The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DT Tech cam samples

jagsiva

Looks like Doug has the files up. Being in Canada, I don't appear to be getting an email download link. Has anyone had a chance to look? Mostly interested in the 32HR/100 vs. 32HR/80 images.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
For anyone looking...
Phase One IQ3 100mp Raw Files Download

Thanks for the kind words gents.

If anyone would like to arrange further testing our offices in LA and NYC and our cabinets full of gear are always available to such testing (appointments strongly encouraged to ensure we have the specific gear and staff time you need).

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
how about a brief summary?
Obviously some over-simplification in pursuit of brevity.

Regarding 100mp use on a Tech Cam:
- About the same effective range of movement allowed as the 80mp or 50mp. Less movement allowed than the 60mp.
- Schneider wides are generally not recommended but may work straight on, or with minimal movements
- Center filters recommended for any wides, Rodenstock or Schneider
- The live view (on back, via wifi, or via USB3), HDMI out, and dynamic range of the IQ3 100mp are very well suited to tech cam use

Given the resolution, sensor size, live view quality, and dynamic range I suspect many of our customers will select the IQ3 100mp for use on tech cameras, knowing that they'll lose some movement flexibility with wider lenses.

I also suspect we will see more use of correction of perspective in post (using C1 or PS) or using wider-than-needed lenses to allow cropping part of the frame as an effective rise/fall/shift movement. 100 sharp megapixels in a single capture covers a lot of ground in this regard. This is not necessarily mutually exclusive with movements in-camera. For instance you could accomplish a very large virtual rise, with a very sharp high res image from a combination of 10mm of rise with the 32HR, combined with a degree or two of pitching the camera backwards on the tripod to look up a bit more (and corrected that degree or two in C1), combined with cropping the top 2/3rds of the frame.

Paul2660

On the 32mm Rodenstock, was the CF used? And thanks again for an outdoor test.

The 32mm looks very good, after corrections and the 60mm @10mm has a very small amount of cast, so it might easily make 15mm or 18mm of shift.

Thanks
Paul C

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
On the 32mm Rodenstock, was the CF used? And thanks again for an outdoor test.

The 32mm looks very good, after corrections and the 60mm @10mm has a very small amount of cast, so it might easily make 15mm or 18mm of shift.

Thanks
Paul C
No Center Filters were used in the tests. In reviewing the images I wish we had.

Since the pixel pitch on the 80mp and 100mp cause a good amount of light falloff, minimizing the optical falloff is more important.

Paul2660

One last question, in the indoor tech camera series, Millar Room, the shift is listed as -20 shift, is this the same as 20mm R shift? or with an Arca 20mm of moving the DB to the left?

If so I was pleasantly surprised to see that the IC indicator is not really a big factor as it allowed 20mm of shift. On the 40mm HR-W, the indicator seems to be more visible by 18mm of shift and by 20mm quite hard on the edges.

Thanks
Paul C