The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Filtering Rodenstock 32mm

M

mjr

Morning all.

I'm looking for some advice on the best way of filtering the Rodi 32mm HR-W, anyone got experience of a system that allows shifting without getting in the way? I currently have Lee 100mm filters but I'm guessing I need to go bigger?

Many thanks

Mat

Paul2660

Wth the 32mm, if you are going to shift past 5mm, I would first consider purchasing the CF. The 32mm in my experience has quite a bit of light fall off when shifted and the CF will assist this. You can also see the effect of shifting this lens in both the Capture Integration and Digital Transitions tech camera tests. The shifts with the 32mm are quite dark and would benefit from a CF.

The front threads of the 32mm are 86mm and course threaded. You can use 2 thin 86mm filters and get 12mm of shift before you start to hit the filter stack.

Lee Filters now makes a series of wide angle rings 86mm, 95, 105mm. These will allow you to use the Lee SW-150 system on the 32mm. You can go with 86mm ring if you don't want to use the CF or the 105mm ring if you use the CF. These rings are not like the other Lee rings, in that they are massive and heavy. So they will add more weight to the front of the 32mm and thus make it even more susceptible to damage to the front element/misalignment due to the weakness of the copal shutter, but it works. Lee now makes a CL-PL in glass in the 150 x 150 size, but they don't make glass ND filters. Thus you need to look to the Hitech or Nisi filters. Both of the Nisi and HiTech firecrest are excellent. The Lee 105mm Ring fits over the CF on the 32mm with no problems and you can get about 12mm of shift.

Here is a link to a video I did on the Lee system and Nisi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yfFfNhsr5c

You can also look into the Cokin system. Cokin and Lee filters will not interchange, and I had a lot of Lee for my Nikon 14-24, so I went that way.

Paul C

jagsiva

I use the Rodie CF (on pretty much all the time) along with slim MRC CLP and various ND's from Heliopan, all 105mm. The some vignetting with CF + another filter, with the CLP causing the most. I have samples and LCCs posted here somewhere.

When using the 32mm HR without center filter, Linhof Studio recommends the following:

Lee 100mm Push on Holder
Lee 100-90 Donut Spacer

LEE Filters Holders

I picked the 40mm HR over the 32mm HR specifically for much easier solutions of filters.

M

mjr

Many thanks for the replies, I shall look in to the suggestions.

I am on my first day of experimenting and learning about the lens, I don't have a cf for it but will certainly buy one should I need it, I have only been playing around with shifting 10mm so far and haven't experienced any light differences at the edge of the frame after LCC applied, I may if I go 15mm, will try that later.

Here's a very boring test shot on a dull, flat day with 10mm shift each way and 5mm rear fall, I am happy with the light across the frame at those movements for sure but am yet to test shifting further.

Thanks again for the answers, have a good weekend!

Mat

Paul2660

Hi Matt,

You did not mention the back you are using? 10mm looks good. Where I find the CF helps is in bright light, where I see more noise in the recovery on shifts due to more light falloff and uneven light recovery. I am using the IQ260.

It looks like from the tests of the 100MP sensor, which has microlenses like the 50MP sensor, light fall may be much more extreme on shifts past 5mm, and again the CF may be needed more often.

I am probably the exception to the 32mm as it seems most folks don't use the CF. I prefer max movements which on the 32mm for me are about 15mm past that and the lens wont' hold up. Standard range for me is 12mm unless I am in close and in bright light the shifts for me are pretty full of hard to recover noise that the CF does help. The huge down side to the CF is the that it's between 2 and 2.5 stops of light to work around which with a copal shutter doesn't leave much to work with in shutter speeds at base iso or ISO 100.

The Doughnut that was previously mentioned will fit over the lens without the CF and holds 2 of the 100mm filters, but as I remember with shifts much past 10mm, you will be hitting the edge of the 100mm size filters. May have that wrong as I only tested these once and moved to the 150mm size.

I was never able to find a way to use the Lee wide angle hood setup I use on the 40mm. Hood holds 1 100m filter and the hood takes a 105mm threaded filter, the CL-PL most times.

Paul C

M

mjr

It's also the IQ260 Paul, I have a series of shots in bright but flat light, all of which look pretty good at 10mm shifts, getting dark here but I will try max shifts tomorrow. Depending on use "in anger" on a shoot, I don't know if the extra shift over the loss of light from the cf will be worth it, time will tell for sure.

I have just been reading about the doughnut way of mounting, I will keep on with the research, makes me want to find a 3d printer somewhere and make a push on hood with slots for filters, no idea what that would cost though!

Cheers

Mat

Tom Holdsworth

You could also look at Linhof Studio's XXL holder. This uses donut spacers rather than the much larger and bulkier Lee SW150 adapters but it uses the Lee SW150 filters. See http://www.linhofstudio.com/products/The-LSL-XXL-Filter-Holder The holder is a bit heavier than the Lee SW150 holder but the adapaters are lighter. Both systems work well and fill a long standing gap in the market I think.
I'd caution anyone looking into the Linhof Studio XXL holder system, I bought one last year - it's durable but the weight of the holder and the corresponding adapters are rather excessive, especially if you're hanging it off the front end of the 32HR. The holder is 185 grams, and the three adapters I have vary from 157 grams to 187 grams. So the heaviest combo together is 372 grams (over 13 ounces!) - then add in the weight of the (optional) center filter and the rectangular Lee filters. It all adds up to a pretty bulky system.

I ordered the Vu 150mm holder last week (directly from Vu) and received it today - the holder itself is comparatively lightweight and very well finished in a matte black aluminum with a couple of thumbscrews on the rear that secure the adapter ring and allow easy rotation of the holder. I weighed it at 114 grams. The Vu adapter rings vary from 53 grams to 72 grams depending on the diameter. I've tried the Lee 150mm neutral grads in the slots, they are tight but they work. I would insert them before putting the holder on the lens, though.

It's kind of obnoxious to need two filter systems in my bag, but I can recommend the Vu 150mm system with 86, 95, and 105mm adapters for the 32HR with and without CF, as well as the 23HR with CF. All for about $370. With my other lenses I still use the Lee 100 system.

I hope this helps. And I may put my Linhof Studio system in the classifieds!

Tom