The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Split Prism Focus screen, 645DF

CVPEDU

Hi y'all, interested in a split prism screen for my 645DF - so I can precisely manual focus for extremely thin DOF...
Specifically so I might be able to effectively use something like the 80 f/1.9.

Now, I was told by Capture Integration, that its possible to lose AF capability with one of these... is that true?

In other words, is there a way of having a split prism screen, and still use AF?

thanks!

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I had a split prism on my DF and it didn't interfere with the AF as far as I could tell. I don't actually see how it could - AF is read from a mirror behind the main mirror and that light never passes through the viewfinder. But I could be wrong!

CVPEDU

I had a split prism on my DF and it didn't interfere with the AF as far as I could tell. I don't actually see how it could - AF is read from a mirror behind the main mirror and that light never passes through the viewfinder. But I could be wrong!
thanks so much, that was kinda my thought, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. now to find one!

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
AE will be thrown off a bit (but is already thrown off when using a fully manual lens). AF will not be affected.

It needs to be done correctly though to make sure the calibration between focus screen, AF sensor, and recorded image are all correct.

Might check with Bill Maxwell :).