Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Mamiya A 200mm F/2.8 APO thoughts.

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Northern Nevada
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Mamiya A 200mm F/2.8 APO thoughts.

    Hi y'all - so I moved to medium format from a Nikon, where I had a 200 f/2.0 lens that I dearly loved.

    Does anyone have any thoughts on the Mamiya A 200mm F/2.8 APO? - wondering if it can deliver that smooth super thin DOF like the 200 f/2 did on Nikon?
    and is it sharp!?

    thanks so much!

  2. #2
    Senior Member segedi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    363
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mamiya A 200mm F/2.8 APO thoughts.

    Don't have experience with that particular lens, but do have medium format experience. A 200mm/2.8 should give you plenty of smoothness and even a more razor thin DOF - especially at closer working distances. I tend to think of f/2.8 as an f/1.4 equivalent on 6x7 and 6x6. And a 1.8 with 645. I'd say that lens should give you even more of what you are after than w/ the Nikon!

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Northern Nevada
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mamiya A 200mm F/2.8 APO thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by segedi View Post
    Don't have experience with that particular lens, but do have medium format experience. A 200mm/2.8 should give you plenty of smoothness and even a more razor thin DOF - especially at closer working distances. I tend to think of f/2.8 as an f/1.4 equivalent on 6x7 and 6x6. And a 1.8 with 645. I'd say that lens should give you even more of what you are after than w/ the Nikon!
    thanks! thats kinda what I was thinking...

    are there any other recommendations for extreme DOF? I was looking at the 80 1.9, however, I dunno if its worth it, since I have a 80MM Schneider Kreuznach 2.8 LS

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    96
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mamiya A 200mm F/2.8 APO thoughts.

    A 2.8/200 in medium format is more or less an equivalent to a 2.0/135 in 35mm. There is a Mamiya 2.8/300 that's a good match for your Nikon 2.0/200 in terms of angle of view, and depth of field..

    I have the Mamiya 200, and it's definitely sharp. The focus ring isn't as smooth as it could be, which can make it hard to nail your focus plane, especially near infinity where the slightest nudge will move your peak sharpness point by 50 feet.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Sparks, Nevada
    Posts
    59
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mamiya A 200mm F/2.8 APO thoughts.

    I really like the 200 APO. Mine works smooth and fast and seems pretty sharp.

    Greg

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    N.S. Canada
    Posts
    2,010
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mamiya A 200mm F/2.8 APO thoughts.

    Used it on 35mm with adapter. Marvellous glass. Very sharp, nice bokeh, great tonality & CA control. As other poster mentioned focus mechanics could be a bit smoother, but not big deal. Works really well with a quality 1.4x.

    Note the lens has two hoods, one smaller pull-out one that's permanently attached and a second larger one that screws onto the first. When buying ensure you get both if at all possible.

    The 80/1.9 is fantastic as are the 150/2.8 ULD and the 120/4 macro. I still have the 150 and 120 and would love to re-acquire the 80 and 200 one day.

  7. #7
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: Mamiya A 200mm F/2.8 APO thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by CVPEDU View Post
    thanks! thats kinda what I was thinking...

    are there any other recommendations for extreme DOF? I was looking at the 80 1.9, however, I dunno if its worth it, since I have a 80MM Schneider Kreuznach 2.8 LS
    https://digitaltransitions.com/fast-...ens-phase-one/

    My Contax 80/2 remounted for Phase One / Mamiya is still available for sale.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

  8. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Northern Nevada
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mamiya A 200mm F/2.8 APO thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    https://digitaltransitions.com/fast-...ens-phase-one/

    My Contax 80/2 remounted for Phase One / Mamiya is still available for sale.
    I'm interested!
    can email me?
    [email protected]

  9. #9
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Northern Nevada
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mamiya A 200mm F/2.8 APO thoughts.

    Also, anyone have any experience with the Type C (Microprism) focus screen? and if it would be helpful for manually focusing?

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...en_type_c.html

    I find, that the DOF even at f/4 with the 80LS is difficult to gt a headshot in focus, since the AF spot in the body is basically the size of the entire face, it doesnt often know which part of the face to grab... and often not the eyes.

    I feel like manual focus should be the option, but that's difficult too, outside.

    thanks!

  10. #10
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: Mamiya A 200mm F/2.8 APO thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by CVPEDU View Post
    I find, that the DOF even at f/4 with the 80LS is difficult to gt a headshot in focus, since the AF spot in the body is basically the size of the entire face, it doesnt often know which part of the face to grab... and often not the eyes.
    If Ken or Don were around they'd tell you the solution is simple... upgrade to an XF . The spot-AF setting on the XF is very very small.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

  11. #11
    Member weinlamm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    229
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Mamiya A 200mm F/2.8 APO thoughts.

    Still interested in comparison Nikon 200/2 to Mamiya 200/2.8?

    In the case of: which distance...? More near or infinitely?
    __________________
    Christian
    P.S.: If your wife knows everything... it's mostly not good for your gear.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,198
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mamiya A 200mm F/2.8 APO thoughts.

    Hi -

    If you're after something close to the Nikon 200/2.0 on 35mm, you might also want to consider the Mamiya 300/2.8.

    Kind regards,


    Gerald.

    /edit - oops, I see Bernard suggested that last week

  13. #13
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Northern Nevada
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Mamiya A 200mm F/2.8 APO thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by weinlamm View Post
    Still interested in comparison Nikon 200/2 to Mamiya 200/2.8?

    In the case of: which distance...? More near or infinitely?
    I was more curious like DOF for a portrait, maybe half length or headshot...
    I am considering my options, I just want amazing bokeh

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •