Site Sponsors

Thread: Phase XF release cable out yet

Post Thanks / Like

Phase XF release cable out yet

just headed to a shoot and realized that phase changed up the release cable multiconnector port :<
    Is there a new release cable or adapter available yet?
    Just silly change.. ka-ching..

Eric
    Eric Korenman
    www.korenman.com

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Phase XF release cable out yet

Not yet. It's coming soon apparently.

You are correct that the adapter change is a pain although hopefully that's because it exposes more future functionality. I borrowed a pre-fabbed prototype cable for the XF at the CI event last week and it worked perfectly. It was literally the original release spliced to the new connector. I hear that there may be an adapter for old -> new connectors coming - I hope so as I have several and would rather not have to buy new ones unless they are adding something very significant or more reliable. (My Phase / Mamiya releases had a tendency to fall apart at the plug over time which hopefully they've addressed)
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by faneuil View Post
    just headed to a shoot and realized that phase changed up the release cable multiconnector port :<
    Is there a new release cable or adapter available yet?
    Just silly change.. ka-ching..

Eric
    The change is to allow more flexibility (namely more communication pins) for other accessories over the decade+ during which the XF platform will be the primary platform for Phase One. For instance this port will also be the port used for AC power when in a studio still life, product, or cultural heritage imaging use case.

That said the change is surely annoying as heck for those that just want a darn cable release and find themselves unable to use the last-generation one due to what seems like a small change in the port design (but is actually a fairly consequential in the port design), so I sympathize with you there.

And I agree Graham, the durability of the last generation cable release was "okay" at best and certainly not up to Phase One's usually very high durability standards. Hopefully the wait for a new one will be justified by an improved one.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Doug.

I assume this is a standard 12 pin connector of some sort.
    could I just DIM (do it Myself)?
    I am actually more interested in connecting to 3mm jack for remote triggering.

Eric
    Eric Korenman
    www.korenman.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It just depends on how good you are at, "do it yourself." (Me: "huh--- well now I know what it looks like inside..." )

The prototype cable that we had at CI in Carmel was actually a custom cable (read: fancy expensive splice) but worked well. The splice was covered by a long sealed rubber sleeve.

ken

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't think that Ziv would have been too pleased if I'd stripped the splice cover off to determine the pin mapping but I could of ... And replacing the bond is just a matter of a new heat cable shrink wrap.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm finding Capture Pilot on my iPhone a much simpler solution for remote release - and it's good for about 10 meters!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have an iPhone. The promised android version of capture pilot still not released. I have a trip in two months and getting extremely frustraited with phase one. First of all i don't want to have another device which requires a battery and i have to remember to charge it or remember not to use it because i have to keep the battery full. I like the feeling of remote control in my hand where i don't have to look at a screen to find a release button. Looks like i will have to spend $250 for ipod touch and flush it in a toilet few months later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    I'm finding Capture Pilot on my iPhone a much simpler solution for remote release - and it's good for about 10 meters!
    That doesn't work with IQ1xx and at -10 or -15C I need gloves. OK winter is nearly over but surely it can't be that hard for Phase One to fix this ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MILESF View Post
    That doesn't work with IQ1xx and at -10 or -15C I need gloves. OK winter is nearly over but surely it can't be that hard for Phase One to fix this ?
    They are in no rush when it's a cheap item with little profit to be made.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post