The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

XF Focus Screen Install

Smoothjazz

I just received my new XF focus screen, and need to install it. Is there any instructions anywhere I can look at before I try this? Usually I just (stubbornly) do things by trial and error without instructions, but in this case I do not want to make any mistakes that could cause any damage.
Thanks for you help.
John

kdphotography

It's actually pretty easy---just don't rush it.

Use a tripod to hold the camera steady. I wore cotton print gloves just in case I bumbled and need to use my fingers to catch the screen.

Use the tweezers on the tab of the screen to remove and install.

Release the focus screen tab---focus screen tray drops. Remove and replace with new screen. Pop tray back into place. Done!

Paul2660

After trying this a few times on the DF and DF+, make sure you securely re-latch the focus screen tab. This was a bit hard to determine at least for me on the DF+, and during use the tab released--dropping the focus screen down on the mirror. The holder won't hit the mirror, but the focus screen will possibly, but the real issue is you have to pull of your lens to get at it again.

Trick I learned, release then close the tab a few times to get the feel of a good catch.

I also agree that the new style will give you a more precise idea of where the "single" point is aimed at.

Paul C

Smoothjazz

It helped me to do a search for 'changing the Mamiya focus screen', where I found you tube videos of the process.

Paul2660

The new screen has a double set of focus centering marks, Marks inside of the outer ones, which allow you to aim the single focus point a bit better. And I do like the new screen over the older one, that was installed on the DF or DF+.

Paul C

Attachments

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Btw, I highly recommend changing the mirror up on power off mode to off when doing this. It didn't happen to me but if it is on there is a risk of the body powering off followed by mirror up when you might still be working on the VF screen. By turning the feature off you can turn off power to XF while you work on the focus screen safe in the knowledge that nothing bad can potentially happen.

as per Paul's note, be vigilant about ensuring the latch is locked. My first XF body arrived from the dealer brand new with a focus mask added for my iq150 but unfortunately they hadn't fully locked the mask tab. It seemed that when the body was powered off and put in the box, the mirror up fired, mask was unsecured and a very nasty surprise awaited me when I opened up the box of my new camera. Of course the dealer replaced it with a new body but that was an expensive tech shipping mistake.