The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Hasselblad H6D Connectors and View Cameras

modator

The image below is the connector part of the H6D:

I find very strange to see that they move flash sync IN / OUT and the power supply from bottom of the back to that position, at the moment I didn't find any information around the use of the camera with View Camera's, it seems strangely placed and also if there is an option to connect a battery with a cable is far more ergonomic than the H5D battery adapter... why they do that is a mystery....

In the H web i see the H6D connected to a Linhof view camera, but how to power and operate it is not clear.
Maybe when the H6D manual is available this option become more documented.

There is anyone that know something more about ?

Regards, Domenico.

H3dtogo

Power can come from any standard hard drive 12V supply or any standard 12 camera battery with that standard connector..... best solution ever! no need for special fire wire or USB cables.
;););)

tjv

That's good news, but I want to see the back set up with the external power options before I get too excited. E.g. I hope Hasselblad have their own external power solution available when the camera ships, and that it's elegant and not a hodge-podge / ad-hoc soluition, with ugly cables and components hanging everywhere.

That aside, I'd personally rather go the H6 than the XF, and have emailed the local rep to see if I can mount and use my Credo back (if I have its mount changed to H) on the H6 body. I'm hoping that work will buy a full H kit this year and it'd be good to have the option to use a H body as a backup for when a personal job doesn't allow for me to use my Techno.

Power can come from any standard hard drive 12V supply or any standard 12 camera battery with that standard connector..... best solution ever! no need for special fire wire or USB cables.
;););)

modator

;););)
Well power supply that are made for 12v hard drives with output current of 1,5 - 2 Amp for sure are suitable to feed the H100 back, the problem is they have all the protection (if something went wrong in the regulator) to save the load ?
If an HD or a Flashlight or a Vacuum Burns it's no problem... Different if the power supply burns a $33.000 H6D-100c digital back.
Also a 12V battery can make problems because it's Voltage it's not stable.

For contrary the H5D solution was an adapter made by Hasselblad that use 7.2 V “SonyTM NP-F L-type" Battery with an electronic step up converter / regulator, and protection etc, I.E. this little adapter costs $1000 dollars (it's not cheap) but I figure that if something go wrong the H warranty covers the repair or the replacement of the back and the adapter...

By the way a solution with a step-up converter is more safe because if something go wrong is difficult that the voltage build up to value higher than the battery voltage, also it's more portable.

Maybe it's to early, but I think this solution is only provisional.

Best regards, Domenico.

torger

Hmm... so you're supposed to have that bay door open all the time when using it in the field with a tech camera? Is it possible to in a simple way detach the bay door (like I can detach the bay battery bay door on my canon to fit the battery grip)?

I think I would like to detach the bay door and tape the ports I'm not using.

(I'm not entirely happy with the design of the flash sync port on my H4D-50 either, it's behind a rubber port but since I always have the flash sync cable attached (when packing the camera the flash sync cable is detached from the lens, but not the back) that rubber port becomes a bit tired from always being in a pressed wide-open position.)

With my H4D-50 I use a $30 ebay battery, which was the only one I could find with a suitable size that I could attach directly to the back. I found it to be a real mess to have one more extra cable and unit to attach when setting up the camera, so I can't say that having to use an external third-party battery should be considered a "feature". However with my do-it-myself-trick so the third-party battery actually sits on the back no extra setup time is required so it's okay. I agree though that it doesn't feel great to risk the expensive back with batteries of unknown quality...

The bonus however, is that it looks really beautiful, pictured below ;)
I even left some extra spaghetti for the power cable with matching tape to complete the professional integrated look.

_MG_9441.jpg

modator

Hi Torger,
It's beautiful !
but I don't understand where the power supply goes in the H4D... I own it years ago, but the only solution was to connect with firewire to a pc... did You modify a firewire cable to feed power over it ? or in which way ?

I'm curious...

Best regards, Domenico

jlm

Workshop Member
way back when i had the H39 and a tech camera, i could power the back via the firewire port from a Quantum Turbo 3 storage battery. worked fine, but kludgy enough that i ended up going to the IQ160, H-mount

torger

Hi Torger,
It's beautiful !
but I don't understand where the power supply goes in the H4D... I own it years ago, but the only solution was to connect with firewire to a pc... did You modify a firewire cable to feed power over it ? or in which way ?

I'm curious...

Best regards, Domenico
Indeed the power in the H4 must go into the firewire port. I use a Leaf firewire to DC adapter plug, just cut it down a little with a kitchen knife it will fit also in the narrow Hasselblad port, and then just plug in the battery DC cable.

The quantum turbo batteries many used instead which are expensive but probably/maybe less risky to use than a el cheapo ebay battery (I'm not too worried though). I didn't choose the quantum, not for cost but for size. I needed a small enough battery to make it possible to pack it with the sliding back as one unit.

Nick-T

That aside, I'd personally rather go the H6 than the XF, and have emailed the local rep to see if I can mount and use my Credo back (if I have its mount changed to H) on the H6 body.
I am 99% certain you can as the H6D will accept film backs.

Steve Hendrix

Unless I'm mistaken, based on prior platforms, wouldnt mounting an existing H-mount back like a Credo require an H6Dx body regardless of film back compatibility?
Credo digital backs can mount to Hasselblad H1/H2/H4X/H5X. For the moment, there is no word on an H6X model, so we'll have to wait and see.

Steve Hendrix
CI