Site Sponsors

Thread: Hasselblad H6D-100c and H6D-50c official

Post Thanks / Like

Hasselblad H6D-100c and H6D-50c official

As noted in the teaser thread it's officially out (I thought it deserved a headline topic on a forum like this):

http://www.hasselblad.com/h6d
    http://www.hasselblad.com/medium-format/h6d-100c €29K
    http://www.hasselblad.com/medium-format/h6d-50c €23K

The Hassy server is a bit slow responding at the time of writing though, so be patient.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hasselblad H6D-100c and H6D-50c official

Looks like a great update for H users: touchscreen, HDMI, dual cards, and USB3.

ken

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is great news for medium format in general. Competition is a good thing for consumers and spurs innovation as well as keeps prices in check.
    100MP backs from Phase and now Hasselblad are the new MF benchmarks and create a clear and marked separation from 135 format.

H6D entry price is decidedly high for a vast majority, still it is lower than Phase's pricing - so that might help some people make the jump.
    Hasselblad's upgrade offer is mainly targeting existing H customers. They seem resigned with the fact that current owners of high pixel Phase digital backs are deeply invested and winning them over is not probable. But owners of older Phase, Credo, Leaf backs might be still be lured by the cross-grade offer.
    IQ3 100 • Cambo 1600 • Rodenstock 23,32,50,90 • Zeiss 350SA
    UnTroubled Land

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jamgolf View Post
    I think this is great news for medium format in general. Competition is a good thing for consumers and spurs innovation as well as keeps prices in check.
    100MP backs from Phase and now Hasselblad are the new MF benchmarks and create a clear and marked separation from 135 format.

H6D entry price is decidedly high for a vast majority, still it is lower than Phase's pricing - so that might help some people make the jump.
    Hasselblad's upgrade offer is mainly targeting existing H customers. They seem resigned with the fact that current owners of high pixel Phase digital backs are deeply invested and winning them over is not probable. But owners of older Phase, Credo, Leaf backs might be still be lured by the cross-grade offer.
    What is the cross-grade offer?I can't see any reference to it! Thx.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    What is the cross-grade offer?I can't see any reference to it! Thx.
    The Hasselblad Team posted this.
    IQ3 100 • Cambo 1600 • Rodenstock 23,32,50,90 • Zeiss 350SA
    UnTroubled Land

Post Thanks / Like

Tim, look on the "Hasselblad Teaser" thread. Hasselblad has listed all the trade-in allowances.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I am starting to feel the itch...

Post Thanks / Like

the trade in offers are very generous, i am upgrading from h4d-50 t0 h6-50

Quote Originally Posted by Jamgolf View Post
    The Hasselblad Team posted this.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a note about fasted shutter speed is 1/2000 - is this leaf or camera body?

Good to see a decent new development!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Ohhh... reading the teaser thread in more detail it seems you can't use the 100mp back on a technical or field camera. That's a deal breaker for me - and I was seriously considering the cross grade. I've just asked my dealer to quote me on an upgrade from IQ180 to IQ3 100mp system instead. Pity. I like Hassy.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the H6D-50c shown on the Linhof Techno. Just for show of course, no battery attached.

I'd be surprised if they don't make a battery adapter for it though, like for the H5D. But as all things medium format things are a bit rushed at release so it takes a while before everything settles.

That you can't buy the back alone is no surprise though, but Hassy prices has been so attractive at times that buying the camera with body and never use the body can be worth it. Actually that's exactly what I do with my H4D-50. That needs powering through firewire when on a tech cam, which I've solved with a third party battery. I hope the solve it as elegant as the H5 series on the H6 though with a battery adapter.

As most know I'm not particularly pleased with the Sony CMOS when it comes to tech wides though especially the classic symmetrical ones, that's my deal breaker. Not sure Hasseblad Phocus makes as great job hiding the issues as Capture One does, maybe, maybe not.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Ohhh... reading the teaser thread in more detail it seems you can't use the 100mp back on a technical or field camera. That's a deal breaker for me - and I was seriously considering the cross grade. I've just asked my dealer to quote me on an upgrade from IQ180 to IQ3 100mp system instead. Pity. I like Hassy.
    From the Hasselblad spec sheet:

View camera compatability ? Yes, mechanical shutters controlled via flash sync. Electronic shutters can be controlled from Phocus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by f8orbust View Post
    From the Hasselblad spec sheet:

View camera compatability ? Yes, mechanical shutters controlled via flash sync. Electronic shutters can be controlled from Phocus.
    I think the problem is that it needs power through USB3, meaning that for field use you need to make your own self-made external battery hack like I've done for my H4D-50. The H5D has an external battery adapter but it seems H6D doesn't have that, at least not yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Really like the look of this. Trading in my old P45 will get me to 24.5k. I don't need the camera or lens, so would sell that for, say $5k, which gets me under $20k.

Not much mention is being made of Phocus, but from what I've seen and read so far it sounds like a total overhaul.

I'm sure the external battery will appear by shipping time - which is still a couple of months away (June IIRC).

Am also interested to see where Leaf will pitch their 100MP offering - I assume they were waiting for HB to show first.

Just read that HB have upped their warranty to 3 years as standard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by torger View Post
    I think the problem is that it needs power through USB3, meaning that for field use you need to make your own self-made external battery hack like I've done for my H4D-50. The H5D has an external battery adapter but it seems H6D doesn't have that, at least not yet.
    If the back can be powered via its usb interface, a simple USB battery and cable should solve the problem. They are generally available for peanuts, so...

I asked the question to the official representative in the other thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by torger View Post

As most know I'm not particularly pleased with the Sony CMOS when it comes to tech wides though especially the classic symmetrical ones, that's my deal breaker. Not sure Hasseblad Phocus makes as great job hiding the issues as Capture One does, maybe, maybe not.
    Oh ohh again - I use an SK 35 XL. I thought the CMOS sensors were better than the CCD sensors in this respect? It sounds like I thought wrong!

EDIT: I am daft - I sold the SK ages ago and purchased a Rodenstock 40HR, which is the lens I meant to refer to above....

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh ohh again - I use an SK 35 XL. I thought the CMOS sensors were better than the CCD sensors in this respect? It sounds like I thought wrong!
    Depends on what we are comparing. A 60mp CCD handles the 35XL better than either an 80mp CCD or 50/100mp CMOS.

You can download direct comparisons (on the P1 side) on our massive 100mp raw files sample page. You'd of course want to redo the relevant tests using the Hassy and their LCC correction method in Phocus, but the Phase tests give you a good idea what amount of movement might be realistic.

Generally speaking for wide angle tech camera use with a CMOS sensor, we'd suggest Rodenstock HR over Schneider XL.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like

Seriously? What an oversight, or so it seems to me. That concedes a segment of the market to Phase One. True enough, probably a small segment but at the low volume that these cameras sell, I would assume every sale matters.

Post Thanks / Like

This is finally an impressive answer from HB and bringing another serious competition to the long time Phase One monopoly in MFD!

There are lot of details, one of the biggest innovation aside from the 100MP back is the fact that all lenses (you have to buy new of course) have now 1/2000 leaf shutter!

KUDOS and really amazing to see this from Hasselblad after all these years.

If I would be in the market for another MFD solution this would be it - would buy within a heartbeat

Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    Depends on what we are comparing. A 60mp CCD handles the 35XL better than either an 80mp CCD or 50/100mp CMOS.

You can download direct comparisons (on the P1 side) on our massive 100mp raw files sample page. You'd of course want to redo the relevant tests using the Hassy and their LCC correction method in Phocus, but the Phase tests give you a good idea what amount of movement might be realistic.

Generally speaking for wide angle tech camera use with a CMOS sensor, we'd suggest Rodenstock HR over Schneider XL.

Thanks Doug - I have edited my post above to correct the information I gave about the lens I mostly use: it's a Rodie 40HR, not an SK 35 - I sold the latter for the former in order to get better results. Your opinion on the ROdie on a 100mp Sony sensor would be much appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    There are lot of details, one of the biggest innovation aside from the 100MP back is the fact that all lenses (you have to buy new of course) have now 1/2000 leaf shutter!
    You don't have to buy them new. You can have the old lenses upgraded.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I am very happy to hear that Hasselblad has a new and modern CMOS based back. I am not going to buy, unfortunately, as I don't have the funds available and to be honest also not the need. Perhaps there will be a V-series back? In that case I would be a bit interested.

It is nice to see "Blad" to be live and kicking…

Best regards
    Erik

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Doug ... Your opinion on the Rodie 40HR on a 100mp Sony sensor would be much appreciated!
    Sent you a PM as it's off topic and I don't want to take away from the thread.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by msadat View Post
    the trade in offers are very generous, i am upgrading from h4d-50 t0 h6-50
    This trade-in program is really interesting. The official list price of the H6D100 is $33,000. Hasselblad is offering to sell the H6D100 for $24,000 with a trade-in of a 9-year old Hasselblad H3D-39. The H3D-39 is probably worth no more than $2,000-$3,000 in the used market and Hasselblad will probably just junk them. So, Hasselblad obviously believes it is a profitable play for it to sell the H6D100 for $24,000. The question then is, how much negotiating room is there on the list price of $33,000 if you are not trading in a camera or back? Another question is how long will it be before Hasselblad slashes the price down to $25,000 or so?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another question is how long will it be before Hasselblad slashes the price down to $25,000 or so?
    It doesn't matter if you could buy it for 25k w/o trade-in your still saving more money with the trade-in. Right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bab View Post
    Another question is how long will it be before Hasselblad slashes the price down to $25,000 or so?
    It doesn't matter if you could buy it for 25k w/o trade-in your still saving more money with the trade-in. Right?
    I don't own an H3D-39. I have an IQ180 that is worth in the range of $15,000. Hasselblad is offering me LESS money in trade than on an H3D-39. Its obvious that anyone with a fairly late model Phase One back that they would be better off selling it and negotiating an all cash deal OR buying a junk H3D-39 to use in a trade.
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com

Post Thanks / Like

I'll try and find more detail but my understanding is that they refurbish Hasselblad trades and sell them into educational markets, that might explain the disparity between trades offered for Hasselblad versus other cameras.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerome_m View Post
    You don't have to buy them new. You can have the old lenses upgraded.

Where do you the upgrade for the lenses with the new shutter system

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by msadat View Post
    Where do you the upgrade for the lenses with the new shutter system
    They'll need to go to Hasselblad service.

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot find any info on the lens upgrade and cost would pls point me to it thx

Post Thanks / Like

Can the new leaf shutter lenses be used on H4d/h5d bodies and on Leica S with an adapter?

Post Thanks / Like

As I understand it you will only get 1/2000th with an H6D:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-04-10 at 7.30.43 am.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	232.8 KB 
ID:	117849
    www.nick-t.com
    http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-T View Post
    As I understand it you will only get 1/2000th with an H6D:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-04-10 at 7.30.43 am.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	232.8 KB 
ID:	117849
    That is undisputed. What this table says, however, is that you will get this speed on the H6D with either a new lens or an existing lens with a new shutter. Therefore, you can get a new shutter in an existing lens, i.e. having the old shutter unit in your lens exchanged.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes that is correct, bottom line there is little point in upgrading the shutter unless you have an H6D as that will only get you 1/1000th of a second up from 1/800th.

Post Thanks / Like

Nick, do you know of an official external battery solution to be released for technical camera use and if use of it and the flash sync cable will necessitate having the accessory input / output door cover open? Have emailed CRK but not heard back yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    Nick, do you know of an official external battery solution to be released for technical camera use and if use of it and the flash sync cable will necessitate having the accessory input / output door cover open? Have emailed CRK but not heard back yet.
    A/the Hasselblad representative[s] said in the Hasselblad Teaser thread that their engineers are working on a solution to power the H6D back for tech cam users when asked by a user/forum member that cited the current H4D/H5D battery plate and lack thereof for the H6D. The B&H site says H6D cameras are supposed to be available starting June, so Hasselblad has some time according to that time table to come up with and announce an external power solution for those that wish to use an H6D back on a tech cam before cameras are on the market. Aside from offering stand alone H6D-50c/100c backs, which the representative said Hasselblad will not do for now for "business decision" reasons, I do not think Hasselblad is ignoring tech cam users and an external power solution to power the H6D backs will be forthcoming from Hasselblad.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't doubt there will be a solution, but I'm anxious to see how elegant it will be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I will buy a H6D-100C, if the solution is similar to the one on my H5D50. I want something attached to the camera. The old image bank type solution, which required me to carry a cable and an additional piece of equipment was a PITA.
    Stanley