Site Sponsors

Thread: Split Prism Focus screen, 645DF

Post Thanks / Like

Split Prism Focus screen, 645DF

Hi y'all, interested in a split prism screen for my 645DF - so I can precisely manual focus for extremely thin DOF...
    Specifically so I might be able to effectively use something like the 80 f/1.9.

Now, I was told by Capture Integration, that its possible to lose AF capability with one of these... is that true?

In other words, is there a way of having a split prism screen, and still use AF?

thanks!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Split Prism Focus screen, 645DF

I had a split prism on my DF and it didn't interfere with the AF as far as I could tell. I don't actually see how it could - AF is read from a mirror behind the main mirror and that light never passes through the viewfinder. But I could be wrong!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    I had a split prism on my DF and it didn't interfere with the AF as far as I could tell. I don't actually see how it could - AF is read from a mirror behind the main mirror and that light never passes through the viewfinder. But I could be wrong!
    thanks so much, that was kinda my thought, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. now to find one!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

AE will be thrown off a bit (but is already thrown off when using a fully manual lens). AF will not be affected.

It needs to be done correctly though to make sure the calibration between focus screen, AF sensor, and recorded image are all correct.

Might check with Bill Maxwell .
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183