The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What do you saw off older Mamiya lenses to fit on Phase XF body? :)

cyron123

Hello guys,

does the Mamiya AF 55-110mm f4.5 work with the new XF body from Phase One? I have a really good one and i dont want to sell it if i change to the XF...

Thank you.

0beone

No problem... I think the only real difference in reality is the speed of AF and of course possible the IQ of the lens - other than that it fits right on the XF...

Cheers
Frank

Hello guys,

does the Mamiya AF 55-110mm f4.5 work with the new XF body from Phase One? I have a really good one and i dont want to sell it if i change to the XF...

Thank you.

M

mjr

Sorry to bring this back up!

I have just picked up an older 150mm f2.8A lens in excellent condition but obviously it won't fit without modification. I have looked at all the info for altering a C lens but this is different. Anyone know if it's possible to modify the 150 2.8A to fit and if so, any guides to do the work?

Many thanks

Mat

faneuil

You want SK Grimes! - He did the mod perfectly for me!
http://www.skgrimes.com/

eric

Sorry to bring this back up!

I have just picked up an older 150mm f2.8A lens in excellent condition but obviously it won't fit without modification. I have looked at all the info for altering a C lens but this is different. Anyone know if it's possible to modify the 150 2.8A to fit and if so, any guides to do the work?

Many thanks

Mat

M

mjr

Thanks Eric, I'd be happy to do it myself if I can find what needs to be altered, I'm pretty handy with a hammer!

Mat

narikin

Sorry to reactivate an older thread, but has anyone got a fresh solution to this?
Phase's instructions and images are really poor in this:

which is stopping me from searching for 'Dremel starter kit' on Amazon!

Otherwise I guess using SK Grimes is the answer, or is there another pro place on East Coast?

Thanks!

ps Surprised someone isn't selling a swap-out plate! Decent business opportunity for those who care...

algrove

Good gosh, guys, it's as easy as filing your nails. Remove the 3 screws and look at the Phase photos and do the same with a flat metal file you probably have in your garage. Smooth out rouigh spots and it's all done. Paint black after filing if the silver bothers you. Have done 3 so far including a 500mm-no issues.

narikin

Good gosh, guys, it's as easy as filing your nails. Remove the 3 screws and look at the Phase photos and do the same with a flat metal file you probably have in your garage. Smooth out rouigh spots and it's all done. Paint black after filing if the silver bothers you. Have done 3 so far including a 500mm-no issues.
Thanks for advice.

Be great if you could take a few photos of the next one you do. The Phase instructions/photos are very poor - are we removing a vertical piece or something from the flat disc itself? It's probably blindingly obvious once you've done one, but not till then!

Mine has a bright steel ring locked in place by 3 screws. Easily removed, but its the black inner ring/bayonet(?) that goes much deeper into the back of the lens. (Probably that depth varies by lens?) I think you are supposed to remove part of the vertical edge of the black rings circumference. But as I'm guessing, I'm going to get it done professionally, this time, at least.

On another note - hows that Mamiya 500mm?!

algrove

Thanks for advice.

Be great if you could take a few photos of the next one you do. The Phase instructions/photos are very poor - are we removing a vertical piece or something from the flat disc itself? It's probably blindingly obvious once you've done one, but not till then!

Mine has a bright steel ring locked in place by 3 screws. Easily removed, but its the black inner ring/bayonet(?) that goes much deeper into the back of the lens. (Probably that depth varies by lens?) I think you are supposed to remove part of the vertical edge of the black rings circumference. But as I'm guessing, I'm going to get it done professionally, this time, at least.

On another note - hows that Mamiya 500mm?!
My 500 is very good and even came in the original case (cheap plastic) and original box, but the 300 APO AF is better and my favorite thanks to Graham Welland's post some time back taken in Monument Valley.

Yes, it's the vertical small lip running around the mounting bracket that prevents mounting on your XF. You file about 2/3's of it away from say 10:30 to11 all the way around to like 6 ot 7 o'clock exactly like the PO article shows. I do not remember where one starts or ends but those "o'clock" comments are approximate. I'll try to send you a photo.

thminhduc

Yes, it's the vertical small lip running around the mounting bracket that prevents mounting on your XF. You file about 2/3's of it away from say 10:30 to11 all the way around to like 6 ot 7 o'clock exactly like the PO article shows. I do not remember where one starts or ends but those "o'clock" comments are approximate. I'll try to send you a photo.
Need to revive this as I'm having issue with an adapter. Look like the instruction from Phase One is now at https://support.phaseone.com/knowledgebase/article/KA-01014/en-us

But I cannot get a reference on where to shave it, as the adapter does not have the same holes. So, do I shave off 11 to 6 o'clock with the red dot at 12 o'clock?

Thanks

algrove

It's been so long ago I cannot find or remember the instructions back then. Give it a try as you cannot go wrong since if it will not mount then file more away.-IMHO.