Site Sponsors

Thread: PEC-12 for sensor cleaning?

Post Thanks / Like

PEC-12 for sensor cleaning?

Just wondering if PEC-12 and lint-free pads that come with it would be a feasible solution for sensor cleaning?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PEC-12 for sensor cleaning?

Quote Originally Posted by Krosavcheg View Post
    Just wondering if PEC-12 and lint-free pads that come with it would be a feasible solution for sensor cleaning?
    The PEC-PAC lint free cloths are OK, but I would not put any chemical that is not explicitly said to be OK on sensor on sensor...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richardman View Post
    The PEC-PAC lint free cloths are OK, but I would not put any chemical that is not explicitly said to be OK on sensor on sensor...
    Good point. Perhaps will stick to Isopropyl alcohol instead.

PEC-12 description states:

"PEC-12 is a waterless Photographic Emulsion Cleaner which is suitable for use on most film and print emulsions. It is a blend of organic hydrocarbon solvents with a neutral pH and is free from chlorofluorocarbons and chlorinated hydrocarbons. It dries instantly, leaves no residue and meets archival needs. Because it contains no water, PEC-12 will not cause emulsion swelling, tackiness, water marks or other damage associated with re-washing.

PEC-12 is designed to remove non-water based stains, grease, and inks from photographic emulsions and bases. It removes finger oils, grease pencil, adhesive tape residues, mildew, smoke and soot damage, gold foil stamp and most ball-point and permanent inks. It will aid in the removal of firmly affixed adhesive tape. Graphic arts applications include the easy removal of wax and rubylith."

Though it is claimed not to be suitable for certain emulsions.
    Considering the back's sensor is actually protected by glass...well..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I imagine there are lots of things that can be used, but the recommended cleaners being so inexpensive and easy to obtain, I don't want to experiment.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Although I have never used PRC-12 on my DSLR sensors, it is my "go to" cleaner for the LCD cover plates. It is especially useful for removing residual adhesives associated with stick-on viewing hoods.

Post Thanks / Like

Stephen: Indeed. Just trying to see what I can do with things I have in my kit. Just to add: I explicitly distrust Japanese shops/products when it comes to anything more advanced than lens surface cleaning, and ordering from abroad is always a pain.

Phil: I generally use the isopropyl for that, but seems like PEC-12 might do better job. Nice tip, cheers!!