The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ATTN Hasselblad Official : Phocus suggestions for Hasselblad software engineers

jmosier01

I'm a huge fan of Phocus's simplicity versus many other programs. The one thing I've always found limiting was the ability to us keyboard keys to bump adjustments in the adjustment panel. For instance in Lightroom you can use programs like Motibodo to use quick key adjustments. I get that many people shooting in a studio environment stick to a lighting setup and can nail everything shot to shot. I'm a portrait and headshot photographer and many times I'm moving my light or the subject is moving and exposure can shift the slightest bit. Also shooting in outdoor environments where the light is changing constantly. The frustration is that for any frame that needs adjustment you must use your mouse and or type in the number you'd like and then move on. Sure you can use the modify option for a selection of images, but again you can run into the issue of any number of shots needing more or less adjustments. It would be fantastic is you could assign keys on the keyboard to bump exposure, contrast, recovery ect...

The one other thing to better the new adjustment layer features would be the ability to adjust the size of the brush via the keyboard.

I truly believe those 2 things would bring Phocus to a level that would eliminate the need for a lot of the adjustment that one might do in PS.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
J

bdp

As a daily user of Phocus I hear your frustrations. I shoot mostly in daylight and I love how quick Lightroom's adjustments are, where you just float the mouse over a control and move it up or down with the arrow keys on the keyboard. It would be great if Phocus had something like this.

Regarding the new adjustment layers in Phocus and brush size, you can quickly resize the brush with the mouse scroll wheel, or on a trackpad with a two finger drag up or down.

Ben

Photon42

As a newcomer, I first was quite reluctant to use Phocus. But I have to say, it actually does a nice job on RAW processing, specifically, for my eyes, in the color department.

• The way settings are applied to multiple selected photos is the best I came across. If that could be added to Phocus, it would be very nice.
  • If I create and save settings, say for a given ISO, such as sharpening and noise reduction, the settings always store the default values for all other aspects. I would rather have settings only apply for selected aspects only. And linking a certain saved setting to a Camera/Back and ISO setting, would be also very nice.
  • The original RAW creation date should be preserved within the EXIF data of exported JPEGS, rather than the processing timestamp, when the export file is created. Very impractical. There is another thread to this.
  • Filter selections need to absolutely include the flag "already exported", and if possible also all Metadata fields

citizin

More keyboard shortcuts for sure +1 for individual functions. Even if they're an overly complex combination, just something I can assign to a macro key would be great.

I have a G700 mouse and every button is macro'd to a useful non single key or left side of the keyboard command in Lightroom.

jmosier01

I was able to pas this on to a contact at Hasselblad. They said they would pass it along straight away. Love how on top of things they've been recently.

Awesome stuff!

Ben! Thanks for the tip on the brush!

LDJ

I shoot predominantly lifestyle interiors and do not use a technical camera. I would really like to see perspective correction tools added to Phocus: not being able to show art directors/stylists/clients the frame being worked on with straight verticals (and the areas of the frame that will be cropped once perspective has been corrected) when tethering on a shoot has always prevented me from using Hasselblad backs and Phocus.

I would love to be able to use an H system solution, rather than Phase, for the fantastic colour solution with lovely neutral colours, lenses that in my opinion are superior mechanically and in terms of design (e.g. integral focus drive motor allowing manual focus without switching from autofocus), and a camera body that offers great ergonomics and True Focus. However, this is not something I can consider without the perspective correction tools.

I appreciate the fact that a number of users with connections have been willing to pass on suggestions to Hasselblad but does anyone know if Hasselblad offer a way to give feedback directly? I think it would be very useful.

A possible bug I have encountered (in Phocus 2 and 3) is that when endpoint adjustment is enabled for the histogram, adjusting the individual colour channels does not have the desired effect and only overall contrast is affected.

Hoping that Phocus continues to add new and useful features...

Best

Liam

jmosier01

So I've heard back from 2 employees at Hasselblad. One immediately and another after the initial email was forwarded. They're sending the suggestions to developers. Fingers crossed. I feel like there's been a huge shift this year, which is what everyone was hoping for.
Kudos to Hasselblad! Excited to see where we're headed.

J

So I've heard back from 2 employees at Hasselblad. One immediately and another after the initial email was forwarded. They're sending the suggestions to developers. Fingers crossed. I feel like there's been a huge shift this year, which is what everyone was hoping for.
Kudos to Hasselblad! Excited to see where we're headed.

J
Hi all,

Thank you all for your feedback. It is indeed valuable for us to hear your ideas for improvements.

Your input has been forwarded for the Phocus development team.

// The Hasselblad team

bab

Hi all,

Thank you all for your feedback. It is indeed valuable for us to hear your ideas for improvements.

Your input has been forwarded for the Phocus development team.

// The Hasselblad team
Please add Intergated focus stepping and make the highlight recovery slide work as well as LR or better.

LDJ

Great to hear that feedback has been taken on board; I still think it would be beneficial for users to have a way to give feedback directly to the developers.

I'm looking forward to seeing Hasselblad developments over the coming year...

L

stngoldberg

Please strengthen the scene calibration area for technical camera users!
There are quite a few of us!!!
Stanley