The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Suggestions: Pentax 645Z or Leica S/S2/S006

rollsman44

I would only need 1 lens and that would be 55mm. Any suggestions as they both are close ion price USED. I need to have AF and Hand hold it for candids and some portraits. Thank you I do use Flash on camera and Off camera. Thank you

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I would only need 1 lens and that would be 55mm. Any suggestions as they both are close ion price USED. I need to have AF and Hand hold it for candids and some portraits. Thank you I do use Flash on camera and Off camera. Thank you
Leica S lens 45S 70S or 30-90S Vario .... if you mean 55 in 35mm terms then the 70 is yours ... CS lenses offer central shutter for faster sync with strobes which helps for outdoor portraiture.

This comparison is better sensor ... if you like CMOS in the Pentax and much better lenses in the Leica.

If you prefer the CCD then Leica covers it.

Bob

rollsman44

Leica S lens 45S 70S or 30-90S Vario .... if you mean 55 in 35mm terms then the 70 is yours ... CS lenses offer central shutter for faster sync with strobes which helps for outdoor portraiture.

This comparison is better sensor ... if you like CMOS in the Pentax and much better lenses in the Leica.

If you prefer the CCD then Leica covers it.

Bob
At this time I am not sure which way I am going to go. Thanks

algrove

OP
Why not rent the Z and/or S so you can make a hands-on decision?

A couple of months ago I shot in a studio environment with the Z+90 Macro while a friend used his S006+100/2. For whatever reasons the Z shots looked much better color balanced OOC IMHO and were sharp as heck while using large modifiers and small modifiers.

That being said rent so you can form a personal opinion of your own from actual use.

Paratom

Is this additionally to the Leica T you thought about or instead?

The Leica S and Pentax handle quite differently, I would recommend to try boths before making a decision.

D&A

Shot with both systems simultaniously with/for Leica model demonstration and other occasions and the two cameras couldn't be more different. Each has strengths and weaknesses and aside from financial investment, the choixe would be very much dependent on primary intended use.

Dave (D&A)

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I recently returned to MF from a D810 and OTUS lenses ...

Demo'ed the Pentax 65Z.

While the sensor seemed very nice to me the body and whole experience was a bit less engaging than I hoped it would be. Seemed like
a Sony on steroids ... and I love Ricoh and the photographer centric approach just too many extraneous buttons and knobs.

The Leica ... having owned two S cameras in the past was much more of a photographers camera in my view. One of those tools that
disappear as you use them ... more an extension of your view than a box with a bunch of extraneous things to be manipulated in order
to make an image.

The S lenses carry a very distinct signature that is not just sharp ... it to me has an organic real feeling to the drawing of the camera.

If you want high ISO clinically sharp picture then the 645Z will thrill you ... if you have any sense of older film based imaging you may
want to look twice at the S ... it is another realm from the newer Sony chips and needs no apology for its output.

Bob

D&A

Bob, in many ways the older CCD based 645D had much of that organic film like imagery, not unlike the original S2 and S (006). It often comes down to what one expects and also their photographic needs that which will determine which camera/system works best for themselves.

It's not unlike the situation with the M9 and current M240. Again my use of the term CCD simply refers to the sensor used in these cameras. For all we know it may have a lot to do with associated electronics and firmware and who knows what else each respective camera contains that contributes to its output and unique fingerprint.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

2WK

I'm in the same boat. Slightly torn between a 006 (with probably Contax adapter) and a 645z. I know the pros/cons for both.
As of late, I am leaning heavily towards the Pentax. I actually really prefer the 4:3 ratio. Also from my limited in-store test portraits with my wife....the Z had much nicer/neutral skin tones right out of the camera. The Leica had a sickly yellow/green thing going on. Plus the Pentax is just a much more versatile camera aside from the limited leaf shutter lenses....long exposures, low light, long lenses, live view....etc etc.

The Leica is just so sexy, it makes it a bit difficult. That viewfinder is to die for, and I like the interface. I would even consider it and getting a nice set of strobes and going full Studio/on location lighting guy....but tethering sucks for it. It also sucks for the Pentax, but at least there are some "work-arounds" for it.

:confused: