The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Moving to MF

MarkBeaumont

Thanks for all the info so far, way too much to think about :eek: Seem to have spent the last two days just reading stuff, but not sure I'm much the wiser.

For those asking why, I simply want the better dynamic range, and a faster flash sync, which even at 1/800th is two stops better than I can currently get, and enough for my needs.

Hiring is the best option in the ideal world, but I don't live anywhere near the hire centre and it makes it very costly, but still thinking about it.

I'm finding myself drawn to the HD5-50c though, pretty good price at the moment.

tcdeveau

To echo what's been said before, you may find True Focus on the Hasselblad useful for your portrait work. You could either go H4D/H5D and a hassy back or H4X/H5X body with a phase back to get and make use of this feature. Hasselblad also has the 100mm f2.2 lens which may be useful for portraiture as well. I'd definitely recommend finding a dealer and trying out hasselblad bodies and the phase DF/DF+/XF side by side and see what works best for you if you're thinking about hasselblad vs. phase. Also, if speed of capture/fps is important in your workflow, keep in mind that MF may not be the best tool for you regardless of image quality and you may find yourself missing shots. Just another reason to test before buying.

If dynamic range is important, the Sony CMOS sensor in the H5D-50c wifi that youre drawn to currently will probably have better dynamic range than the H5D-40 or IQ260 you mentioned earlier. You'll also have better high ISO performance compared to the latter if that matters at all to you.