Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: XF Camera Focus Stacking, step by step, with Brad Kaye

  1. #1
    Senior Member Steve Hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    420
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    XF Camera Focus Stacking, step by step, with Brad Kaye

    Sorry everyone that I've not been as present as usual, many of you, among others, are keeping me very busy with off-forum matters, that I'm grateful for. As we go along, all I can say is what an amazing time for camera technology! I'm sure this year will yield even more interesting developments.

    I do see there have been some users having a go with the Focus Stack tool, with some varying results.

    This past week, Brad Kaye, our CI IEMT (Intrepid Expert of Many Things), spent some time with the Focus Stack tool from the version 2 software and published this hands on report, which may be helpful.

    https://captureintegration.com/phase...us-stack-tool/


    Also - CI has rated the firmware updates for XF and IQ cameras as *Approved for XF, *Not approved for IQ. See below link for details:

    https://captureintegration.com/xf-fe...01-2-approved/


    Steve Hendrix
    CI
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: • Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar • Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar • Authorized Reseller

  2. #2
    Workshop Member Wayne Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Draper, Utah
    Posts
    871
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    134

    Re: XF Camera Focus Stacking, step by step, with Brad Kaye

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post

    Also - CI has rated the firmware updates for XF and IQ cameras as *Approved for XF, *Not approved for IQ. See below link for details:

    CI
    so “not approved” means you just haven’t tested it yet, or there is an issue you feel needs addressed?
    wayne
    My gallery

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    North Sweden
    Posts
    1,401
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Camera Focus Stacking, step by step, with Brad Kaye

    I have the same question, what does not approved mean? Not approved for what? Not approved by P1 or by you guys? Doesn't really give any details on your website.

    Mat

  4. #4
    Senior Member Steve Hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    420
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: XF Camera Focus Stacking, step by step, with Brad Kaye

    Quote Originally Posted by mjr View Post
    I have the same question, what does not approved mean? Not approved for what? Not approved by P1 or by you guys? Doesn't really give any details on your website.

    Mat

    Good questions Mat.

    "Not approved", means we have tested and have not approved, are recommending that users currently do not update. Meaning we are not satisfied with some element, typically reliability, of the update. If we have not tested, then we will always state that we will be testing and posting results. We won't state "Not approved" if we haven't tested.


    Steve Hendrix/CI
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: • Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar • Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar • Authorized Reseller
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,198
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Camera Focus Stacking, step by step, with Brad Kaye

    Great write up.

    Is this true though?

    "If you are a current Phase One Owner, just go to My Pages section of Phase One’s website and register for your free license."

    Previous comments have suggested the free license is only for XF owners.

    Kind regards,

    Gerald.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    North Sweden
    Posts
    1,401
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Camera Focus Stacking, step by step, with Brad Kaye

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    Good questions Mat.

    "Not approved", means we have tested and have not approved, are recommending that users currently do not update. Meaning we are not satisfied with some element, typically reliability, of the update. If we have not tested, then we will always state that we will be testing and posting results. We won't state "Not approved" if we haven't tested.


    Steve Hendrix/CI
    Thanks Steve, any indication what the issue is and if there will be an update to rectify any issues? Reliability in what regard? For those of us who have already updated, what is suggested?

    Mat

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    300
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Camera Focus Stacking, step by step, with Brad Kaye

    Is DF focus stacking intended for macro work, or can it also be used in near/far landscape? Thanks.

    John

  8. #8
    Senior Member Steve Hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    420
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: XF Camera Focus Stacking, step by step, with Brad Kaye

    Quote Originally Posted by mjr View Post
    Thanks Steve, any indication what the issue is and if there will be an update to rectify any issues? Reliability in what regard? For those of us who have already updated, what is suggested?

    Mat

    Hi Mat -

    If you have already updated, and made it past the update process with no issues, then ... simply be alert. The issues we encountered were noticed during or immediately after the updating stage itself, hence the warning.


    Steve Hendrix/CI
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: • Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar • Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar • Authorized Reseller
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Little Rock AR
    Posts
    1,926
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: XF Camera Focus Stacking, step by step, with Brad Kaye

    Quote Originally Posted by sc_john View Post
    Is DF focus stacking intended for macro work, or can it also be used in near/far landscape? Thanks.

    John

    Hi John

    I am assuming you mean XF, not DF, but yes. It works great. Excellent results with both the 55LS and 35LS with 6 to 8 total frames.

    There seem to be some bugs in the firmware but once you get a solution the stacking part works very well.

    Paul C

  10. #10
    Senior Member Steve Hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    420
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: XF Camera Focus Stacking, step by step, with Brad Kaye

    Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    Great write up.

    Is this true though?

    "If you are a current Phase One Owner, just go to My Pages section of Phase One’s website and register for your free license."

    Previous comments have suggested the free license is only for XF owners.

    Kind regards,

    Gerald.

    It is purposefully intended to produce a license code for an XF registrant (I believe). However, with the code being accessible through product registration from Phase One's website, I cannot comment on how specifically this is working at the moment.


    Steve Hendrix/CI
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: • Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar • Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar • Authorized Reseller

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Little Rock AR
    Posts
    1,926
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: XF Camera Focus Stacking, step by step, with Brad Kaye

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    It is purposefully intended to produce a license code for an XF registrant (I believe). However, with the code being accessible through product registration from Phase One's website, I cannot comment on how specifically this is working at the moment.


    Steve Hendrix/CI
    With the XF, as soon as you register it, the next screen that comes up is the screen with the Helicon info. Then you can select Mac or Win and you get a code.

    Not sure what happens if you have already registered your XF?

    Paul C

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    300
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Camera Focus Stacking, step by step, with Brad Kaye

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    Hi John

    I am assuming you mean XF, not DF...
    Paul C
    Paul,

    Yes I did mean the XF. Thanks for your response. Given what I have read about quality of 35LS, makes me wonder about DF vs my cambo kit.

    John

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Little Rock AR
    Posts
    1,926
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: XF Camera Focus Stacking, step by step, with Brad Kaye

    The 35LS to me is a game changer. Exceptional lens and rivals the 32 HR-W in both quality and price.

    Looking back I might have done better with the 40-80mm.

    But I have wondered what the hyper focal range of the 40-80 is. The 35 LS has a very good hyper focal from what I have shot so far.

    Paul C
    Paul Caldwell
    [email protected]
    www.photosofarkansas.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  14. #14
    Senior Member DougDolde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Joshua Tree, CA
    Posts
    484
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Camera Focus Stacking, step by step, with Brad Kaye

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    The 35LS to me is a game changer. Exceptional lens and rivals the 32 HR-W in both quality and price.

    Looking back I might have done better with the 40-80mm.

    But I have wondered what the hyper focal range of the 40-80 is. The 35 LS has a very good hyper focal from what I have shot so far.

    Paul C
    I have the 40-80mm and apart from the fact it's a monster, its a very sharp lens through the range. I don't know about the hyperfocal properties but I would think they match the primes at whatever focal length its set at. I like it because I don't have to change lenses so often. I have a very sharp 28mm so the 35mm would be a bit overkill for me. Not that I wouldn't want it

  15. #15
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Bruce Peninsula, Canada
    Posts
    2,535
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    184

    Re: XF Camera Focus Stacking, step by step, with Brad Kaye

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    Hi Mat -

    If you have already updated, and made it past the update process with no issues, then ... simply be alert. The issues we encountered were noticed during or immediately after the updating stage itself, hence the warning.


    Steve Hendrix/CI
    I have updated my IQ3 100 with no problems - I have exposed several dozen frames since with no issues.
    Bill CB

    www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    180
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Camera Focus Stacking, step by step, with Brad Kaye

    Can anyone help me with my XF firmware update? This happens to me everytime, and I can never seem to get it; I can get the firmware to download onto my computer as a zip drive, or onto a CF card. The problem then is that the camera still does not recognize it. Do I need to unzip the file first? I seem to recall there was something to having to save to the CF card root drive. How does this work again?
    I wish Phase would just give a step by step instruction for this each time!!
    Thanks everyone.

    John

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    North Sweden
    Posts
    1,401
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Camera Focus Stacking, step by step, with Brad Kaye

    Smoothjazz, if you look on the Phase youtube channel you can find guides for all sorts of things, here's the one for firmware update..

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvGGqWXM13c

    Mat

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    111
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: XF Camera Focus Stacking, step by step, with Brad Kaye

    Quote Originally Posted by Smoothjazz View Post
    Can anyone help me with my XF firmware update? This happens to me everytime, and I can never seem to get it; I can get the firmware to download onto my computer as a zip drive, or onto a CF card. The problem then is that the camera still does not recognize it. Do I need to unzip the file first? I seem to recall there was something to having to save to the CF card root drive. How does this work again?
    I wish Phase would just give a step by step instruction for this each time!!
    Thanks everyone.

    John
    The Phase One download link doesn't work correctly with Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser. I use Firefox and it works fine.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •