The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Missing MFD and getting back into it

markymarkrb

I had the 645Z with the 28-45 lens and used it for landscape. While I thought the sensor was incredible on the 645Z, the lenses to me were the weak link. At the same time, I got the A7RII with the OTUS lenses with an adapter and after comparing the two, I thought the picture out of the A7RII was better. I am waiting to go back to MF too but after owning the IQ180 for a while, the 645Z with its' lenses just didn't do it for me. The other piece of this was that I enjoy using a mirrorless system so much more than a DSLR now and do not wish to own another. Still waiting for the perfect CMOS back that can shift well on a tech cam.

Michiel Schierbeek

I had the 645Z with the 28-45 lens and used it for landscape. While I thought the sensor was incredible on the 645Z, the lenses to me were the weak link. At the same time, I got the A7RII with the OTUS lenses with an adapter and after comparing the two, I thought the picture out of the A7RII was better. I am waiting to go back to MF too but after owning the IQ180 for a while, the 645Z with its' lenses just didn't do it for me. The other piece of this was that I enjoy using a mirrorless system so much more than a DSLR now and do not wish to own another. Still waiting for the perfect CMOS back that can shift well on a tech cam.
Sounds strange to me. The 28-45 is known to be state of the art especially for landscape work. BTW I have very little complains about their older lenses as well.
Well everybody is entitled to their preferences....

Last edited:

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
This afternoon I had the opportunity to take a closer look at the XF and from the limited amount of time I spent with the camera, I was extremely impressed so it appears as though I am heavily leaning towards that route, especially in light of the fact that I am most comfortable with C1Pro as my preferred software for my workflow. Add to that the fact that the vendor is 8 blocks from my office, and it makes the choice somewhat easier.

Now I have to decide on my back, but that is just a matter of counting my pennies to see which one will fit within my budget, as well as deciding on the lenses I will start my new system off with. I know for now I will be limited, but as far as lenses are concerned, I would just do what I did the first time, and add them slowly and one at a time.

Thanks to all for the input and opinions, as in addition to those, I spent many hours reading peoples comments on the various posts here on their equipment as well.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The good news with the XF based system is that there are plenty of 'affordable' lenses available, especially on the used market. On the other hand there are also some outstanding new LS lenses but unfortunately they have nosebleed pricing, but I must say that they live up to their billing.

If you find yourself with a 35LS you'll have saved yourself the bother of buying a tech camera as it is as sharp as my Rodie 32HR. (Albeit without movements).

I think that the extra mass of the new XF seems to damp shooting with my Phase One/Mamiya lenses to the degree that they seem sharper now than they ever did on the DF/DF+. Maybe it's psychological but I don't recall my 28D, 35D, 75-150D and 300 APO being as sharp as they are. I'm pretty happy that I didn't ever sell off my full lens set (especially as nobody ever seemed to want to buy them on the used market anyway).

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
I looked at the new 35LS as I have read nothing but glowing reviews of the lens. That will be my first addition to the new kit once I have the funds.

For now, I will get by with their "legacy" glass which will do fine by me for what I use it for anyway.