The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A switch: Phase One to Nikon.........

MrSmith

may i ask what kind of lenshood / compendium you are using with the actus / schneider lens combo ?

It's a Lee one that I bought 15 years ago for 5x4 it had fallen apart as the glue failed between mount and bellows but Lee sent me some new industrial strength double sided tape to fix it. Think it's the 105 system? I just got some adapter rings from eBay for the small digitars so I could use the old mounting rings from the bigger 5x4 lenses.

CSP

It's a Lee one that I bought 15 years ago for 5x4 it had fallen apart as the glue failed between mount and bellows but Lee sent me some new industrial strength double sided tape to fix it. Think it's the 105 system? I just got some adapter rings from eBay for the small digitars so I could use the old mounting rings from the bigger 5x4 lenses.
thanks ! don´t understand why cambo has not thought about a compendium to use with the actus.

Paratom

my clients see a funny little bellows camera with a bellows lens hood, they then see the crisp images shot with schneider digitar lenses appear on screen and seem happy enough to give me repeat business.
they didn’t question anything when a P45 was used or a 5DIII but like most people running a business spending 5k or 25k but not increasing revenue by a similar proportion means it just doesnt make sense to spend big.
that said a lot of people mention the word ‘hate’ when discussing recent MF/35mm type threads. this suggests they have some kind of emotional involvement with their personal purchasing decisions and like to post rationalise with peer led affirmation. so they see this questioning as some kind of personal attack.
apart from a few oddballs with an axe to grind does anyone really hate a camera system/company that much?:argue:

i do think that MFD has shot itself in the foot over the last few years but now seem to be coming back on track and i think thats down to Hblad getting back to what it does best and the outlier that is Pentax shaking things up a bit. but the big push has come from sony and their sensor.
i might come back to MF but there has to be a compelling reason to invest and at the moment it’s not quite there for me, though h/blad might change that.
IMO there is kind of an inflation of photography. In digital world more and more images come on the market. Also with search functions and internet and email there are more resources to get images of things happening in the world. Prices paid to photographers have gone down.
So I do know photographers which have moved to MF gear because they want to be able to offer that little bit better IQ which can set there images apart from the mass production.

CSP

IMO there is kind of an inflation of photography. In digital world more and more images come on the market. Also with search functions and internet and email there are more resources to get images of things happening in the world. Prices paid to photographers have gone down.
So I do know photographers which have moved to MF gear because they want to be able to offer that little bit better IQ which can set there images apart from the mass production.
....when you have zero to offer on the creative side of photography than sure a little resolution advantage counts big !

satybhat

....when you have zero to offer on the creative side of photography than sure a little resolution advantage counts big !
That's a bit like saying those who can't write and compose beautifully in 30 pages will write a 300 page book.
Or mediocre directors make 2 hour movies because they aren't creative enough to make a 15 min reel.
Just saying...

CSP

That's a bit like saying those who can't write and compose beautifully in 30 pages will write a 300 page book.
Or mediocre directors make 2 hour movies because they aren't creative enough to make a 15 min reel.
Just saying...
....does a sharper knife and better ingredients make a bad cook a top chef ? maybe, but i have never ever seen that mediocre, styleless images improve with resolution. it is far more work and much harder to accomplish to develop a personal style than to buy some gear and pretend that now the images have an magical look.

MrSmith

Are you suggesting MFD will make me a better photographer? I guess there are plenty of people who think like that but I don't.
Spending time with other creatives, watching films, travel, architecture, talking to my partner (an art director) about imagery, playing around with Instagram/iPhone and more importantly shooting outside of my comfort zone make me a better image maker.
This weekend I'm B-camera on a short promo for film with a tiny crew and a well known actor. No money involved but I would rather donate my time to this than a faux-workshop dealer weekend where you get to play with gear and chew the fat with a tech-head.

Mgreer316

The Profoto Air remote allows you to control the light packs (I use Profoto 8a, Profoto B4 and Profoto B-1) directly from the remote mounted on the camera’s hotshoe. You can easily control the lighting ratios from the camera even if your camera doesn’t have TTL.

I use a flash meter to set my lights. If any other adjustments need to be made I use the Air remote which has clearly indicated minus / plus buttons.
Hi Jeffery, thanks for chiming in. I'm very aware of the available options. I shoot 645DF with a V-Grip Air. It triggers my B1. I also have the Air Remote TT-L C (for Canon cameras) when I use the B1 with my 5D MKIII (or if I want to set power levels remotely when I'm shooting the 645DF). So yes, controling power levels remotely on the B1 is easily done via the remote. But that' wasn't my point. My point was that I don't need a light meter when shooting with my 5D MKIII as TTL gets me very close to where I want to be then I make an adjustment, lock it in, and away I go. I can't do that with the 645DF. So I use a meter or a guess, then adjust. But in multi light applications it's much faster for me when I start the TTL route. I know Marc doesn't think so, but this is my experience and it's definitely faster for me. But whether it is or it isn't, the point is the option doesn't exist for MFD. With the amount of money invested in MFD gear we should have more options, not less IMO.

The profoto B-1s are very portable and setup quickly. However they are handicapped due to having only 500 watts of power. This is definitely not enough to overpower the sun, especially when used with a very large modifier. For example if you use a 74 inch octabank, you would have to place the light inches from the subject to have the correct intensity of light for a suitable f-stop when shooting outside in bright sunny conditions. (of course when you are shooting with a leaf shutter lens you have a wider range of shutter speed / f-stop options). I tend to use my B-1 kit as edge lights fitted with a Profoto Magnum reflector.
All true depending on your requirements. The B1 does offer me enough power to over power the sun because in such applications I tend to shoot it bare. I'm not carrying big modifiers on location. I'm just too lazy for that. If I needed more power I'd take multiple Einsteins.

If in the end you decide to go the 35mm route, then I highly suggest you rent the Canon first before purchasing just to make sure you like how the skin tones look in the files.
From everything I've seen there's no significant difference in coloration between the 5DSr and the 5D MKIII. If so, I'm good.

jlm

Workshop Member
...I would rather donate my time to this than a faux-workshop dealer weekend where you get to play with gear and chew the fat with a tech-head.
A thinly veiled prejudice, uninformed and a misrepresentation of the carmel get together. This sort of comment should be seen for what it is

stephengilbert

The question "will X make me a better photographer" is a red herring.

Changing cameras might not make you a better photographer, but it might yield better photographs.

fotografz

Hi Jeffery, thanks for chiming in. I'm very aware of the available options. I shoot 645DF with a V-Grip Air. It triggers my B1. I also have the Air Remote TT-L C (for Canon cameras) when I use the B1 with my 5D MKIII (or if I want to set power levels remotely when I'm shooting the 645DF). So yes, controling power levels remotely on the B1 is easily done via the remote. But that' wasn't my point. My point was that I don't need a light meter when shooting with my 5D MKIII as TTL gets me very close to where I want to be then I make an adjustment, lock it in, and away I go. I can't do that with the 645DF. So I use a meter or a guess, then adjust. But in multi light applications it's much faster for me when I start the TTL route. I know Marc doesn't think so, but this is my experience and it's definitely faster for me. But whether it is or it isn't, the point is the option doesn't exist for MFD. With the amount of money invested in MFD gear we should have more options, not less IMO.
I'd definitely agree that with MFD we should have more options ... no question.

If Profoto added a Phase One, Hasselblad H and a Leica S TTL remote it would be excellent no doubt. I also doubt it would be a priority for Profoto since the amount of prospective buyers pales compared to Nikon, Canon and possibly Sony. I'd think they'll do a Sony one sooner if not later.

Personally, I haven't used a light meter for a long time. I basically do the same thing you do with TTL ... get it close on the first shot because I know the configuration, and then refine with the Profoto Remote channel assigned to each head. In far to many cases, I am going for creative use of lighting where TTL becomes a bit more complicated verses just setting a rim or edge light hotter for example.

But, whatever works for each of us.

- Marc

jerome_m

r93mdue

Very interesting perspective.
I used to be a Nikon guy for many years. D3 then D3X then D800 and then D810. I decided to take the jump in to MF and bought a Credo 60 MPDB and a 645DF+ with primes. I was just blown away by the MF look. I am really an amateur, but I do photography for my wife's art work. She needs good photos (high res original photos without any post production) to send in to art galleries before they showcase her work. I have a 5K IMAC and she would always select the MF photos. Every single time. My son is an actor and I do some head shots or outdoor location photos for him when we setup on vacation. He would always pick the MF photos. Every single time. My wife also simply loved the amazing realistic detail and the 3-D effect the MF images created as opposed to the crisp and at times too harsh transitions from the Nikon D810. All my photography is with available light and with prime lenses. My family just hate the effect of flash photography and refuse to pose for photos while my wife had her own lighting for the art work and insisted on the shadows that such light would cast on her art work. So no flash!! When the XF body became compatible with Credo 60 DB and I was able to upgrade to it, photography became so much easier. The focusing was dead on and much faster, so both, wife and son, loved it. The waist level viewfinder made it even better to take artwork photos of sculptures hanging from ceilings and such. The anti vibration function was great but I used tripod and mirror up most of the time for art anyway. After a while I realized that although I carried the D810 and its lenses with me, i never used it. It helped to have the same battery that went in the Credo also go in the XF body so I was never left wanting. Anyhow, to make a long story short, I finally sold the D810 and all its lenses and bought a couple of high res P1 lenses to complete my focal length needs. I am happy with this now as I do not have to carry two separate gear with me. For pros, I can see how a FF camera could be a good backup to a MF setup in case something went wrong with the MF. It is slightly lighter (just slightly,especially if you use Prime manual focus Zeis lenses or such) and may be good for video or such. If it were me I would just get another XF/DF+ body and a used MFDB as a backup as I could use the same lenses that I would on the first camera body. Will I ever go back to full frame sensors? Who knows? I have not felt the need for at least over a year and my luggage is much lighter when I travel. :)

ondebanks

No money involved but I would rather donate my time to this than a faux-workshop dealer weekend where you get to play with gear and chew the fat with a tech-head.
So I take it that you don't much like dealers.....Ah!!! I've finally figured out what your signature line means! -

Dealers do not email me asking to buy your products.

This statement always puzzled me. I wondered - why are you telling me what dealers don't currently do, as it would be outlandish to be expecting them to do it in the first place? I mean, why would dealers email you, asking to buy my products? I don't sell any products, I don't use you as some sort of sales middleman, and why would dealers - who are better known for selling than for buying - want to buy my products anyway? Why would the dealers not come directly to me, seeking these products, that I don't in fact sell?

Now I realise that this is what you mean:

Dealers, do not email me asking to buy your products.

One little comma. A bewildering statement becomes a clear instruction. It's the miracle of punctuation. :thumbup::OT:

Ray

MrSmith

In short:
I don't have 'a dealer' just 3 shops in london I have accounts with that I buy stuff from, all are very good and not pushy.

A dealer emailed me direct after seeing my posts on here wanting me to buy their product that I had no need/use for. I didn't appreciate their spam email.

My spelling/punctuation is poor. Luckily I make images for a living not write technical manuals.:thumbup:

CSP

In short:
I don't have 'a dealer' just 3 shops in london I have accounts with that I buy stuff from, all are very good and not pushy.

A dealer emailed me direct after seeing my posts on here wanting me to buy their product that I had no need/use for. I didn't appreciate their spam email.

My spelling/punctuation is poor. Luckily I make images for a living not write technical manuals.:thumbup:
from my european perspective the mf dealer as buddy seems to be a US specialty. but maybe this kind of close relation is needed in
a photography field where facts are ignored but fairytales of magic and wonders are exchanged in an strange mix of business interests
and pseudo religion.