The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

XF Camera Focus Stacking, step by step, with Brad Kaye

Steve Hendrix

Sorry everyone that I've not been as present as usual, many of you, among others, are keeping me very busy with off-forum matters, that I'm grateful for. As we go along, all I can say is what an amazing time for camera technology! I'm sure this year will yield even more interesting developments.

I do see there have been some users having a go with the Focus Stack tool, with some varying results.

This past week, Brad Kaye, our CI IEMT (Intrepid Expert of Many Things), spent some time with the Focus Stack tool from the version 2 software and published this hands on report, which may be helpful.

https://captureintegration.com/phase-one-xf-feature-focus-stack-tool/

Also - CI has rated the firmware updates for XF and IQ cameras as *Approved for XF, *Not approved for IQ. See below link for details:

https://captureintegration.com/xf-feature-update-2-firmware-update-fw2-01-2-approved/

Steve Hendrix
CI

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Also - CI has rated the firmware updates for XF and IQ cameras as *Approved for XF, *Not approved for IQ. See below link for details:

CI
so “not approved” means you just haven’t tested it yet, or there is an issue you feel needs addressed?

M

mjr

I have the same question, what does not approved mean? Not approved for what? Not approved by P1 or by you guys? Doesn't really give any details on your website.

Mat

Steve Hendrix

I have the same question, what does not approved mean? Not approved for what? Not approved by P1 or by you guys? Doesn't really give any details on your website.

Mat

Good questions Mat.

"Not approved", means we have tested and have not approved, are recommending that users currently do not update. Meaning we are not satisfied with some element, typically reliability, of the update. If we have not tested, then we will always state that we will be testing and posting results. We won't state "Not approved" if we haven't tested.

Steve Hendrix/CI

gerald.d

Great write up.

Is this true though?

"If you are a current Phase One Owner, just go to My Pages section of Phase One’s website and register for your free license."

Previous comments have suggested the free license is only for XF owners.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

M

mjr

Good questions Mat.

"Not approved", means we have tested and have not approved, are recommending that users currently do not update. Meaning we are not satisfied with some element, typically reliability, of the update. If we have not tested, then we will always state that we will be testing and posting results. We won't state "Not approved" if we haven't tested.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Thanks Steve, any indication what the issue is and if there will be an update to rectify any issues? Reliability in what regard? For those of us who have already updated, what is suggested?

Mat

sc_john

Is DF focus stacking intended for macro work, or can it also be used in near/far landscape? Thanks.

John

Steve Hendrix

Thanks Steve, any indication what the issue is and if there will be an update to rectify any issues? Reliability in what regard? For those of us who have already updated, what is suggested?

Mat

Hi Mat -

If you have already updated, and made it past the update process with no issues, then ... simply be alert. The issues we encountered were noticed during or immediately after the updating stage itself, hence the warning.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Paul2660

Is DF focus stacking intended for macro work, or can it also be used in near/far landscape? Thanks.

John

Hi John

I am assuming you mean XF, not DF, but yes. It works great. Excellent results with both the 55LS and 35LS with 6 to 8 total frames.

There seem to be some bugs in the firmware but once you get a solution the stacking part works very well.

Paul C

Steve Hendrix

Great write up.

Is this true though?

"If you are a current Phase One Owner, just go to My Pages section of Phase One’s website and register for your free license."

Previous comments have suggested the free license is only for XF owners.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

It is purposefully intended to produce a license code for an XF registrant (I believe). However, with the code being accessible through product registration from Phase One's website, I cannot comment on how specifically this is working at the moment.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Paul2660

It is purposefully intended to produce a license code for an XF registrant (I believe). However, with the code being accessible through product registration from Phase One's website, I cannot comment on how specifically this is working at the moment.

Steve Hendrix/CI
With the XF, as soon as you register it, the next screen that comes up is the screen with the Helicon info. Then you can select Mac or Win and you get a code.

Not sure what happens if you have already registered your XF?

Paul C

Paul2660

The 35LS to me is a game changer. Exceptional lens and rivals the 32 HR-W in both quality and price.

Looking back I might have done better with the 40-80mm.

But I have wondered what the hyper focal range of the 40-80 is. The 35 LS has a very good hyper focal from what I have shot so far.

Paul C

DougDolde

The 35LS to me is a game changer. Exceptional lens and rivals the 32 HR-W in both quality and price.

Looking back I might have done better with the 40-80mm.

But I have wondered what the hyper focal range of the 40-80 is. The 35 LS has a very good hyper focal from what I have shot so far.

Paul C
I have the 40-80mm and apart from the fact it's a monster, its a very sharp lens through the range. I don't know about the hyperfocal properties but I would think they match the primes at whatever focal length its set at. I like it because I don't have to change lenses so often. I have a very sharp 28mm so the 35mm would be a bit overkill for me. Not that I wouldn't want it :)

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Hi Mat -

If you have already updated, and made it past the update process with no issues, then ... simply be alert. The issues we encountered were noticed during or immediately after the updating stage itself, hence the warning.

Steve Hendrix/CI
I have updated my IQ3 100 with no problems - I have exposed several dozen frames since with no issues.

Smoothjazz

Can anyone help me with my XF firmware update? This happens to me everytime, and I can never seem to get it; I can get the firmware to download onto my computer as a zip drive, or onto a CF card. The problem then is that the camera still does not recognize it. Do I need to unzip the file first? I seem to recall there was something to having to save to the CF card root drive. How does this work again?
I wish Phase would just give a step by step instruction for this each time!!
Thanks everyone.

John

Craig Stocks

Can anyone help me with my XF firmware update? This happens to me everytime, and I can never seem to get it; I can get the firmware to download onto my computer as a zip drive, or onto a CF card. The problem then is that the camera still does not recognize it. Do I need to unzip the file first? I seem to recall there was something to having to save to the CF card root drive. How does this work again?
I wish Phase would just give a step by step instruction for this each time!!
Thanks everyone.

John
The Phase One download link doesn't work correctly with Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser. I use Firefox and it works fine.