The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Handstrap for Phase One XF

Transposure

Hey guys...
I typically do not use any straps on my cameras. Moving fast, it impedes my workflow. However, with the value of the XF + Back + Lens and the tethering/tripping danger, I felt a handstrap would offer some good insurance. Straps are very personal items and what one person likes, another person dislikes. Well, i found a handstrap that is truly a beautifully designed and implemented product. I thought I would share it with you guys. The strap is made by a small company called SpiderPro. I have their Spider Holster (awesome product) and when they produced their handstrap, I had to take a look and give it a shot. It is quite literally a work of art and beautifully made. I had to modify the plastic top insert very slightly with some snips, but other than that, it works wonderfully. Its ergonomics are fantastic and it looks great too (imho). I included some photos below...

Attachments

Hi, just a short question: How did you manage to get the so called handstrap head through the camera slot of the XF when the webbing is in place? I tried it for about an hour and gave up. I even could not place the head without the webbing in place!

Thanks in advance

Wolfgang

Transposure

Hi Wolfgang,
The strap is made for 35mm DSLR systems. But I imagined there had to be a way that it would work with the XF. I mentioned in my original post that I modified the plastic top insert with some snips. So basically, here is what I did...

If you overlay the plastic top insert OVER the XF receiver (not in it, OVER it), you will see it is a little too "chubby" to hook through the XF receiver. If you get some wire snips or nail clippers, you can remove a small amount of the INSIDE curve of the plastic to make its hook shape thinner (less chubby). By the way, that is a technical term...lol. Anyway, try a little at a time (realizing that you are voiding your warranty) and you will eventually thin it enough to allow it to hook into the XF receiver. You can test with each snip modification.
Once that modification is done, simply insert the strap first, as you normally would, and then slide and rotate the modified plastic top insert into the receiver of the XF.
If you are still having problems, let me know and I will remove mine and take a photo of the modified top plastic insert.
Best regards,
Ken

Hi, just a short question: How did you manage to get the so called handstrap head through the camera slot of the XF when the webbing is in place? I tried it for about an hour and gave up. I even could not place the head without the webbing in place!

Thanks in advance

Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang,
The strap is made for 35mm DSLR systems. But I imagined there had to be a way that it would work with the XF. I mentioned in my original post that I modified the plastic top insert with some snips. So basically, here is what I did...

If you overlay the plastic top insert OVER the XF receiver (not in it, OVER it), you will see it is a little too "chubby" to hook through the XF receiver. If you get some wire snips or nail clippers, you can remove a small amount of the INSIDE curve of the plastic to make its hook shape thinner (less chubby). By the way, that is a technical term...lol. Anyway, try a little at a time (realizing that you are voiding your warranty) and you will eventually thin it enough to allow it to hook into the XF receiver. You can test with each snip modification.
Once that modification is done, simply insert the strap first, as you normally would, and then slide and rotate the modified plastic top insert into the receiver of the XF.
If you are still having problems, let me know and I will remove mine and take a photo of the modified top plastic insert.
Best regards,
Ken
HI Ken, just came home, will try tomorrow, thank you very much!:thumbs:

Wolfgang

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
My perference is the UPStrap system with loop wrist adapter that can be attached. Personally I use the UPStrap short loop most of the time but when I want I can attach a shoulder strap (full rotation) or a normal strap or my favorite the short loop strap which make tripod use trivial.

Also all local straps are Kevlar!

kdphotography

I may have to consider the SpiderPro wrist strap. I'm not a fan of camera straps--they always seem to get in my way at some point and become more of an annoyance despite its obvious utility. The SpiderPro wrist strap might offer me something for the XF while not getting in the way as much as a camera neck strap. I wouldn't want the XF around my neck anyway...

ken

Transposure

I may have to consider the SpiderPro wrist strap. I'm not a fan of camera straps--they always seem to get in my way at some point and become more of an annoyance despite its obvious utility. The SpiderPro wrist strap might offer me something for the XF while not getting in the way as much as a camera neck strap. I wouldn't want the XF around my neck anyway...

ken
Right there with you Ken. Hence, my decision to go with the Spider strap.

kdphotography

Very fast response---my order is already shipped. Opted for the brown "Kodiak" SpiderPro hand strap. No Phase One blue available ;)

Transposure

In a related matter, I just picked a ProMediaGear L bracket. It has some cool features, such as the slide out vertical part and threaded holes for accessory attachments.

Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 1.15.39 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-02-03 at 1.16.09 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 1.24.23 PM.jpg

But, more importantly, their brackets have hardened steel insert (not shown on these photos) that receives their proprietary quick-release connector.

Pretty cool actually.
RRS has a similar system, using Magpul QR. Magpie is famous in the firearms industry and has a long proven QR system. However, the RRS system uses a hole in the aluminum plate and does not include a hardened steel receiver as far as I know.

Here is a shot of the PMS strap with the QR attached...

Last edited: