The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ140 & IQ150 new pricing

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Whatever works the best for your needs is all that counts anymore . All these cameras will produce great results. Sure some maybe better at certain things and have better overall image quality but everyone of them has a place and give you great results. Frankly if you ask me the war should be over and just a matter of what you prefer to work with. I loved MF and still do even though I'm currently not shooting it but I also love shooting my Sony stuff. Sure I can buy more gear given the pricing and such but that won't make me a better shooter either so it really does not matter. For many this is a hobby and something to enjoy you don't put a price tag on that. People buy boats that maybe on them once a season for several hundred grand, we may think there nuts but it's their life to enjoy.

etrump

In all fairness, the negativity is limited to a few who don't know or appreciate the benefits of MF and/or P1 role as the leader of a niche market. I think you'll find that if the pricing were similar to flat, lifeless 35mm they would all be raging about MF. ;)

Hmmm

I've been away from this forum for a little while and I am honestly surprised at the amount of negativity here now. This used to be such a better environment. Now it seems that every other thread is turning into a "why bother the D810 / A7RII / Latest 35mm DSLR is so much better or easier to use" argument.

Last I saw this was the MF section. If you really don't like MF / want MF / can't afford MF / used to have MF but switched / are exceedingly happy with your 35mm camera / etc, then how about hanging out in the 35mm camera sections where you can extoll their virtues with other like minded individuals. Honestly unless we are talking about comparing image quality between the formats than this continual MF bashing is getting rather tiresome.

We all have different needs, we all have different wants and nobody's decision is better than anyone else. For me I am in my third attempt at getting into MF (for various personal / financial reasons) and would drag myself over broken glass to have an IQ back again. If you have been unhappy with your MF experience then how about dragging yourself in the other direction and stop bitching about it.

Rant over :angry:

P.S Even if this is an April Fool price I still can't afford it which is even sadder :cry:

etrump

I have to disagree with you on the depreciation. After using an IQ180 for 5 years I was able to trade it in with no depreciation- actually gave back more in tarde-in value than I paid for it. I bought it as an upgrade for $14k US and it reduced the price of my new back by more than that amount.

Kudos to P1 for understanding the market and figuring out how to stay on the absolute leading edge of the art in software, sensor and now body lens technology and do it profitable enough to stay in business.

I wish my Canon, Nikon and Sony equipment could be so kind to my wallet. After 5 years, no 35mm body would be worth 1/4 the investment.

MF is amazing, except the depreciation speed. 35mm is just more financially practical (and with a much more efficient performance-price-ratio) for most photographers.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
People buy boats that maybe on them once a season for several hundred grand, we may think there nuts but it's their life to enjoy.
BOAT = break out another thousand ... Hmm, that sounds familiar! Maybe MF digital isn't that different after all. :ROTFL:

Paul2660

I agree with Ed, on the upgrade policy. For current owners, the upgrade path does allow for a price point that is more manageable. Overtime the upgrade allowance has gotten to be less, but it's still way above the Market value for used.

It was interesting to see the reference to the 14K price to go from the P65+ to the IQ180. Looking back, that was the step I missed, and should have taken. That was a great deal, and the last of the great deals as far as upgrades go from Phase One.

The flip side to the upgrades, is simple, it forces the "new" list price to be high. I am not familiar with Hasselblad's policy on upgrades and if they offer as much for used backs. But Phase does, so the list price is high also. This hurts the photographer who is looking to purchase for the first time. My first Phase Purchase was a P45+, when Phase offered:

The P45+, 80mm and 28mm non LS version (it was the Mamiya made lens at the time) for $27,500.00, all new with but the value add warranty was not included as it is now, so that was 4.5K extra. I ended up using the value add quite a bit on the P45+, long story, but it more than paid for itself. I am still selling large 75" x 140" prints that were taken with the P45+, (stitched) that hold up well to printing, and enjoying reworking a lot of my early work with the P45+ with the latest version of C1.

The other issue many photographers seem not to take into account, is that such a purchase should be depreciated on your books over at least 3 years if not 4. Thus the cost to you is not as great as you have used it on your books over 4 years and that can have benefits for taxes (LLC and a schedule C).

I also agree on the advances with Capture One in that the support for the older backs continues to improve. The images I have made recently from 2008/09/10 from my P45+ are vastly improved over the results from C1 6 and 8. That is a great advantage also. Not to mention that all of that is free since you can always use C1 in the DB version for only Phase files and tether also.

What also seems to be happening is that a lot of photographers who have purchased Nikon, Canon, or Sony etc. in 35mm DSLR are moving towards MF, but are a bit thrown off by the purchase model. Yes, it's different, you really need to work with a dealer, and in the US there are not too many, 3 maybe 4, and that is for the entire US. It's a much smaller world than the DSLR market and you really cannot equate the same things from 35mm to MF, especially support. There is not a US number to call for Phase One support, at least I have never found one. You must contact a dealer or open a trouble ticket online. The later will not really help too much with a hardware issue. I have bricked one back, with a firmware update P45+ and never want to be in that position again. Note the current status of the latest firmware from Phase One for the IQ backs, which Capture Integration has stated is not a good load currently. Usually you can get back to the base firmware, but it seems in this case a bricked back occur. Again, the dealer channel support is important.

Overtime this may change, but the current Pentax model has not done much. Support is still in Japan, (for fixes) and thus if you need to send off a camera, you may be waiting for a while. Pentax now offers a Premium support offering, but I have only found this offered when you purchase the 645Z in a kit with several lenses. This does offer at least a loaner camera (not sure if a Z body is guaranteed) while your camera is being repaired.

Time will change this, but for now, the Phase One purchase model is a fair alternative to get into the latest Phase tech, if you have an existing back, that is IQ1, 2, probably not as good now for the P+ generation.

Paul C

kdphotography

I just think that overall it's a great time to be a photographer. The choices we have are superb and I will wager technically better than 99.9% of the people using them.

I'm off in the morning on a round the world business trip (literally) and I have no qualms at all about taking my Sony RX1RII or perhaps the A7RII kit, although if I had more time it would be my Phase One outfit. However, I have no concerns whatsoever that the images captured by the cameras will be usable and very pleasurable to shoot and print later. I'm pretty agnostic overall on gear (although I HATE being told about what 'better'/'cheaper' options I'm supposed to take by others) so I'll take whatever makes me happy and is practical to shoot.

Btw, also taking my Mamiya 7 ... or maybe the X-Pan II. :thumbs:
off-topic I know, Graham, but you got me thinking what would happen if Range Rover made an SUV with wings.... :ROTFL:

GrahamWelland

off-topic I know, Graham, but you got me thinking what would happen if Range Rover made an SUV with wings.... :ROTFL:
:OT: Just to show you Ken that I do have some level of moderation, here's my final outfit for my trip. RX1r II with HVL-43M and RRS table tripod, DXO One and Schneider iProLens kit for the iPhone 6+. Travel tripod in the luggage.

The RRS won't fly but it will reach terminal velocity :cool:image.jpg

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I see your point. The points you have made are worthwhile. Obviously some members of the forum don't appreciate views and values that differ from their own.

Best regards
Erik

Judging by all the negative reaction to my post, this forum is 90% selfish rich white guys

GrahamWelland

Ditto with Stephen. Just tired of regurgitated discussion as to why we should be shooting something else ... :deadhorse:

M

mjr

Judging by all the negative reaction to my post, this forum is 90% selfish rich white guys
Haha! That is literally the funniest post I have read in a long time, surely there is some sort of award you can win for that?! Even better that Abstraction likes it and even though I don't see Erik's posts, I would stake money on him agreeing with you, priceless!

Mat (happy that because I'm not rich I fall in to the 10% along with the whinging, negative, selfish rich white guys and all other denominations, races, women, ethnic minorities, LGBT and any others I may have missed)