The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ140 & IQ150 new pricing

DougDolde

I suppose those are good prices, but if I was only going to go with a 40 megapixel back, I'd pick a D810 which compares well to the IQ140 especially with Zeiss glass.

Similarly if I was looking at the IQ150 why not get a Pentax 645Z with the same sensor for less than half the money.

Sorry didn't mean to start this argument again but I am tired of spending tons of dough on Phase One. Not that it isn't great but its so expensive.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I don't understand the negativity.

If you want a 35mm DSLR then buy one. :facesmack: It's not the same thing as an IQ based MF system, period. I'm not going down the rat hole of what is 'better' etc.

If you want a 40mp or 50mp IQ MF digital back then you'll buy that so that you can use it on your current Phase One camera body/lenses (or get an XF) or alternatively on a technical camera.

If you want a closed system, as in body/sensor not necessarily lenses, MF DSLR then buy a 645Z.

The world is full of choices and who's to judge what is best for other people.

jlm

Workshop Member
Wow-wuh!
For a minute there you had me thinking of compelling reasons..but it is april 1:clap:

Dogs857

Hmmm

I've been away from this forum for a little while and I am honestly surprised at the amount of negativity here now. This used to be such a better environment. Now it seems that every other thread is turning into a "why bother the D810 / A7RII / Latest 35mm DSLR is so much better or easier to use" argument.

Last I saw this was the MF section. If you really don't like MF / want MF / can't afford MF / used to have MF but switched / are exceedingly happy with your 35mm camera / etc, then how about hanging out in the 35mm camera sections where you can extoll their virtues with other like minded individuals. Honestly unless we are talking about comparing image quality between the formats than this continual MF bashing is getting rather tiresome.

We all have different needs, we all have different wants and nobody's decision is better than anyone else. For me I am in my third attempt at getting into MF (for various personal / financial reasons) and would drag myself over broken glass to have an IQ back again. If you have been unhappy with your MF experience then how about dragging yourself in the other direction and stop bitching about it.

Rant over :angry:

P.S Even if this is an April Fool price I still can't afford it which is even sadder :cry:

Last edited:

stephengilbert

"Sorry didn't mean to start this argument again but I am tired of spending tons of dough on Phase One."

Didn't mean to start? Was this an accident? You know you can delete it.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hmmm

I've been away from this forum for a little while and I am honestly surprised at the amount of negativity here now. This used to be such a better environment. Now it seems that every other thread is turning into a "why bother the D810 / A7RII / Latest 35mm DSLR is so much better or easier to use" argument.

Last I saw this was the MF section. If you really don't like MF / want MF / can't afford MF / used to have MF but switched / are exceedingly happy with your 35mm camera / etc, then how about hanging out in the 35mm camera sections where you can extoll their virtues with other like minded individuals. Honestly unless we are talking about comparing image quality between the formats than this continual MF bashing is getting rather tiresome.

We all have different needs, we all have different wants and nobody's decision is better than anyone else. For me I am in my third attempt at getting into MF (for various personal / financial reasons) and would drag myself over broken glass to have an IQ back again. If you have been unhappy with your MF experience then how about dragging yourself in the other direction and stop bitching about it.

Rant over :angry:

P.S Even if this is an April Fool price I still can't afford it which is even sadder :cry:
Honestly if you ignore the ignorants they will just go away. Trolling is no fun when no one responds. They survive on responses. Something to consider

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Good point, thank you Guy I will moderate my responses in the future.
Yea I'm just not here enough to moderate as much, so as members we just need to ignore and move on. I know it's frustrating too. It amazes me how some can be so bias to brand and/or format. It's really a sign of being very insecure and justifying the money they spend. I love MF I just can't financially afford it anymore. Worse all the support that I had in MF have all disappeared too when I had to sell my stuff. That's even worse to me, just shows how some things change color. No e-mail, no contact,no are you even alive. Kind of hurts as the huge amount of effort I put into this format. But I will never belittle this format and the members that buy it.

Yea I'm just not here enough to moderate as much, so as members we just need to ignore and move on. I know it's frustrating too. It amazes me how some can be so bias to brand and/or format. It's really a sign of being very insecure and justifying the money they spend. I love MF I just can't financially afford it anymore. Worse all the support that I had in MF have all disappeared too when I had to sell my stuff. That's even worse to me, just shows how some things change color. No e-mail, no contact,no are you even alive. Kind of hurts as the huge amount of effort I put into this format. But I will never belittle this format and the members that buy it.
MF is amazing, except the depreciation speed. 35mm is just more financially practical (and with a much more efficient performance-price-ratio) for most photographers.

ErikKaffehr

Hi Graham,

I don't understand. The only posting you could have responded to is #2, quoted below:
I suppose those are good prices, but if I was only going to go with a 40 megapixel back, I'd pick a D810 which compares well to the IQ140 especially with Zeiss glass.

Similarly if I was looking at the IQ150 why not get a Pentax 645Z with the same sensor for less than half the money.

Sorry didn't mean to start this argument again but I am tired of spending tons of dough on Phase One. Not that it isn't great but its so expensive.
So Doug responds with his honest opinion based on experience in polite and articulated manner.

Is this a discussion, which means that we have respect for other poster's position? Or is this a forum for mutual admiration only?

Best regards
Erik

I don't understand the negativity.

If you want a 35mm DSLR then buy one. :facesmack: It's not the same thing as an IQ based MF system, period. I'm not going down the rat hole of what is 'better' etc.

If you want a 40mp or 50mp IQ MF digital back then you'll buy that so that you can use it on your current Phase One camera body/lenses (or get an XF) or alternatively on a technical camera.

If you want a closed system, as in body/sensor not necessarily lenses, MF DSLR then buy a 645Z.

The world is full of choices and who's to judge what is best for other people.

Last edited:

Dogs857

It's still a pretty damn good price.

If I had the money I would have an IQ140 heading my way tomorrow. To be honest I didn't know they still sold these new, I thought the poor IQ140 was swallowed up by the IQ150. Shows what I know.

It's still out of reach for me though. Plus I just bought a used 645D instead of a D810 (similar price point) so I will just have to make do :p

jerome_m

Yea I'm just not here enough to moderate as much, so as members we just need to ignore and move on. I know it's frustrating too. It amazes me how some can be so bias to brand and/or format.
It is not only MF. I follow the Sony forum from time to time and there have been the same kind of discussions over there. Obviously, it is not only getdpi, most of the other forums are worse. Even the user commentaries on articles that are available on other sites make me regularly wonder about their negativity. I know some sites which have disabled the commentaries after a few years because it became too hard to moderate them.

2WK

I spoke with a camera dealer and he was saying how it used to be fairly even between clients weather they would go with Phase or Hassy. Lately he has been selling nothing but Hasselblad because of their pricing. I'm sure phase is just responding to this.

tjv

The H-50c is currently $16500 USD, so it's still cheaper than eaven the Credo 150 and XF, which is $20KUSD, by the looks of things.
Either way, either are capable systems with their own strengths, weaknesses, etc. Just, for the love of God, try before you buy instead of making quick assumptions based on internet chatter / price / elitist motivations, etc.

So, basically, Phase One adjusted to Hasselblad new pricing for the H5D-40 and H5D-50c...

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I just think that overall it's a great time to be a photographer. The choices we have are superb and I will wager technically better than 99.9% of the people using them.

I'm off in the morning on a round the world business trip (literally) and I have no qualms at all about taking my Sony RX1RII or perhaps the A7RII kit, although if I had more time it would be my Phase One outfit. However, I have no concerns whatsoever that the images captured by the cameras will be usable and very pleasurable to shoot and print later. I'm pretty agnostic overall on gear (although I HATE being told about what 'better'/'cheaper' options I'm supposed to take by others) so I'll take whatever makes me happy and is practical to shoot.

Btw, also taking my Mamiya 7 ... or maybe the X-Pan II. :thumbs: