The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More to come From Hasselblad

med

I would also not be surprised if Fuji and Hasselblad team up to some degree. The timing of the rumours is certainly too good to be true given their past history of collaboration.

It would be madness if a mirrorless body from either Fuji or Hasselblad didn't have an H lens adaptor that drove autofocus and fired the leaf shutter; if Alpa can do it on the FPS, and Leica can do it on the S (and maybe the SL? I'm not sure if that combo works), then surely FujiBlad can do it!

In my dreamworld, such a camera would compete with the 645z price-wise. It would most likely have to have the Sony 50MP sensor to do that.

Jay Emm

>Can you give us any more information? Megapixels for x-pan? Why not so handsome?

Sadly no. That was all I was told.

>an idle thought but i wonder if the fuji and HB camera are the same and built on the same chassis with a few subtle differences (like phase/leaf)

That's interesting given Fuji and Haselblad have been friends for some time. According to Wikipedia;

1. In 1998, Hasselblad began selling the XPan, a camera designed and made in Japan by Fujifilm.

and

2, The H-System is largely designed and manufactured by Hasselblad, with Fuji's involvement being limited to finalizing Hasselblad's lens designs and producing the glass for the lenses and viewfinders

iiiNelson

I'd prefer a square format camera (even if it's cropped to say a 45x45 sized sensor) over a digital x-pan. That's not to say I couldn't or wouldn't enjoy it but I'd find more value in the square format cameras.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Such a camera would be able to take any lens. Hasselblad could make a new version of the flexbody.

But lenses still would be large, and Biogons would not play well, due to sensor and cover glass. Using a thinner cover glass is not a great option as existing lenses seem to be calculated for 2 mm.

Best regards
Erik

Yup, because with the ultra-short flange distances of mirrorless cameras, we could use/adapt our existing lenses from any MF SLR system; heck even 35mm lenses if you want to max out the image circle on a bigger sensor and don't mind some vignetting. While the Hartblei B2 and Alpa FPS systems cover this territory to some extent, they're expensive for what they are and a bit bulky. So watch brand loyalty go out the window once the first well-integrated mirrorless CSC from anyone comes to market :watch:

Ray

rmueller

Not sure what is coming from HB. Whatever it is, in my opinion they should
bring something just below a 10k USD/EUR price point as this seems a barrier
for many, especially amateur photographers. They should come back and cater
the ambitioned amateur. When i bought the 503CW+80mm lens in 2002 it was
a 4.5k EUR something package which, given inflation and digital means
something around 9-10k today. I'm not sure another photographic masterpiece
priced above 20k would help them much as the number of customers who can
afford this (or are willing to take the bite) is limited.
The H6 demonstrates that their R&D is still quite capable, also financially.

So as what this "more from HB" is we can only speculate for now, I'd wish for
something MF'ish in a smaller body (no reason to put a 50MP CMOS sensor
in a 645 full size body) at a price point around 9k. So now if that has a mirror
or an EVF i really don't care as long as it is as bright and nice as the one from
the H.

Just my 2 cents for the weekend.

Regards,
Ralf

BlinkingEye

athimbleofdan

I'll take a stab.

Fixed lens 50MP CMOS medium format "rangefinder" (ala Xpan) style camera with a 60mm 2.8 lens. Interchangeable lens body later. Collaboration with Fuji.

markymarkrb

I went and saw the new H6D camera today at a demo workshop here in DC. I asked the Rep some questions about the future of Hasselblad. He said that while he didn't know any specifics of new cameras, there were indeed new cameras coming this year from Hasselblad most likely at Photokina. I asked him specifically about the possibility of a digital X-Pan and he said that the company was well aware of the demand for this type of camera and they consider it a "silver bullet" for expanding into a new market. My gut feeling is that we will indeed see this camera coming this year. That is all.

markymarkrb

I forgot to mention that I also find it interesting that you have to register your new H6D-100C/50C by September 30th to get the 3 year warranty. With Photokina being Sep 20-25 2016, some new camera is coming for sure.

Christopher

A digital x-pan, hm, sounds good. But I frear if it comes it will only have a normal sensor and at best will crop to a panoramic format. Which in the end is useless as I can do that myself. I hope I'm wrong, I just can't see a digital panoramic sensor in the near future.

iiiNelson

The more I think about it the more I think a digital X-Pan makes a lot of sense for a lot of reasons as long as they keep (or something near) the true 24x65-ish resolution and not some sensor crop crap. If the price is relatively reasonable (let's say $3-4000 for the body and one lens) then I think it could be a hot seller and a way to get people to enter into the Hasselblad ecosystem while giving digital Leica M cameras a run for the money too. It doesn't have to provide extreme resolution, something like two modified Sony A7S sensors side by side to give something in the 24-32 megapixel range and outstanding low light capability would be amazing actually. The lenses could be made quite a bit smaller too and slower due to the extreme lowlight ability if this were the case.

I wouldn't mind having a normal 24x36 mode and a 24x24 mode as well as crop options either while we're dreaming. Just my thoughts on the subject though.

torger

Unfortunately the crop crap is most probable. Custom sensor sizes seems incredibly rare these days, and I think it's becoming rarer now with Sony having taken over from Dalsa. My understanding is that Hasseblad reluctantly gave up the 49x37mm size for their H system, but Sony couldn't make them that custom size (for a reasonable cost), so away it went. I find a digital X-pan with 24x56mm sensor extremely unlikely, but I hope I'm wrong of course...

tjv

Is it possible to tile / butt two aps-c or 35mm full frame Cmos sensors together? Would that get around needing a ground
up custom design?

iiiNelson

Unfortunately the crop crap is most probable. Custom sensor sizes seems incredibly rare these days, and I think it's becoming rarer now with Sony having taken over from Dalsa. My understanding is that Hasseblad reluctantly gave up the 49x37mm size for their H system, but Sony couldn't make them that custom size (for a reasonable cost), so away it went. I find a digital X-pan with 24x56mm sensor extremely unlikely, but I hope I'm wrong of course...
True. A way around this would be a technology partnership (with say Sony/Fuji) to increase the number of cameras potentially being made. Fewer resources would be needed to develop the camera if one used an existing sensor design as a base to modify I imagine. I'm sure I'm oversimplifying plenty of steps in this discussion but it's all just in theory and imagination at this point.

torger

Is it possible to tile / butt two aps-c or 35mm full frame Cmos sensors together? Would that get around needing a ground
up custom design?
Mitch Feinberg's digital 8x10" back consists of four butted xray sensors, but the gap could not be made smaller than 80 um. No problem for his application, but here the gap would need to be less than 5-10 um to allow decent interpolation, I don't know if any manufacturer can get sensors that close today.