.

Victor

kdphotography

Hands-down live view with CMOS trumps CCD's version of live view. But this isn't to say that focusing by other means on the IQ is not good either---focus mask and zooming in works well. It wasn't that long ago that the IQ platform was announced and the new screen was the cat's meow. But tech consumers that we are---now you hear grumblings for a better screen yet. I'm not one of those grumblers, as I know the fault lies with me and not with Phase. So last year I got my first pair of bifocals. My eyes are healthy but aging. And that HDMI monitor does look good.... ;)

In the end, it's about having options. :thumbup: