Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 87

Thread: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

  1. #1
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    Three big announcements today in Team Phase One land...

    Phase One XF Feature Update 2
    - Improved AF especially in low contrast and low light scenes
    - Focus Stacking tool
    - HDR Sequence tool
    - Timelapse tool
    - Good old fashion self-timer option
    - Redesign of hyper-focal distance tool
    - Redesign of IQ interface to look/feel more in line with XF interface

    Capture One 9.1 with support
    - handling for the Focus Stack, HDR, and time lapse features added to XF
    - Rotatable Live View
    - Metadata for tethered workflow
    - Export/Output Keyword restrictions
    - New Color Editor Tools, especially for skin tone
    - Improved Shortcuts

    Blue Ring Lens Line Expanded
    Blue Ring versions of the Schneider 110LS and 240LS lenses

    See the links above for more details. Feel free to ask any questions you have.

    We (Digital Transitions) will be releasing a set of Capture One styles on Monday that leverage some of the new skin tone tools. Stay tuned
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #2
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    Thank you Doug!

    This really look like a "Pandora's Box" of new features.

    Looks really amazing in fact!

    Best regards

    Trond
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Parikkala, Finland
    Posts
    34
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    Just updated XF and the IQ380 that I have.

    I'll have more time next week to try these out.


    Kirmo

  4. #4
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    What does it mean "free for one year" for focus stacking? After a year you pay extra? That would be a huge bucket of crap
    The focus stacking tool in the body itself (which controls the process of establishing a front and back point of focus and number of increments in between, and triggering those captures) is free forever.

    Those raw files (automatically sequentially captured by the XF with accurate spacing) can then be stacked into one TIFF using any number of third-party applications. For instance you can use the focus-stacking tool in Photoshop.

    Since Helicon Focus (the third-party focus stacking software) is widely recognized as one of the best tools for such software stacking they partnered with Helicon to provide a one year subscription to Helicon Focus to any XF owner. If you wish to continue using Helicon Focus after that year subscription that Phase One has provided then you would need to pay Helicon to continue to use Helicon's software.

    Does that clear up the confusion?
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Little Rock AR
    Posts
    1,925
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    Does Phase One provide a code to use for the Helicon software?

    Or do you enter the serial number of the XF?

    Just curious as Helicon has gone to a subscription process or yearly purchase type setup.

    Paul C

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    111
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    Focus stack capture sounds great, but am I the only one who finds this confusing? I finally found the short video from P1 (thanks DT for the links) but I still have questions:

    1 - Why is "far point" shown as 23 and the near point is 153? Doesn't it seem like the far point should be a higher number (as in farther away)?

    2 - What is the unit of measure (feet, meters, cm, inches, etc.)?

    3 - How do you use the feature if you don't have a CMOS back with good live view?

    4 - Can you set the near and far points based on lens focus position? In other words. focus on the near point and press a button to capture that position, focus the lens on the far point and press a button to capture that position, and so on.

    I do with Phase would put some effort into explaining how to use their tools. I'm sure it all seems very intuitive to the engineers who designed the system but it isn't always intuitive to the rest of us.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    Question.
    My dealer gave me a firmware update for IQ250 when I got my XF body.
    Both firmware files came with ***.fwr extension.
    Now, I'm trying to download the new firmware from phaseone.com, the file comes in ZIP format.
    When I'm extracting the ZIP file it extracts like 10 files and camera doesn't recognize it as a firmware.
    What am I doing wrong?
    Cheers

  8. #8
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Stocks View Post
    Focus stack capture sounds great, but am I the only one who finds this confusing? I finally found the short video from P1 (thanks DT for the links) but I still have questions:

    1 - Why is "far point" shown as 23 and the near point is 153? Doesn't it seem like the far point should be a higher number (as in farther away)?

    2 - What is the unit of measure (feet, meters, cm, inches, etc.)?

    3 - How do you use the feature if you don't have a CMOS back with good live view?

    4 - Can you set the near and far points based on lens focus position? In other words. focus on the near point and press a button to capture that position, focus the lens on the far point and press a button to capture that position, and so on.

    I do with Phase would put some effort into explaining how to use their tools. I'm sure it all seems very intuitive to the engineers who designed the system but it isn't always intuitive to the rest of us.
    Remember that Phase One is a dealer-driven company. You can call your dealer and have them step you through anything you need by phone or video chat or in person. But I will attempt to answer here in brief form (trying to type out answers to these questions only emphasizes how much better 1v1 voice/video answers are). I spend a good deal of each day working with clients to help them understand not just the step-by-step of a given tool, but best practices and ways for them to integrate those tools into their current workflows based on their needs and wants.

    1/2. - the unit is motor turns since that is what is being kept track of. Don't let this confuse you. You'll establish front/back point of focus other ways.

    3. Turn the lens to manual, using the optical viewfinder set the focus point, set lens to auto, save... the lens will rack out and back in to that same point and register the point of focus.

    4. Yes, as described above.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  9. #9
    Senior Member DougDolde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Joshua Tree, CA
    Posts
    484
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    All this sort of makes me wish I'd stuck with my SIMPLE Contax 645. The XF is too complicated and I really won't use any of this fluff. Not to mention the thousands of dollars I'd have saved.

  10. #10
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    Does Phase One provide a code to use for the Helicon software?
    Phaseone.com > My Pages > Register Hardware > Register your XF (see note at top of page)
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    111
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    Doug, thanks for the quick response. Yes, I could ask my dealer but it seems very inefficient for dealers to explain new features to their customers one at a time where a forum reply helps many at once. Of course it would be much more efficient if Phase One would provide documentation rather than relying on tribal knowledge.

  12. #12
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    All this sort of makes me wish I'd stuck with my SIMPLE Contax 645. The XF is too complicated and I really won't use any of this fluff. Not to mention the thousands of dollars I'd have saved.
    Simply turn the UI to "Simple" mode and all it will show you is shutter/aperture/iso/meter and nothing else.

    If you don't need any of the tools provided you don't have to use them, but more importantly you don't even have to see them. It can behave exactly as simple as a Contax, but with better AF and faster flash sync.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    111
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    Quote Originally Posted by strok View Post
    Question.
    My dealer gave me a firmware update for IQ250 when I got my XF body.
    Both firmware files came with ***.fwr extension.
    Now, I'm trying to download the new firmware from phaseone.com, the file comes in ZIP format.
    When I'm extracting the ZIP file it extracts like 10 files and camera doesn't recognize it as a firmware.
    What am I doing wrong?
    Cheers
    I have the same problem when I use Internet Explorer to download P1 firmware. Everything works fine if I use Firefox as my browser.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  14. #14
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Stocks View Post
    Of course it would be much more efficient if Phase One would provide documentation rather than relying on tribal knowledge.
    They do. The user manual has been updated and the YouTube videos uploaded. But very few users read manuals, and YouTube videos aren't very interactive and don't know who you are or what you do .
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Stocks View Post
    I have the same problem when I use Internet Explorer to download P1 firmware. Everything works fine if I use Firefox as my browser.
    Thank you Craig, the firefox did the trick.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    They do. The user manual has been updated and the YouTube videos uploaded. But very few users read manuals, and YouTube videos aren't very interactive and don't know who you are or what you do .
    Just a quick suggestion...
    Not a good option to leave the .fwr file available for download.
    The download file can be corrupted and it can damage your camera.
    If a ZIP file is corrupted, you simply can't extract it.
    Plus you can include any instructions or help file into zip file.
    Cheers

  17. #17
    Senior Member kdphotography's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Carmel/Tucson
    Posts
    2,354
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    All this sort of makes me wish I'd stuck with my SIMPLE Contax 645. The XF is too complicated and I really won't use any of this fluff. Not to mention the thousands of dollars I'd have saved.
    Most all these new features I probably won't use either, but nice to have. The XF autofocus is worth the upgrade alone (over the DF). Profoto Air Sync with leaf shutter lenses----awesome! I'd love to see an update to allow adjusting Profoto light output from the XF body too.

    ken
    www.houseoflandscapes.com
    www.kendoophotography.com
    www.carmelfineartprinting.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    111
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    Thanks for point out that the manual has been updated. The updated manual does answer some of my basic questions, and the video answers others.

    Apparently some of my frustration falls into the category of feature requests.

    Selecting near and far points can be difficult if you don't have CMOS live view. Auto focus and the focus confirmation lights don't work when you're in focus stack mode so you have to focus by eye (not my most reliable process). I've tried switching to regular exposure mode, using auto-focus to select the focus distance, then switch back to focus-stack mode, switch the lens from auto to manual and then back to auto and then select the point. Seems like it should work but the lens doesn't return to the same selected focus distance according to the scale and the images don't seem sharp. I'd like to see the focus confirmation lights stay active and have the option to simply press an "auto-focus" button rather than trying to dial the focus distance based on focus motor control units.

    I'd also like to see the camera calculate the number of frames needed based on near focus point, far focus point and selected f/stop. That might require a desired CoF setting.

  19. #19
    Senior Member DougDolde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Joshua Tree, CA
    Posts
    484
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    What about " Redesign of IQ interface to look/feel more in line with XF interface" ? It doesnt show what this looks like. At this point I don't know if I even want to upgrade the XF or back firmware

  20. #20
    Senior Member aztwang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    370
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    What about " Redesign of IQ interface to look/feel more in line with XF interface" ? It doesnt show what this looks like. At this point I don't know if I even want to upgrade the XF or back firmware
    Save your old firmware and update, iof you dont like it reinstall the original. The interface is
    highlighted Blue instead of white, easier to see and on the back you can pull up a screen of icons, I like the feature. There are probably more but thats all I see for now.

    Cheers

  21. #21
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    What about " Redesign of IQ interface to look/feel more in line with XF interface" ? It doesnt show what this looks like. At this point I don't know if I even want to upgrade the XF or back firmware
    You can see the new IQ interface in the video here:


    That video also includes how to HIDE the new features if they are not relevant to your needs. Along with the "Simple" UI option (that hides all icons other than shutter-speed/aperture/ISO/meter) this can make sure your camera is as Contax-like as possible. You'll, of course, still gain the improvements in autofocus and other small performance tweaks.

    By the way, I'm curious what, if any, changes, features, tools, or improvements you'd like to see with future firmware updates.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

  22. #22
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Stocks View Post
    Apparently some of my frustration falls into the category of feature requests.

    Selecting near and far points can be difficult if you don't have CMOS live view. Auto focus and the focus confirmation lights don't work when you're in focus stack mode so you have to focus by eye (not my most reliable process). I've tried switching to regular exposure mode, using auto-focus to select the focus distance, then switch back to focus-stack mode, switch the lens from auto to manual and then back to auto and then select the point. Seems like it should work but the lens doesn't return to the same selected focus distance according to the scale and the images don't seem sharp. I'd like to see the focus confirmation lights stay active and have the option to simply press an "auto-focus" button rather than trying to dial the focus distance based on focus motor control units.
    Sounds like you're doing something out of order. If you follow the correct steps then you can establish front and back points by guess and check, autofocus confirmation, live view (mostly useful with CMOS), focus mask, or through the viewfinder, then assign those points to the focus stack tool. This makes it not only possible, but very accurate, to use the focus stacking with a CCD back. Again, if you're struggling with this consult with your dealer and they can help you find where you are going wrong.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

  23. #23
    Senior Member DougDolde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Joshua Tree, CA
    Posts
    484
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post

    By the way, I'm curious what, if any, changes, features, tools, or improvements you'd like to see with future firmware updates.
    OK thanks for that video.

    I don't have any suggestions really. I think it's a great camera and has improved my images. Most of that credit goes to the IQ180 and Schneider 40-80mm lens, but I really like using the waist level finder, I think it makes composing more natural for landscapes anyway.

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    most all these new features i probably won't use either, but nice to have. The xf autofocus is worth the upgrade alone (over the df). Profoto air sync with leaf shutter lenses----awesome! I'd love to see an update to allow adjusting profoto light output from the xf body too.

    Ken
    BIG DITTO on the Profoto Air Sync adjustments!

  25. #25
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Bruce Peninsula, Canada
    Posts
    2,534
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    184

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    I have downloaded the new Firmware and am delighted with the focus stacking feature in particular. The other relatively minor change which I like is being able to access the XF directly from the back rather than going through the menu. Great time saver for me.

    Now it's time to go play with the other new features!

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,198
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    A very impressive update.

    I wonder whether the HDR and timelapse features can be combined?

    With regards to timelapse, it would be extremely beneficial were Phase One to work with LRTimelapse to get LRTimelapse working with Capture One.

    The IQ3 1000 is the only camera on the planet that can be used to create 12K timelapses, but without LRTimelapse integration, it can be a real pain to produce professional quality work.

    Kind regards,


    Gerald.

  27. #27
    Workshop Member Wayne Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Draper, Utah
    Posts
    871
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    134

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    I focus stack frequently so I was excited to see this new feature. However, it’s implementation is a little cumbersome and is time consuming enough to make it less useful.

    Unless I’m missing something, it requires manual focus, so probably meaning live view (which means mainly for cmos backs). A little time consuming. My dream focus stacking feature (which seems easy in my mind to implement in any autofocus camera but I haven’t seen it done) would be to autofocus on the near or far point, confirm, then autofocus on the far point, and confirm. then set total exposures and possibly even turn on a “safety” feature which would capture one additional shot slight closer and further than your two points. compose the shot, and shoot the sequence.

    I realize for macro work the current setup is probably more useful since autofocus isn’t very useful shooting macro focus stacks, but wondering if there are more people shooting landscape than macro, and those shooting serious macro are using automatic rails to move the camera. I think what I described would be useful to more. (IMHO)

    Maybe when my new back arrives with CMOS live view I’ll try it more , but right now with the IQ3 80 I”m not sure I’ll bother. My current method works pretty good ...auto focus on the far point, note where the lens has positioned itself, autofocus the near point, move the ring to manual focus, compose and start shooting the sequence, moving focus in appropriate increments until I”m at or one shot past where the lens positioned itself when autofocusing the far point. If the far point is infinity (as it is with most of my work) I skip the first step, just autofocus the near point, and shoot the sequence to infinity, judging how many shots by how close the near point is.

    One other thing I found, when shooting the sequence the camera doesn’t automatically lock the mirror up (which seem illogical, no reason for it to drop down). You can get around this by moving back to the main screen after setting up your 3 parameters, locking the mirror up, then moving back the focus stack tool and triggering the sequence.

    Kudos to Phase for working on adding tools to the camera. Personally I find the Phase interface pretty simple (shoot with a sony for a while and you’ll want to slit your wrists ) and certainly most of the time I’m just in manual mode adjusting f stop and shutter speeds like I have for 40 years, but I do find occasion to use some of the tools, and the learning curve isn’t very steep.
    wayne
    My gallery
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  28. #28
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    Wayne, you can use the new focus stacking tool exactly as you describe but with th XF automatically dividing the scene into as many slices as you desire. Take another look and if you're struggling have your dealer step you through it.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  29. #29
    Senior Member etrump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,206
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    Man, this is awesome stuff! I will use every bit of it. I'm feeling like a kid in a candy store.

    Does anyone know if this update does anything to fix the whacky metering? It seems like it is never right in low light especially.

    Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    Most all these new features I probably won't use either, but nice to have. The XF autofocus is worth the upgrade alone (over the DF). Profoto Air Sync with leaf shutter lenses----awesome! I'd love to see an update to allow adjusting Profoto light output from the XF body too.

    ken
    Ed Cooley Fine Art Photography
     
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    North Sweden
    Posts
    1,401
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    I updated last night, probably stupidly as I'm in a hotel room in the middle of the Lofoten Islands with crap internet but you only live once! Spent the morning trying all the features out and although I may not use them all regularly, I love the fact that the system is being improved and releases are free, everything works really well! As above Wayne, I used focus stacking exactly as you want to use it, it's pretty easy to af front and rear points and let it do it's thing.

    Overall, I think the XF is becoming a really useful tool, I was a little worried about accessing all the functionality but even though it's blowing a snow storm here and rather chilly, it's all easy to use with gloves on which is great.

    Anyway, thanks for the update.

    Mat
    http://matrichardson.com/
    Workshops for 2018! http://www.matrichardson.com/workshops
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  31. #31
    Senior Member DougDolde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Joshua Tree, CA
    Posts
    484
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    Isn't the time lapse feature hard on the shutter be it leaf or FP?

  32. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    North Sweden
    Posts
    1,401
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    No more so than on any camera Doug, if you are going to fire off thousands of shots for a timelapse then they will obviously count towards what the manufacturer guarantees as shutter life but that's just the nature of shooting timelapse.

    Mat

  33. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Little Rock AR
    Posts
    1,925
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    One of the neat basic features of the XF is that it has a TIMER!! (awesome feature), which all modern cameras should have, i.e. you can time a shot beyond 30".

    A lot of timelaspe work, for at least astro shots, will be more like 2 minute shots or longer, so the wear on the shutter won't be that bad, but if you are wanting to create a timelaspe video from daylight work, then yes, you will put quite a lot of wear on the shutter, as most times these are a series of 5" or 10" shots over a long period of time.

    For me, the 35mm DSLR or gopro even type cameras are better suited for timelaspe in daylight.

    But for sure you can do it now, and since the daylight exposures most times are less than 10" all Phase One backs, CCD or CMOS could do this.

    Great to see this added for sure.

    Paul C

  34. #34
    Workshop Member Wayne Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Draper, Utah
    Posts
    871
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    134

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    Quote Originally Posted by mjr View Post
    As above Wayne, I used focus stacking exactly as you want to use it, it's pretty easy to af front and rear points and let it do it's thing.
    interesting. While in focus stack mode, autofocusing is disabled for me, nothing I do triggers an autofocus. If I enable the half press of the shutter and try that, it moves back to the main capture screen mode and the camera focuses, but when I move back to focus stack the motor position is not noted in the display. enabling focus via the rear button doesnít trigger autofocus (and is the button used to trigger the sequence.). No button press or anything else will actually cause the camera to autofocus.

    Nothing in the video or the new version of the user manual describes triggering an autofocus while in the focus stack mode to allow registering one of the focus points, it just says focusing is done using the front and rear dials to adjust the focus.

    Not sure what Iím missing.
    wayne
    My gallery

  35. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    North Sweden
    Posts
    1,401
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    Wayne

    I just checked again, I focussed with the af to the close point, don't think this matters, flipped across to the stacking screen and saved that point as start point, then half press shutter to get back to main screen, used af to focus on far point, flipped back across to the stacking screen and set that point as the far point, selected the number of shots and pressed the rear button to start the process. Does that not work for you?

    Mat

  36. #36
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    Quote Originally Posted by mjr View Post
    I just checked again, I focussed with the af to the close point, don't think this matters, flipped across to the stacking screen and saved that point as start point, then half press shutter to get back to main screen, used af to focus on far point, flipped back across to the stacking screen and set that point as the far point, selected the number of shots and pressed the rear button to start the process. Does that not work for you?
    I think what Wayne is missing is that you do the AF (or other CCD friendly focus methods) outside the tool, and then flip over to the tool to save that AF point.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

  37. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    I discovered a small point relative to the use of these new tools within the XF.
    I have my camera set to "back button focus". This is the way all of my cameras are set up. The XF tools are linked to the back button to initiate them. So, normally, with the focus under the shutter button, the rear button is free to initiate these functions. With back button focus, it is not. So, the functions do not work unless you return focus to the shutter button.

    It is not a huge deal, but with the incredible programming versatility of this camera, one would think there would be a way to keep the back button focus and still use these tools. So, when I want to use the timer, the intervalometer or the focus stacking tool, I have to go into the menus and change the focus button from the back button to the shutter button, use the tool I want and then go back into the menus an change the focus to the back button again.

    I haven't tried setting up two separate custom setups. That could speed things up by having Custom Setup 1 be back button focus and Custom Setup 2 be shutter button focus. I will have to try that.
    Ken
    http://www.transposure.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  38. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    North Sweden
    Posts
    1,401
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    Hi Ken

    I have mine set up the same, rear button focus but don't do what you are doing with changing focus buttons, I just focus where i want and when I'm ready to do whatever program, stacking, bracketing, hdr, I swipe across and press rear button to start, I do all focussing before, then just go to the program to set parameters and activate. Might be worth trying that way?

    Edit. It sounds like you are deciding you want to use a function, going to it and then wanting to set the camera up whilst inside the function, I am just setting up the camera to do what I want and then at the last minute going to the function to activate, if that makes sense!
    Mat
    http://matrichardson.com/
    Workshops for 2018! http://www.matrichardson.com/workshops
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  39. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    Quote Originally Posted by mjr View Post
    Hi Ken

    I have mine set up the same, rear button focus but don't do what you are doing with changing focus buttons, I just focus where i want and when I'm ready to do whatever program, stacking, bracketing, hdr, I swipe across and press rear button to start, I do all focussing before, then just go to the program to set parameters and activate. Might be worth trying that way?

    Edit. It sounds like you are deciding you want to use a function, going to it and then wanting to set the camera up whilst inside the function, I am just setting up the camera to do what I want and then at the last minute going to the function to activate, if that makes sense!
    Mat
    Mat,
    Thanks! I tried it and it works. However, a couple questions..
    1. Focus Stacking: So, let me make sure I have this right. You are basically setting up your first focus point limit as if you were going to take a single shot, but you then go into the focus stacking tool and hit either top or bottom silver button to register that focus. Does it matter which one? Far point = mountains? Close point = flower? Then, you exit the focus stacking tool and focus on the second focus point as if taking a single shot, go back into the tool and hit the opposite silver button to register the second focus limit. Then hit the rear button the initiate. Make sense?
    2. I have noticed when hitting one of the silver buttons, the opposite limit is set (next to the other silver button). Is this because I am not paying attention to close and far focus limits?

    Ken

  40. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    North Sweden
    Posts
    1,401
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    No problem Ken, I have packed it away now but will go see the exact process I used, I am almost positive you are right on point 1, i believe that once you have recorded the 2 points of start and stop, i think the camera puts the the right way round based on which point is closer, will check though!

    Mat

  41. #41
    Senior Member aztwang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    370
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    As of Today 3/18 new firmware out. XF 2.01.2 , IQ250 4.01.2 and there's one out for IQ 160 & 180

    Cheers


    Don
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  42. #42
    Senior Member DougDolde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Joshua Tree, CA
    Posts
    484
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    Quote Originally Posted by aztwang View Post
    As of Today 3/18 new firmware out. XF 2.01.2 , IQ250 4.01.2 and there's one out for IQ 160 & 180

    Cheers
    Don
    Oh great they released it too soon

  43. #43
    Workshop Member Wayne Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Draper, Utah
    Posts
    871
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    134

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    Quote Originally Posted by mjr View Post
    Wayne

    I just checked again, I focussed with the af to the close point, don't think this matters, flipped across to the stacking screen and saved that point as start point, then half press shutter to get back to main screen, used af to focus on far point, flipped back across to the stacking screen and set that point as the far point, selected the number of shots and pressed the rear button to start the process. Does that not work for you?

    Mat
    nope. I also disabled the focus function on the rear button as mentioned by ken, still doesn’t work. then I reset the camera to defaults thinking some other setting I’m using may be causing the problem. No difference.

    If I autofocus on a point, then flip over to the screen (why should I have flip back and forth between screens?), setting one of the buttons just puts a 0 in the box. The current motor position setting shows a question mark. Touching the question mark homes the lens and then moves it to an arbitrary position. If I then flip back and autofocus, then back to the tool, the motor position again shows a question mark. clicking either button simply enters a 0 as the focus point. I’ve been trying everything I can think of for a while now, and nothing works to use autofocus to set the points.

    Edit: I just installed the new firmware mentioned above, no change. Interesting the release an update one day later and don’t bother mentioning why.
    wayne
    My gallery

  44. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    I work for a corporate studio and we just took delivery of three new XF systems. Is there a way to look thru the camera without it being turned on? It is a real pain to keep the camera powered on while I prop out a set and check composition. The batteries seem to drain very fast. Would using the "Simple" mode described earlier help save the battery?

    Thanks,
    Patrick

  45. #45
    Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    5,800
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    564

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    You can set the power management option for the mirror to be down and not perform MUP on power off.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

    As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

  46. #46
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Collard View Post
    I work for a corporate studio and we just took delivery of three new XF systems. Is there a way to look thru the camera without it being turned on? It is a real pain to keep the camera powered on while I prop out a set and check composition. The batteries seem to drain very fast. Would using the "Simple" mode described earlier help save the battery?
    If you're in a still life or product setting you can also use the USB3/1.2BC spec or FW800, or the FW-AC options for power. Depending on which of these methods, which back you have, and what you're doing (eg little live view or lots of live view) this will either eliminate the need for battery changes or greatly reduce them. There is also an AC-to-XF solution coming soon.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

  47. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    876
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    Or just use a USB battery pack

  48. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    Thanks Doug and Christopher. I am using the XF and an IQ360 tethered to a Mac Pro using a firewire 800 to thunder bolt adapter. The battery still drains pretty fast. We also use the Manfrotto 410 geared head which will not allow us to change the battery on the back while it is mounted to the tripod. The problem with that is we shoot in layers using different exposures a lot and the battery will sometimes dye in the middle of the shoot. It then becomes very difficult to maintain registration when we remove the camera from the head to change the battery.

    Is there any camera body that can be used with the IQ360 that doesn't need to be powered on to look thru the viewfinder (DF, DF+, Mamiya 645 AFD, or similar)? We are using the new Schneider 35mm, 55mm, 80mm and 120mm lenses (blue line). Our photographers are not using any of the new features on the XF. We set everything manually including focus like an old manual everything camera. We are coming from Hasselblad 501CM bodies.

    I am trying to get my head wrapped around this new system. I'd like to get the camera interface simplified as much as possible so I can focus on the photography and no the camera. It can be so frustrating that we leave the expensive Phase One gear in the studio for location work and shoot our Canon gear instead (we have found it more reliable, not what Phase wants to hear I know). Your help is greatly appreciated.

    Patrick

  49. #49
    Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    5,800
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    564

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Collard View Post
    Is there any camera body that can be used with the IQ360 that doesn't need to be powered on to look thru the viewfinder (DF, DF+, Mamiya 645 AFD, or similar)? We are using the new Schneider 35mm, 55mm, 80mm and 120mm lenses (blue line). Our photographers are not using any of the new features on the XF. We set everything manually including focus like an old manual everything camera. We are coming from Hasselblad 501CM bodies.

    ...

    Patrick
    As I said earlier, you DON'T NEED TO HAVE POWER ON to view through the XF body if you set the option Power Management -> Mirror Down
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

    As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

  50. #50
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: XF Feature Update 2, Capture One 9.1

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Collard View Post
    Thanks Doug and Christopher. I am using the XF and an IQ360 tethered to a Mac Pro using a firewire 800 to thunder bolt adapter. The battery still drains pretty fast. We also use the Manfrotto 410 geared head which will not allow us to change the battery on the back while it is mounted to the tripod. The problem with that is we shoot in layers using different exposures a lot and the battery will sometimes dye in the middle of the shoot. It then becomes very difficult to maintain registration when we remove the camera from the head to change the battery.

    Is there any camera body that can be used with the IQ360 that doesn't need to be powered on to look thru the viewfinder (DF, DF+, Mamiya 645 AFD, or similar)? We are using the new Schneider 35mm, 55mm, 80mm and 120mm lenses (blue line). Our photographers are not using any of the new features on the XF. We set everything manually including focus like an old manual everything camera. We are coming from Hasselblad 501CM bodies.

    I am trying to get my head wrapped around this new system. I'd like to get the camera interface simplified as much as possible so I can focus on the photography and no the camera. It can be so frustrating that we leave the expensive Phase One gear in the studio for location work and shoot our Canon gear instead (we have found it more reliable, not what Phase wants to hear I know). Your help is greatly appreciated.

    Patrick


    It sounds like you might benefit from some on-site consultation training with your dealer. If they don't offer such as service we'd be glad to offer you on-site consultation/training. Forums are great to answer the questions you know to ask (which I have answered below), but it's not great to find out what you don't know you don't know.

    As Graham says the mirror behavior can be changed, but this is band-aid. You want a proper power solution. There are several that I outlined above.

    If you're using the FW>Thunderbolt convertor then you aren't getting enough power to run/charge the back; the Thunderbolt convertor doesn't pass enough power to do so. Instead we would recommend (for a studio scenario) to use a Thunderbolt Hub which has a native FW power port which will provide sufficient power. Alternatively a FW-AC adapter with a USB cable would provide you slightly faster image transfer especially if you ever shoot in bursts. Please make sure you change the power management settings on the back to Slow Charge for FW and Fast charge for FW-AC.

    As for instability... if you're having any instability with an XF and IQ3 you should work with your dealer to find and eliminate the source of that instability. That combo should be rock solid. Maybe user error like an errant setting (e.g. turning on zero latency on a body where that isn't correct), maybe bad accessories )like using an older battery you had from a previous back that isn't a 3400mAh battery or a bad cable), or corrupted firmware, or an errant setting or... of course without knowing what instability and without working with you on troubleshooting all I can do is speculate. I'd also avoid the thunderbolt>FW adapter; it's quite good but not as good as a native FW or USB option.

    As for simplicity I'd suggest considering some or all of the following:
    - Stripping all non-used icons out of C1's toolbar
    - Removing all tools not used in C1's toolbar
    - Consolidating tool tabes in C1 down to 5 or 6 tabs
    - 2 monitor setup with browser only on 2nd monitor
    - Removing the unused tools (e.g. timelapse) from the XF menu
    - Switching the XF interface to the simple mode
    - Removing AF from the shutter release
    - Removing all functions from the additional two buttons
    - Removing ISO from the third dial
    - Saving all of the above as workspaces (C1) and Save>Settings (XF)
    - Setting up a Session Template for your desired folder structure, naming, and output
    - Switching to Profoto Air lights and use the XF's built-in Air Transmitter (less cables, batteries, connections to worry about)
    Last edited by dougpeterson; 19th March 2016 at 08:44.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •