The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad Teaser

tcdeveau

Hasselblad just posted a teaser on their instagram account (hasselblad_official) with the date "April 7th, 2016" and description "Stay Tuned". Today (April 1st) is a hard day to take anything posted on the internet seriously (with Aprils Fools Day, at least in the US) but maybe we'll see some new MF products from them sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Apparently there will be no more hideous looking, rebadged Sony cams with names like lunar, stellar, etc.

I hope they are serious atleast on 1st of April. :)

CSP

It's highly probable they present the next H6D platform, available Fall 2016...
when the aggressive phaseone price offerings ( like -40% on their new body and extrem generous trad in offers for the new backs ) are an indicator than yes maybe something remarkable is on the way.

BANKER1

Don,

Seems logical that a wide sensor could be made that would take the same amount of square millimeters as current full frame sensors and get the same amount of sensors from the chip size of the manufacturers raw chip. But it is also logical that a single camera maker would not order enough chips to make it worthwhile for the manufacturer. There lies the dilemma.

Greg

hcubell

Mirrorless MFD:eek:
That would cause a major disturbance in the Force (i.e., the energy field that binds the medium format universe and has been controlled by the Phase Empire).
I think something more prosaic is likely. A SWC with a digital back. Unfortunately, I doubt Hassy has had the capital to fund the R&D for an all new mirrorless body. I hope I am wrong. Something disruptive would be nice.

Uaiomex

Could it be a V system resurrection?
Since they seem to not have the funds to develop an entire MF different system, why not get the V off the induced comatose state? The bigger the sensor the more sense it makes to use CF glass. The revival could start with the 3 most popular lenses being revamped or revisited, either by Zeiss itself or by Fuji under license. imo
Eduardo

That would cause a major disturbance in the Force (i.e., the energy field that binds the medium format universe and has been controlled by the Phase Empire).
I think something more prosaic is likely. A SWC with a digital back. Unfortunately, I doubt Hassy has had the capital to fund the R&D for an all new mirrorless body. I hope I am wrong. Something disruptive would be nice.

Chipcarterdc

Something even simpler would be nice: a full frame 6x6 digital back, with a reasonable megapixel count.

I cannot understand, given the very large installed base of V system users, why this has never happened...

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
It would be sweet if they reintroduced the X-Pan
I would break open the piggy bank for that. :thumbs: However, Hasselblad have to be a company looking forwards and not backwards and so I doubt that we'd see either a panoramic, V system or 6x6 sensor system. It seems likely that it'll have to be their new H system with 100mp options.

Personally I'd love a digital 617 vs the X-Pan plus there's a place in heart for a true square sensor like the 6x6 but I'd take any of them! ;)

JorisV

Something even simpler would be nice: a full frame 6x6 digital back, with a reasonable megapixel count.

I cannot understand, given the very large installed base of V system users, why this has never happened...
It obviously would be nice if it could be used on the Hy6 as well!

BANKER1

Marc,

Mirrorless MFD was what I was told by a former Hasselblad area sales rep just prior to the introduction of the Lunar. He was just full of it, I guess and didn't last long after that. Upon the introduction of the Lunar, I bought a Leica M. A medium format mirrorless camera that used H lenses makes sense to me. However the large MF lenses kind of negate the purpose of a small sized mirrorless cam.

Greg

rmueller

Mirrorless PLUS 65mm cinema format for video to compete with the
ARRI Alexa 65 but on a much lower price, lenses are identical already, see http://www.hasselblad.com/de/our-world/news-de/hasselblad-arri-collaboration

Ok i know, April 1st is long over but i somehow question what is in for HB
in the MFD segment that justifies significant investments in R&D. MF video
would certainly be a game changer, not sure they have the knowledge though.

A H6D would be a "yeah me too" kind of a thing, maybe I'd upgrade, maybe not.

Lets see whats coming, at least i'm sure they learned their lesson with the Lunar.

Best Regards,
Ralf

fotografz

One thing that always baffled me was why the H camera didn't evolve to a dual shutter camera.

I cannot tell you how much fun it was to adapt my HC lenses to a new dual shutter Leica S and shoot with a focal plane shutter up to 1/4000. Especially the HC100/2.2 and HC150/2.5N.

If Hasselblad had made such a camera, I'd probably still be using one.

- Marc