The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PEC-12 for sensor cleaning?

The PEC-PAC lint free cloths are OK, but I would not put any chemical that is not explicitly said to be OK on sensor on sensor...
Good point. Perhaps will stick to Isopropyl alcohol instead.

PEC-12 description states:

"PEC-12 is a waterless Photographic Emulsion Cleaner which is suitable for use on most film and print emulsions. It is a blend of organic hydrocarbon solvents with a neutral pH and is free from chlorofluorocarbons and chlorinated hydrocarbons. It dries instantly, leaves no residue and meets archival needs. Because it contains no water, PEC-12 will not cause emulsion swelling, tackiness, water marks or other damage associated with re-washing.

PEC-12 is designed to remove non-water based stains, grease, and inks from photographic emulsions and bases. It removes finger oils, grease pencil, adhesive tape residues, mildew, smoke and soot damage, gold foil stamp and most ball-point and permanent inks. It will aid in the removal of firmly affixed adhesive tape. Graphic arts applications include the easy removal of wax and rubylith."

Though it is claimed not to be suitable for certain emulsions.
Considering the back's sensor is actually protected by glass...well..

stephengilbert

I imagine there are lots of things that can be used, but the recommended cleaners being so inexpensive and easy to obtain, I don't want to experiment.

fotophil

Although I have never used PRC-12 on my DSLR sensors, it is my "go to" cleaner for the LCD cover plates. It is especially useful for removing residual adhesives associated with stick-on viewing hoods.

Stephen: Indeed. Just trying to see what I can do with things I have in my kit. Just to add: I explicitly distrust Japanese shops/products when it comes to anything more advanced than lens surface cleaning, and ordering from abroad is always a pain.

Phil: I generally use the isopropyl for that, but seems like PEC-12 might do better job. Nice tip, cheers!!