Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 34 of 34

Thread: Hasselblad SWC series in combination with digital backs

  1. #1
    Senior Member KeithL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Hasselblad SWC series in combination with digital backs

    Hello all

    With Hasselblad's advice in mind that the performance of the 38mm Biogon can be compromised when used with digital backs, I'd be very interested to hear of user's 'real world' experiences with the SWC series and digital backs.

    TIA

    Keith

  2. #2
    Senior Member yaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    38

    Re: Hasselblad SWC series in combination with digital backs

    Hmmm....



    Leaf Aptus 65 on SWC, no compromise whatsoever

    It's a lovely little camera with a great lens IMO

    Yair
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad SWC series in combination with digital backs

    Very nice!

    Glad you are getting results you like. :-)

  4. #4
    Senior Member KeithL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad SWC series in combination with digital backs

    Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    Hmmm....

    Leaf Aptus 65 on SWC, no compromise whatsoever

    It's a lovely little camera with a great lens IMO

    Yair
    Yair

    Nice image, and great to hear that there's no compromise!

    Keith

  5. #5
    Subscriber Member jotloob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KEMPTEN / GERMANY
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    116

    Re: Hasselblad SWC series in combination with digital backs

    Keith

    The LEAF APTUS 65 (now LEAF APTUS -II 6) sensor is 33x44mm , pixelsize is 7,2 micron and has 28MP resulting in a file of 160 MB in 16-bit-modus .
    The CFV has 16MP and the sensor is 37x37mm .
    The CF39-II sensor size is 36,7x49,0mm .

    Now , if you are afraid , that the CF39-II sensor size would be too big to be used properly with the HASSELBLAD SWC , you will then not be able to use an other HASSELBLAD BACK , except the CFV . The H3DII-31 back is not available just as a digital back .

    Is there anyone out there , who has used a HASSELBLAD SWC with a CF39-II ? ? ?

    Please also have a look to the connectivity diagram of the attached PDF , page 4 .
    The SWC + SWC/M + 903/905SWC can be used with the CF-39 back. All you need is the HASSELBLAD ELD adapter .

    Attachment 12936

    Regards Jürgen

    P.S. The PDF is also available in an english version . Currently the HASSELBLAD server is too busy . I could not log in .

  6. #6
    Subscriber Member jotloob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KEMPTEN / GERMANY
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    116

    Re: Hasselblad SWC series in combination with digital backs

    Sorry , attaching this PDF does not work properly .
    What am I doing wrong ? ? ?

    Keith , you can have a look at the hasselblad.com under CF backs .

  7. #7
    Subscriber Member jotloob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KEMPTEN / GERMANY
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    116

    Re: Hasselblad SWC series in combination with digital backs

    Moderator , can you please erase the post #6 .

    Clicking twice on the title page does initiate a download of the PDF.

  8. #8
    Senior Member yaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    38

    Re: Hasselblad SWC series in combination with digital backs

    Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    Is there anyone out there , who has used a HASSELBLAD SWC with a CF39-II ? ? ?
    I've used it with 22MP and 33MP Leaf backs, both with sensor sizes of 48mm X 36mm with no issues.
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

  9. #9
    Senior Member PSon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    908
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    145

    Re: Hasselblad SWC series in combination with digital backs

    One of the best lens I've used in the wide angle focal length.

  10. #10
    Senior Member KeithL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad SWC series in combination with digital backs

    Jurgen, thanks, I've downloaded the PDFs.

    Yair, good to hear you report that the 36x48 backs show no problems.

    Pham Minh Son, do you use the 38mm Biogon in combination with digital backs?

    To all; I'm looking to use a 903/905SWC (already have the RMFx finder and latest focus screen adapter) with film for the moment (I know, exemplary quality and without problem) and possibly later this year with a 39MP back. I don't tend to shoot wide open.

    Thanks all.

    Keith

  11. #11
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Hasselblad SWC series in combination with digital backs

    Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    Sorry , attaching this PDF does not work properly .
    What am I doing wrong ? ? ?

    Keith , you can have a look at the hasselblad.com under CF backs .
    Right click on a Mac and hit download linked file
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  12. #12
    Senior Member PSon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    908
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    145

    Re: Hasselblad SWC series in combination with digital backs

    keith, I used the lens in digital and film. I used both the Rollei 40 SA and the 38 Biogon with the same digital back and I prefer the Biogon more due to the shadow details.

    Son

  13. #13
    Senior Member KeithL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad SWC series in combination with digital backs

    Son, many thanks, appreciated.

    A question to all. Could I switch quickly and easily between film and digital capture when using a Phase One P45 V fit digital back on 500 and SWC cameras? The reason I ask is because as I understand it this would be impossible when using the Hasselblad CF digital backs as these rely on adapters having to be screwed onto the camera backs and having to be removed before attaching a film back.

    TIA

    Keith

  14. #14
    Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,803
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad SWC series in combination with digital backs

    Keith,

    I am unsure how fixed the CF adapter is secured to the body. However, you want to use caution with the P45 back as there is no "double lock" system and I have seen a few P backs dropped off of bodies by users.

    My first P20 back for H1 had a small dent on the side where it dropped some 4 feet to the floor by the previous owner. I personally had no problem with it and would get another in a heartbeat if I needed one. I think they are fairly bombproof and unless you dislodge the sensor or crack the screen you would have a hard time messing one up.

    Bob

  15. #15
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad SWC series in combination with digital backs

    The battery on the Hasselblad CFv backs hangs below the bottom of the profile of the standard back area and will therefore foul the tripod coupling without the necessary adaptor;this produces a clumsy shape when you take the digi.
    back off to replace it with a film back.i.e. quick storage is an issue.
    This is not a problem with Phase One backs;the battery fits within a slightly heavier digital back profile;connection between the back and any 500 series or
    SWC variant is through an easy to remove wake up cable connecting to the flash sync. nipple on the lens.
    I know this info because I have a loaner P20 back on my 903SWC sitting on my desk at the moment courtesy of a UK Phase one agent.I am planning to replace this with an ex demo P25 shortly,so I am pleased to hear of positive
    feedback on the lens quality with other brands of digital backs.
    All the best....

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,338
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    52

    Re: Hasselblad SWC series in combination with digital backs

    Quote Originally Posted by tourmie green View Post
    The battery on the Hasselblad CFv backs hangs below the bottom of the profile of the standard back area and will therefore foul the tripod coupling without the necessary adaptor;this produces a clumsy shape when you take the digi.
    back off to replace it with a film back.i.e. quick storage is an issue.
    This is not a problem with Phase One backs;the battery fits within a slightly heavier digital back profile;connection between the back and any 500 series or
    SWC variant is through an easy to remove wake up cable connecting to the flash sync. nipple on the lens.
    I know this info because I have a loaner P20 back on my 903SWC sitting on my desk at the moment courtesy of a UK Phase one agent.I am planning to replace this with an ex demo P25 shortly,so I am pleased to hear of positive
    feedback on the lens quality with other brands of digital backs.
    All the best....
    I use a CFV11 all the time on a 200 series camera. The CFV11 does have a battery hanging off the bottom - just like all Leaf backs btw. However the adaptor which comes with the back works very well if you have a tripod mounting issue.

    In practise switching from digi back to film back is no more or less involved or dangerous than with any other system I own and use and that includes Sinar/H series/ and Phase.

    Digi dust mangement is a fact of life - much easer to control in MF than in SLR btw. In practise the requirement to wake up a Phase back is a right royal pain in the backside and didnt use the Phase back on my Alpa for same reason. All other things considered though - Phase makes a nice backs - just liek everyone else.

  17. #17
    Member halfFrame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad SWC series in combination with digital backs

    Dusk example of Hasselblad SWC shot March 1, 2009 at about f8 or 11.
    Shot with Phase One p25.
    There is a Security Lock on the horizontal placement of the back. There is not a Security Lock on the vertical placement.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad SWC series in combination with digital backs

    Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    Son, many thanks, appreciated.

    A question to all. Could I switch quickly and easily between film and digital capture when using a Phase One P45 V fit digital back on 500 and SWC cameras? The reason I ask is because as I understand it this would be impossible when using the Hasselblad CF digital backs as these rely on adapters having to be screwed onto the camera backs and having to be removed before attaching a film back.

    TIA

    Keith
    Hi Keith,

    The adapter is fixed to the CF back not to the SWC. So switching is o different between Hass and Phase, nor Leaf for that matter.

    The L type batteries are also available in a number of profiles and the smallest is pretty compact.

    As stated elsewhere there is also an adapter to prevent any fouling of the tripod.

    David

  19. #19
    Senior Member KeithL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad SWC series in combination with digital backs

    David, so switching between film and digital would be a simple matter of removing the film back and replacing it with the DB (complete with adapter) and then connecting the flash sync cable?

    Thanks to all.

  20. #20
    Subscriber Member jotloob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KEMPTEN / GERMANY
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    116

    Re: Hasselblad SWC series in combination with digital backs

    Quote Originally Posted by David Grover / Hasselblad View Post
    Hi Keith,

    The adapter is fixed to the CF back not to the SWC. So switching is o different between Hass and Phase, nor Leaf for that matter.

    The L type batteries are also available in a number of profiles and the smallest is pretty compact.

    As stated elsewhere there is also an adapter to prevent any fouling of the tripod.

    David
    David

    I have been rereading the paragraph "working with multiple cameras" in the HASSELBLAD CF DIGITAL BACKS PDF and find it not very clearly expressed , that the adapter is screwed on to the back and not to the camera .
    But thank you for that hint anyway .

    Jürgen

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad SWC series in combination with digital backs

    Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    David, so switching between film and digital would be a simple matter of removing the film back and replacing it with the DB (complete with adapter) and then connecting the flash sync cable?

    Thanks to all.
    Yes!

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad SWC series in combination with digital backs

    Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    David

    I have been rereading the paragraph "working with multiple cameras" in the HASSELBLAD CF DIGITAL BACKS PDF and find it not very clearly expressed , that the adapter is screwed on to the back and not to the camera .
    But thank you for that hint anyway .

    Jürgen
    Ok. Thanks for the input!

  23. #23
    Subscriber Member jotloob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KEMPTEN / GERMANY
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    116

    Re: Hasselblad SWC series in combination with digital backs

    David

    Also , looking at the connectivity diagram , I find it not very clear , that the adapter is screwed on to the DIGITAL BACK .
    Some additional words in the diagram , would improve the understanding .

    Jürgen

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad SWC series in combination with digital backs

    Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    David

    Also , looking at the connectivity diagram , I find it not very clear , that the adapter is screwed on to the DIGITAL BACK .
    Some additional words in the diagram , would improve the understanding .

    Jürgen
    I think the connectivity diagrams are being changed soon, so I believe it should be more straight forward.

    David

  25. #25
    Subscriber Member jotloob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KEMPTEN / GERMANY
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    116

    Re: Hasselblad SWC series in combination with digital backs

    David

    Comparing the connectivity diagrams between the CFV BACK and the CF39-II BACK and also reading the issue shown in this thread , you must admit , that this calls for a second generation CFV BACK (not just a face lift). A CFV BACK with a bigger sensor , but with the same possibility of easy connection to all V-SYSTEM cameras and other brands which can hold a V-SYSTEM adapter .

    You can be shure , that there will be many guys out here in this forum as well as in other forums , which would just jump on this "new" back . Not talking about those , who do not participate in any forum .

    Regards Jürgen

  26. #26
    Senior Member KeithL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad SWC series in combination with digital backs

    Quote Originally Posted by David Grover / Hasselblad View Post
    Yes!
    David, thanks again.

    Keith

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad SWC series in combination with digital backs

    Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    David

    Comparing the connectivity diagrams between the CFV BACK and the CF39-II BACK and also reading the issue shown in this thread , you must admit , that this calls for a second generation CFV BACK (not just a face lift). A CFV BACK with a bigger sensor , but with the same possibility of easy connection to all V-SYSTEM cameras and other brands which can hold a V-SYSTEM adapter .

    You can be shure , that there will be many guys out here in this forum as well as in other forums , which would just jump on this "new" back . Not talking about those , who do not participate in any forum .

    Regards Jürgen
    Its an interesting idea for sure and has been discussed many times. However it is difficult to gauge just how many people would be interested in a product that might economically not work out.

    But, as I have heard this a few times of late I will take it back to Denmark.

    Best,


    David

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,338
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    52

    Re: Hasselblad SWC series in combination with digital backs

    Quote Originally Posted by David Grover / Hasselblad View Post
    .... However it is difficult to gauge just how many people would be interested in a product that might economically not work out.

    But, as I have heard this a few times of late I will take it back to Denmark.

    Best,


    David

    I recently acquired a new CFV11 from Colin down here and I would buy a larger square chip to use on a 200 / 500 system body.



    Pete

  29. #29
    Senior Member KeithL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad SWC series in combination with digital backs

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    ...and I would buy a larger square chip to use on a 200 / 500 system body.
    Pete, join the queue!

  30. #30
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Hasselblad SWC series in combination with digital backs

    Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    Son, many thanks, appreciated.

    A question to all. Could I switch quickly and easily between film and digital capture when using a Phase One P45 V fit digital back on 500 and SWC cameras? The reason I ask is because as I understand it this would be impossible when using the Hasselblad CF digital backs as these rely on adapters having to be screwed onto the camera backs and having to be removed before attaching a film back.

    TIA

    Keith
    Ahhh, NOT correct. The Hasselblad iAdapter fits on the CF and CF-II back NOT the camera ... basically the iAdapter is needed to complete the back. So you can swap back and forth between film and digital at will. One iAdapter allows you to use the 500 camera and the the SWC.

  31. #31
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Hasselblad SWC series in combination with digital backs

    Quote Originally Posted by tourmie green View Post
    The battery on the Hasselblad CFv backs hangs below the bottom of the profile of the standard back area and will therefore foul the tripod coupling without the necessary adaptor;this produces a clumsy shape when you take the digi.
    back off to replace it with a film back.i.e. quick storage is an issue.
    This is not a problem with Phase One backs;the battery fits within a slightly heavier digital back profile;connection between the back and any 500 series or
    SWC variant is through an easy to remove wake up cable connecting to the flash sync. nipple on the lens.
    I know this info because I have a loaner P20 back on my 903SWC sitting on my desk at the moment courtesy of a UK Phase one agent.I am planning to replace this with an ex demo P25 shortly,so I am pleased to hear of positive
    feedback on the lens quality with other brands of digital backs.
    All the best....
    Also not quite correct. The L adapter for the SWC clips on and off easily ... same as removing the battery alone. The CF backs do not need any wake up connections.

  32. #32
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Hasselblad SWC series in combination with digital backs

    Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    David

    Comparing the connectivity diagrams between the CFV BACK and the CF39-II BACK and also reading the issue shown in this thread , you must admit , that this calls for a second generation CFV BACK (not just a face lift). A CFV BACK with a bigger sensor , but with the same possibility of easy connection to all V-SYSTEM cameras and other brands which can hold a V-SYSTEM adapter .

    You can be shure , that there will be many guys out here in this forum as well as in other forums , which would just jump on this "new" back . Not talking about those , who do not participate in any forum .

    Regards Jürgen
    Totally agree. I'd be there in a NY Heartbeat even in this crap economy!

  33. #33
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    4,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1253

    Re: Hasselblad SWC series in combination with digital backs

    me too; same size 9 micron sensors but a bigger and still square image area. l

  34. #34
    Senior Member KeithL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad SWC series in combination with digital backs

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Ahhh, NOT correct. The Hasselblad iAdapter fits on the CF and CF-II back NOT the camera ... basically the iAdapter is needed to complete the back. So you can swap back and forth between film and digital at will. One iAdapter allows you to use the 500 camera and the the SWC.
    Thanks Marc, David also corrected this info earlier today. Good news.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •