The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase portrait lenses

M

mjr

Morning gents

Looking for some opinions on portrait lens options from Phase, there seems to be a lot of versions and models around 110 to 150 so after some practical experience. I can't afford the new LS lenses so they are out, I have been offered a lightly used 110LS for a good price and an ex demo 120 f4 AF as well but can't help thinking the 150 is the way to go as I like a little extra reach, I already have the 80LS for full length/environmental stuff which will be fine.

So, anyone used the 120 AF for portraits? Any comments on the bokeh/rendition? I already understand the associated focussing speed issues that are obvious with a macro lens. The 110LS will be smaller and lighter but not too fussed about that, it will be used in a studio mainly, any comments on the performance of the 110? I haven't yet needed LS lenses for studio portraiture but I guess the option would be nice for outside stuff, so many options!

Many thanks in advance for advice.

Mat

kdphotography

The 110LS is excellent, but the 150LS is easily my favorite portrait lens. If the 150LS is out of reach (for now) definitely consider the Phase 150mm f/2.8 D series. Sharper and fast to focus---this is an excellent lens and for whatever nonsensical reason, market value is not very high for this lens considering its performance. The faster flash sync of the LS is really the only appreciable characteristic over the D series. Grab the 110LS for those times you need to be a bit wider. Compare the 120 and 150 focals to see which you like best for your needs and style.

ken

M

mjr

Thanks Ken, I can't find a 150 here at the moment but on the lookout. Have you shot with the 120 before?

Cheers

Mat

kdphotography

I have the Mamiya 120 D macro. Rarely use it for whatever reason. It is manual focus. I haven't tried the latest iterations from Schneider, and I don't want to either. You know what they say, "You touch it, you buy it." ;)

ken