The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One Styles

DougDolde

Ugh no thanks

Why would anyone want someone else's canned idea of what their image should look like?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Why would anyone want someone else's canned idea of what their image should look like?
In my experience a set of styles with a broad range of looks can be a good way to explore how your image looks under a variety of conditions. This is not only faster than experimenting with a broad range of sliders yourself, but it also opens the possibility of "happy accidents". That is, discovering that a particular look suits an image when you wouldn't have otherwise pursued that look.

I think this is true even if you are a master user. It's like a professional and experienced bartender going to a bartender's cutting-edge-cocktail tasting. You'll probably be thoroughly unimpressed by some of the drinks, but you might find a combination of ingredients you otherwise wouldn't consider. Given the number of ingredients present in C1 it seems a strong possibility.

I'd also fully expect most users would use these as "jumping off points" - that is, apply a Portra style to an image and then continue to tweak to their individual aesthetics. In other words it's not imposing someone else's "canned idea of what their image should look like" but rather providing a set of flexible tools and starting points (137 to be precise) to expand your palette of possibilities and help you explore an image more efficiently and more completely.

But then again, I'm biased :).

Frederic

Some more unprocessed/processed examples on DT website could be interesting I guess. It's difficult to assess the interest/usefulness of those 137 styles with only 10 of them to experiment with.

Hulyss Bowman

I'm amazed by this kind of commercial posts. This should go in the buy and sale section. What should look the forum if everyone over here start to sell their own C1 or LR "cook books" ??

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
I agree with Hulyss. This post should be moved to buy/sell and should not be allowed to post something like this again. It's a shame and waste of everyone's times. It's way too commercial.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I agree with Hulyss. This post should be moved to buy/sell and should not be allowed to post something like this again. It's a shame and waste of everyone's times. It's way too commercial.
The topic had come up in an earlier thread and several people reached out to me about it (even though it was just a vague mention that we'd be coming out with our own styles). To me this is a bit different than some random spammer stopping by, making a post about something they are selling, and then bolting. But by all means if the consensus is this thread was too commercial and not of any value in the community sense then I'm glad to have the admins move it and would respect that decision in the future. Over at LL the sentiment was all positive, but they are a different community altogether.

- - - Updated - - -

Some more unprocessed/processed examples on DT website could be interesting I guess. It's difficult to assess the interest/usefulness of those 137 styles with only 10 of them to experiment with.
That's fair! We've added another set of examples to the bottom of the page and hope to add more in the coming weeks. I may also make a short screen video showing and explaining them on a variety of images as this may be more illustrative than static before/after examples anyway.

https://digitaltransitions.com/capture-one-style-pack/

jagsiva

I thought CI, DT etc., were paid advertisers here and as such had some leeway on posts, and I totally get that. It is also different from me posting my kid's rebel S in a F/S in the MF forum.

Lately there has been such a harsh general reaction to any posts from vendors that we maybe forgetting they are great enablers in having these forums available to all of us.

hcubell

Given the huge amount of valuable input and testing that DT and Capture Integration provide on this forum, I am not at all offended by this post. I have no interest personally in "canned" Styles, but I think we should cut these guys quite a bit of slack if they have something new to offer for sale that may be of interest to those involved in post processing with Capture One.

Steve Hendrix

Given the huge amount of valuable input and testing that DT and Capture Integration provide on this forum, I am not at all offended by this post. I have no interest personally in "canned" Styles, but I think we should cut these guys quite a bit of slack if they have something new to offer for sale that may be of interest to those involved in post processing with Capture One.

I don't agree with everything that is posted by Doug and I'm sure there have been times when he's felt the same about my posts. But unfortunately in this case, I feel I am forced to take Doug's side. To me, the fact he's charging for it doesn't matter. The fact he's a dealer doesn't matter. There have been other members who have posted information about products they have created that are available for a price, and to me the protocol seems to be that the product bears some level of uniqueness, in other words it couldn't be found just anywhere, or they themselves indeed created it (even better), and that it has some opportunity to offer some value to or enhance an existing product some on this forum may already own. I think of John Milich's nice work with some of the tech camera accessories, or Chiek's interesting homemade cameras.

I don't see a real difference here.

Canned styles aren't for everyone (I don't use them), but there are some who do like using them, and it is a common element in the Adobe plug-in architecture - what is the harm in offering more variety for the Capture One platform?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Personally I'm very happy to see commercial posts from our dealers here. I don't think that I've ever been forced, scammed or mislead by any of the marketing information and I've appreciated them being posted here so that I didn't miss them. Most have been informational (infomercial?) but I've always gained something educational from reading the blog entries, special offers or in this case commercial offers. It's targeted to the audience here and I think that amongst most of us here they are a valuable information and aspirational force (think XF articles, tech cam articles, CMOS MFDB etc etc).

Not only that, having met both Doug and Steve I can attest to the fact that they are thoroughly decent people here. :thumbs:

The other forum posters such as my buddy John Milich (jlm), Chiek, and also let's not forget Stefan Steib too.

Pemihan

I agree.

RandB

I've found Doug's Styles really useful as they come and, just as important, they suggest other directions to explore. They do not confine your creativity--- they give it a boost!