The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Microsoft Surface Book USB does not connect to my IQ380

awolf

Dropped my Surface 3, for the last time today :scry:
Went and bought Microsoft Surface Book, looked promising, but the USB does not connect to my IQ380
They see each other (the back light up and the Surface does chime) but, C1 does not see the camera and the back does not display the USB sign, the chime is intermittent as well, like a bad connection (but the connection is fine the back works with my desk top and the Surface see other USB devices like a external HD). Any thoughts? Do I need a USB power hub?

kdphotography

That is puzzling---as USB3 is generally known to be just stupid easy to tether with between the IQ and Surface (or other device). Have you tried a new USB3 cable? You should not need a powered hub--that's more for power management (charging) issues via USB3. I'd shut off the charging option.

ken

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Dropped my Surface 3, for the last time today :scry:
Went and bought Microsoft Surface Book, looked promising, but the USB does not connect to my IQ380
They see each other (the back light up and the Surface does chime) but, C1 does not see the camera and the back does not display the USB sign, the chime is intermittent as well, like a bad connection (but the connection is fine the back works with my desk top and the Surface see other USB devices like a external HD). Any thoughts? Do I need a USB power hub?
Should be pretty easy to troubleshoot with your Phase One dealer. Let us know what they find.

awolf

A USB power hub, took care of it. So, if you are thinking of taking a Surface Book outdoor, think again :thumbdown:
Disappointing, the Surface pro 3 had no issues… Anyone using the 4?

JaapD

My notebook, a HP, has BIOS settings that define various output current settings of the USB port. I don’t know but this might also be applicable to your Surface 3.

kdphotography

Something is amiss. You should not need a powered USB3 hub.

Don Libby also has the Surface Book----he has tethered via USB3 with his IQ180 to C1 Pro, no issues---much the same as when tethered with the Surface Pro. No powered USB3 hub is needed.

I'd check the settings and USB3 cord. All else failing, have your dealer run through the system....

ken

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Something is amiss. You should not need a powered USB3 hub.

Don Libby also has the Surface Book----he has tethered via USB3 with his IQ180 to C1 Pro, no issues---much the same as when tethered with the Surface Pro. No powered USB3 hub is needed.

I'd check the settings and USB3 cord. All else failing, have your dealer run through the system....

ken
Agreed. Work with your dealer to figure out what is awry. Should work.

Cable, power management settings, OS settings, version of Capture One, firmware... all candidates your dealer can help you test.

Don Libby

I'm getting ready for a dark/night shoot next month in Valley of the Gods and tried everything out a couple days ago. Folding chair, check. Small camping table to set the book on which is large enough to use a mous3, check. Long enough USB cable, check.

Using the XF with a 180 tethered to the book running C1-9 and everything worked. No issues with battery power and zero issues using either the book or C1. I kept the focus set to auto (it was daylight) and was able to go through all the settings without getting out of my chair.

I'll be shooting in near pitch black with no moon so I figure set the focus on manual, sit down and enjoy the night skies.

So, as others have said, running the Surface Book on batteries and set as a laptop using one of the 2-USB ports to tether shouldn't pose a problem.

don

kdphotography

Hope you get it figured out. I know how frustrating it can be when something that should "just work"----doesn't.

ken

Don Libby

I forgot to add the information on book; mine is a 512GB i7 16GB/ dGPU. That said it really shouldn't matter regarding the USB ports. Good luck on your replacement.

don