The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ultimate Landscape Kit using the IQ3

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Roger,

However, all that said were I buying an IQ3 today, I would buy the XF and at least 3 or 4 lenses along with the tech cam and 3 lenses. I realize this advice is probably not exactly what you wanted to hear :D
I think that's EXACTLY what Roger wants/needs to hear :chug:
(and I agree btw as that's exactly my approach too)

As mentioned by others, the XF and both the current and latest Schneider lenses seem to be superb on the XF body. I'm not sure if it's the girth/mass of the camera or perhaps the advantages of using the vibration/delay release with mirror up, but I'm definitely finding that most of my existing Phase One/Mamiya & LS lenses seem to be performing unexpectedly better. With respect to technical camera lenses vs the XF lenses it seems like the differences in performance have narrowed somewhat and I don't have any concerns about using that system at times when I would have thought twice with my DF/DF+.

bab

Don't know why you wouldn't consider a 100 mm lens and a VR Drive you can get all the pixel info you need automatically stiching a Horizontal and Vertical Pano then crop as desired. If you want single shot wide image you can also carry a full frame DSLR with 10-21mm lens of your choice. The whole kit can be very light weight. One MDB with 100mm, one DSLR with a wide lens, tripod (or two to shoot at the same time), filters, light meter, spare batteries, cable releases and as an alternative also carry one long lens for DSLR to compress images. I think this could all be in the thirty-thirty five pound range?
Regards

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Besides the functionality part of it which both systems have their pluses and minuses. Not talked about here but for me at least i tend to be more creative or losser thinking at least with a more moveable body like a DSLR type. For instance Im so tuned in 35mm for some many years shooting that format and that style that I simply do not miss anything. Its almost automatic in my head , i know exactly how to position myself, the camera and pick the correct lens and angles almost without fail. Face it Im pretty damn good at this , lets not fool anyone but I am certainly better at it with mobility on those levels than i am with something that tends to be more stationary, more rigid in use. Not that i do bad in any way, i pull stuff off all the time with a tech cam but my brain seems to work harder at the mobility, positioning and such. LLC are no freaking fun either. Not to say i don't love the tech cams as the results I think are better because of the slightly better optics. For Roger in this case, I tend to think as I know him he would most likely do better at the DSLR style, given his Leica M,R and S background.

This is a nice topic as its more about the person than the gear and what works for each individual. I do say if you never had a tech cam style camera it certainly is worth a try as some folks slowing down does have a huge benefit on there results. No question about that, its also about ones personality as well.

algrove

Many years ago I was a 4 by 5 shooter and used tilt extensively in landscapes to get DOF. But now I find the XF more than satisfactory. While I have lenses from 28 to 240 mm, my backpack for hiking just has the SK35, the SK55, the SK80 and the SK 120. When I need the equivalent of tilt, I'll use Helicon - if the subject permits multiple exposures.

I'm very pleased with the XF's new multiple focus mode, though I use the Hyperfocal mode more often, especially with the SK35 which seems to have more DOF than it should!
I read the on line XF manual and I must say some areas/subjects they make sound more complicated than I always thought implementing the task actually was. Then again perhaps I missed something too. The advances in this camera amaze. You should get one Roger so I can see it in person.

archivue

an other vote for Arca R camera... i have a Rm3d, and i wish i could ad an IQ3 100 to my arsenal !

With the arca system you can share the same bunch of lens from an Arca RM2d (lighter camera), to a RM3Di (movements... ), to an Arca M line Two (bellows camera)... and that's unique !

And the R bayonet is the more precise of the bunch... @100Mpix it's important !