The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cambo WRS 1200 Question

Transposure

Hey guys,
I do not have a technical camera, but I have been looking into building a kit for some time to leverage the use of my Leaf Credo 60 back. I probably do not want to buy new and would rather piece together a system if possible. My main goal with the system would be for architectural photography and as a result, I would be looking for only shifts, not tilts or swings. I do not plan to use it for landscapes. I have been attracted to the Cambo WRS1200 due to its compact size, but I am not familiar with the pros and cons of such a camera for the use that I intend. Hopefully, you guys can provide some insight.

1. It seems the DB plates can be quite easily interchanged. So, if it doesn't have a Mamiya mount, a few hundred gets me the mount I need. Is this correct?
  2. I assume I can shift the back up and down or left and right. Are these movements independent of each other or can they be combined?
  3. As for lenses, I assume Rodenstock lenses are preferred. With that said, what is involved regarding adapting lenses to the WRS1200?
  4. Probably dumb question, but that's how we educate ourselves, right? Can my Canon 17mm and 24mm TSE lenses be adapted to fit on the WRS1200? My thoughts are that could be an intermediate step until I can get a Rodenstock.
  5. How is the system focused? Remember, Live view is largely useless on the CCD backs.
  6. How is the system triggered? With Rrodenstocks, I assume the technical shutter release connects directly to the lens, but how is that synced with the back?

I'm hoping I can get answers to each of those questions. If anyone has any other suggestions, please share.
Thanks!
Ken

kdphotography

Ken,

Ed Cooley has a Cambo Anniversary Edition for sale---the Cambo AE is gorgeous. See, http://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-or-wtb/58006-cambo-tech-cam-glass.html

1. Yes---you need the correct mount for the Mamiya mount to Cambo plate. You can use both first and second gen. plates. The 2d generation plate was made for the IQ3 additional pins. Btw, I do have a first gen Mamiya-Cambo plate for sale. :D
2. Yup---you can shift left or right, and use rise or fall ----separately or combined. Cambo AE has larger knobs so easier to adjust shift and rise/fall, though I never found it to be an issue. But nice to have.
3. I'm partial to Rodenstock---but that's because I started with an IQ180 on the tech cam. With the Credo 60, the lens world is more welcoming for both Schneider and Rodenstock. You simply need to have the lens with the Cambo WRS mount. YOu can also opt for the t/s panel for each lens.
4. I don't think you can adapt the Canon lenses to the Cambo WRS.
5. Focusing is actually easier than you think. For more critical focusing on a Credo, you can try tethering with the Surface Pro on location (search the threads here or on my blog, https://kendoophotography.wordpress...s-and-leaf-credo-medium-format-digital-backs/) or use a larger computer and monitor in studio.
6. Easiest way to trigger is with the Kapture Group One Shot cable. Connects to lens and MFDB.

ken

Jamgolf

Hey guys,
My main goal with the system would be for architectural photography and as a result, I would be looking for only shifts, not tilts or swings. I do not plan to use it for landscapes. I have been attracted to the Cambo WRS1200 due to its compact size, but I am not familiar with the pros and cons of such a camera for the use that I intend. Hopefully, you guys can provide some insight.
Ken already answered your specific questions, but as a WRS 1200 & Credo 60 owner I can whole heartedly recommend it, after 1.25 years of ownership.
Your observation regarding its compactness is spot on and in that small package it provides shift+rise+fall+tilt+swing.

You are ruling out the need of tilt/swing for your application, and I am not an architectural photog myself, but I would think swing would could be pretty important for achieving sharp focus along a certain wall or windows or some such application. I would not rule out getting your choice focal lengths in T/S panel. But in the end you would know best.

These days when its becoming harder and harder to make a case for technical camera, I think architectural photography is one of the areas where the case is much easier to make.

I would also second Ken's advice regarding Surface Pro. It makes things far easier.

Cheers!

Transposure

Wow! Now that's what I am talking about! LOL
Thanks guys. All questions answered. Fantastic!

Would there be any reason to look at the Wide DS assuming size is not a problem?

Jamgolf

Would there be any reason to look at the Wide DS assuming size is not a problem?
A couple of reasons in favor of WRS...
  • According to Cambo's website: "Cambo's Wide DS series has now been discontinued for new deliveries."
  • I think there are comparatively far more WRS lens panels that you'll find for sale in Buy/Sell forums etc. than WDS.

Geoff

WRS is much easier to use than the DS, having both of its controls accessible from the rear. The DS is bigger, and not as easy.

M

mjr

Ken

I have the AE version, it is really nice to use, if you get lenses in the tilt/swing mount then the range of movements on the camera is excellent, rise and fall independent of each other and tilt swing on the lenses, for architecture it's great as well as for other things. I don't have an issue with focussing or framing, you may need an extra shot to assess with the 60mp backs, I do with mine on occasion but it's not an issue, getting the camera level and working from there is pretty easy. If you go for something wide like the 32mm then it's pretty difficult not to have everything in focus, the depth of field is so huge at f11 for example.

If you want an image of the camera set up with cables then just say and I can post one.

It's also worth looking at some other manufacturers or models, I absolutely loved the Alpa STC although it doesn't have the same range of movements, it's a beautifully made thing with lots of options, there are other Alpa cameras with full range of movements, also the bellows cameras like the the Actus DB are becoming popular too, lots of good options out there.

Mat

Pelorus

Not wanting to hijack the thread away from the Cambo, but following on from Mat's point. I have the Alpa STC and love it. I was initially planning on an Alpa Max with both rise/fall and shift. After a lengthy discussion and touch and feel with a very experienced user of both cameras I ended up with the STC and I couldn't be happier. I've never yet regretter the limitation of movement in only one axis. It seems to be exactly the right combo of movements vs compactness and its a tactile pleasure to use.

Ken

I have the AE version, it is really nice to use, if you get lenses in the tilt/swing mount then the range of movements on the camera is excellent, rise and fall independent of each other and tilt swing on the lenses, for architecture it's great as well as for other things. I don't have an issue with focussing or framing, you may need an extra shot to assess with the 60mp backs, I do with mine on occasion but it's not an issue, getting the camera level and working from there is pretty easy. If you go for something wide like the 32mm then it's pretty difficult not to have everything in focus, the depth of field is so huge at f11 for example.

If you want an image of the camera set up with cables then just say and I can post one.

It's also worth looking at some other manufacturers or models, I absolutely loved the Alpa STC although it doesn't have the same range of movements, it's a beautifully made thing with lots of options, there are other Alpa cameras with full range of movements, also the bellows cameras like the the Actus DB are becoming popular too, lots of good options out there.

Mat

Transposure

Mat,
Thanks for your insight. And yes, let's see the rig!
Best,
Ken

Ken

Mat
- - - Updated - - -

No worries. Options are a good thing. Do you have a picture of your setup?

Not wanting to hijack the thread away from the Cambo, but following on from Mat's point. I have the Alpa STC and love it. I was initially planning on an Alpa Max with both rise/fall and shift. After a lengthy discussion and touch and feel with a very experienced user of both cameras I ended up with the STC and I couldn't be happier. I've never yet regretter the limitation of movement in only one axis. It seems to be exactly the right combo of movements vs compactness and its a tactile pleasure to use.

jlm

Workshop Member
I used the 1200 happily for a couple of years with the iq160 and t/s lenses, sk and Rodie.
But when hassle lad came out with the cfv50-c CEOs back, I went over to the Cambodia actus. More traditional monorail view camera, has built in tilt and swing and shifts, no need for focusing helicoids on the lenses, but requires cmos for live view.
Something to consider

AreBee

jlm,

...I went over to the Cambodia actus. More traditional monorail view camera, has built in tilt and swing and shifts, no need for focusing helicoids on the lenses...
Can a lens previously used on a Cambo technical camera, i.e. with a helical, be used without alteration on the Actus? If so, is it simply a case of setting the (now redundant) helical to infinity and adjusting the Actus from then on?

jlm

Workshop Member
yes as answered for the cambo wrs based lenses on the actus; also alpa mount lenses, and with some good luck, possibly the arca mount lenses, all with suitable "lens boards"

Pelorus

[snip]
No worries. Options are a good thing. Do you have a picture of your setup?
Not a picture worth posting here.:)

The best picture of the rig is here at Alpa's site. I didn't feel I could copy one of their pics into a thread here.

Mine's that camera and lens. If it matters I have a different back, different handgrip and don't use the finder much.

It's a much smaller setup than it looks. It cradles very nicely in the hand.