The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A switch: Phase One to Nikon.........

jagsiva

from my european perspective the mf dealer as buddy seems to be a US specialty. but maybe this kind of close relation is needed in
a photography field where facts are ignored but fairytales of magic and wonders are exchanged in an strange mix of business interests
and pseudo religion.
You forgot the special robes and titles (based, of course on the MP of the back you have) for the fortnightly ceremonies.

from my european perspective the mf dealer as buddy seems to be a US specialty. but maybe this kind of close relation is needed in
a photography field where facts are ignored but fairytales of magic and wonders are exchanged in an strange mix of business interests
and pseudo religion.

from my texas perspective you sound a lot like Donald Drumpf.

Someone who makes bewildering statements just to get a bit of attention.

Well you got mine.

I absolutely love that line “Where facts are ignored but fairytales of magic and wonders are exchanged”. Sounds absolutely Daliesque.

I would like to think that people visit this great photography forum to improve their photography skills or share an inspirational tip to help other photographers tighten up their craft. It really doesn’t matter if you have a relationship with a mf dealer, sleep with an art director or have the keys to the Tate modern. What is important is that you are happy with the images you produce.

No one has anything to prove to you. If you woke up feeling a bit lonely and with the need to poke someone, I can hook you up with a New Orleans Voodoo doll dealer.

In meantime thanks for putting a smile on my face. Be well and take some great photos today.

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
Seems to me the very basic fact is that MF offers a considerably larger sensor than ff 35mm; don't ignore that fact.
What anyone chooses to make of that from either point of view is the subjective, non-factual part, and I see the compelling reason group as pseudo-religious ranters

jerome_m

from my texas perspective you sound a lot like Donald Drumpf.

Someone who makes bewildering statements just to get a bit of attention.
I won't say anything about MF and magic, but I can confirm the statement about European dealers. The situation is markedly different between the US and Europe on that point, at least in the European countries I have experienced. I think that this has to do with the historical differences in tax status between professionals and amateurs in Europe vs. the USA.

fotografz

and pseudo religion.
Interesting comment.

Perhaps some folks attend dealer outings for camaraderie as much as in-depth gear review ... in other words for fun. Nothing wrong with a bit of fun. Frankly, technical attributes could more easily be demonstrated in someone's back yard.

I have no idea how things are done in EU, and it is obvious that you do not know how it is here in the US.

I've had two strong, long term relationships with "resellers" of camera gear: A Hasselblad dealer for over 10 years, and a Leica dealer for over 20 years. These "professional friendships" have continued because their after purchase assistance and information has made my life easier.

The Hasselblad dealer spent countless hours helping me achieve certain infrastructure goals, helped train me and others with specialty gear (like a multi-shot back), and even assisted in testing my current gear against a new entry and advised when he thought it not a necessary upgrade. He even came to my studio and helped calibrate/shim view lenses using my DB on a tech camera. Most of all, when I had any issue, he dealt directly with Hasselblad to get it resolved in a fast and efficient manner.

My Leica dealer has helped me by understanding what I needed in my work and maneuvering the complex retail opportunities that are available from time-to-time which has saved me a ton of money. When any issue has come up, he smooths the path, even going directly to the President of Leica USA if it wasn't handled in a timely manner.

As to "fairytales" of magic and wonders as a religion ... I suppose the digital age and resulting scientific/technical obsessions has given rise to such speculations and critical notions. If a photographer can't make a determination of what pleases their eye, solves certain requirements, meets creative needs ... then no dealer, tech assistant or specific piece of gear is going to answer it for them.

MFD isn't a fairytale for me. I see what I visually need and prefer because it is my tastes to be satisfied, and I trust my own eyes more than anyone else's (if that is "magic", so be it), plus leaf-shutter lenses are a fact not a myth.

Personally, I go to a dealer for technical assistance, business/financial considerations, and to try new technical solutions to things I may want to accomplish. I do not go to them for creative advice or aesthetic notions. I have other sources for that sort of thing.

- Marc

Pradeep

That said, just because it worked for this pro or my friend above, doesn't mean it will work out that way for every pro. And then, for the hobbyist/artist where net IQ, resolution, color and tonality may be the holy grails, there is no contest.

What I find most interesting is what this brings up as as a discussion point: Historically (and I suspect presently) MFDB manufacturers have seen their prime customers as the working pros in commercial fashion, studio and advertising. Will this now morph toward the serious hobbyist/artist? I for one think probably so...
Jack, that is probably the most reasoned and balanced post in this thread and on this forum for a long time, thank you.

In this endless MF vs The Rest debate I've always seen a very polarized response. Mostly it is either a die-hard defense of one's gear or disdain for those 'foolish' enough to spend huge amounts on equipment that only delivers 'marginal' benefits.

I believe Jack does have a point. From my (albeit limited) observation, I too find that a lot of the new adopters of MF are serious amateurs for whom money is not all that much of an issue. Some are looking for that extra edge in their images and some perhaps for that hitherto forbidden and magical MF experience. In my case it was a bit of both.

On some of my landscape trips I found the amateurs toting MF cameras while the pros had given up on them and were now firmly into either DSLR or Mirrorless.

With sensor-resolution and lens quality of non-MF gear increasing steadily, it is not surprising that pros are switching.

For the amateur, if you are not into the aesthetics of MF, it becomes a very expensive hobby very soon.

JMT.