The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

contax 645

dseelig

Well reading you guys and looking at film prints I decided to get a medium format again. I do miss the look of Black and white film and seeing medium format back prices go down someday I will get one. but for now I will be able to shoot black and white film again on a contax 645. I did try a mamiya and well I hated the feel of the camera. also contax used prices have come down and the good mamiya phase camera is up high in pricing. I got a contax 645 with lens for under a grand and am very happy. David

carstenw

Congratulations! Nice camera, eh? Look for a copy of the 35/3.5, which is really nice, and of course the 120/4 Macro, one of the very best MF macro lenses of all time. You should be able to find each in great shape for about $1400 with a little patience. I also added a Hasselblad 110/2 for portrait duty, and a Hartblei 45 T/S. Now I just need a DB :) Meanwhile, I am rediscovering and developing my own B&W film. Fun!

gogopix

Subscriber
That's great. I am sure you will enjoy the Contax 645. There are now some reasonable prices on lenses, butwatch closely for accessories, as they can vary widely in price.

Two things strike me on this site;

1. The number of people who have switched to the Contax and are delighted.

2. The number of complaints about lenses and bodies of the OTHER 645AF system

best regards, and good shooting
Victor

PSon

Congratulation! The Contax 645 system is one of the finest systems I have used with film and digital.

A

andershald

Hi dseelig, congratulations!

It's a great system, probably the finest system (no longer) on the market. I went throught the testing of different digital backs and systems about 6 months ago and the first thing that became clear, before deciding on a digital back (Phase One), was the platform...I just fell in love with the Contax. And the love is growing, every job I shoot, I love the camera a little bit more.

Best regards,
Anders

BradleyGibson

Congratulations, dseelig!

I can't say much as mine hasn't arrived yet either, but I've test driven a few Contax bodies in the months leading up to my switch. Great feel, and some nice glass.

Victor, re: satisfaction, I've noticed exactly these same things myself. I'm hoping I'll be able to count myself in category #1 (I'm tired of being in category #2...) :)

Enjoy, dseelig!

Best regards,
-Brad