The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Yes, you are right Chris. Timer delay and vibration detect seem to be working now. (didn’t seem to work with the first release, but maybe the camera was so solid it just seemed that way because of vibration detect.

Mirror lockup keeps the mirror up for all exposures, but you have to move over to the mains screen and lock it up before triggering the sequence, otherwise it will return and go up for each shot. Seems unnecessary, so perhaps the next update will simply keep the mirror up automatically.

As far as AF, what I’ve noticed is if you AF on one point, touch the gear icon most of the time the camera will shift focus and back and most of the time seems to shift it back to the correct point. (although for some unexplained reason not 100% of the time) However, if you then AF on the other point, and touch the gear button, the camera seems to just refocus on the stored point - the two numbers will match.

Using the suggestion described earlier-setting secondary shutter button to AF seems to work most of the time. If I AF, set that point by touching the gear then storing the number, AF on the other point, then move the lens to manual and back and touch the gear button seems to work most of the time. Sometimes it did focus back on the previous point, but if I waited just a moment in MF then back to AF, touching the gear would then give me a new number, not send the lens back to the stored number. I think it advisable to set near point first because the action of moving the lens in and out of AF almost always slightly shifted focus for me (AF would make a slight adjustment) no matter how carefully I did it. Far point is probably a little less critical.

I think Graham mentioned something about recording the numbers, so I tried a couple of theoretical workflows assuming infinity was a desired point. It does seem the number for infinity stays constant even if the lens is removed, so if the image includes infinity you could AF on the near point, set that number, then manually dial in the infinity number and set that point. Tried that a few times and actually works pretty quickly and seems to be reliable.

I have tested all of the above with the Phase 75-150 (non LS, about 7 years old) and with the 40-80 LS. Both lenses operated as I’ve described when using the FS tool.

I don’t think any of this applies to those using manual focus/live view, the tool as is seems to be very functional for that (other than perhaps having to turn the dial a lot of turns if you need to get from very near focus to infinity).

Last edited:

Smoothjazz

I performed the firmware upgrade for my XF camera and also my IQ180 digital back just 3 days ago. I have been up in the mountains on a trip, and on the second day the digital back crashed, right when I was going to take a great pic!
Thanks to Capture Integration for taking my call after hours- good job guys. They verified that they are seeing the new software crash. Wow. My question is why would Phase One release a faulty software that would completely disable our cameras?
Now I have to figure out a fix- not easy to do on the road. CI apparently has a software fix.

Smoothjazz

No, I cannot restore or reset the camera; it is completely frozen. I have been working with the technicians, but no luck. We tried the reset mechanism without any luck. What a bummer. Looks like I have to send it in for repair. Really bad news.

Paul2660

That is a bit alarming, Phase released feature set 2 and back firmware on one day, then a 2nd set of firmware the next day. It seems this 2nd release which was supposed to be some language fixes, is causing the crashes.

Did the firmware lock the XF or IQ180 or both?

If the IQ180 would not restore to the base release, via the reset on the back, this is a first. Since the IQ backs came out, there has always been the ability to get back to base firmware of the specific back basically that version of firmware is burned in. If it locked the 180, that reminds me of my P45+ and the firmware that was supposed to allow 1 hour exposures. That bricked my P45+.

Hopefully you will get it back soon and sorry to hear the trouble.

Paul C

Smoothjazz

The crash is with the IQ180 back, the camera XF camera body works fine.
The restore unfortunately does not work to reset the firmware to a previous version. The digital screen remains gray, then the back just powers off spontaneously after about 5 seconds. I think Phase One should issue some type of software warning at this point.

Paul2660

I fully agree and am surprised they haven't by now. I would hate to brick a back due to a firmware update which is out of warranty.

Paul C