The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lowest distortion medium format lens?

NoBob

I'm thinking about getting a Pentax-67 43mm f/4, but does anyone know of any other medium format lenses at a similar focal length (40-50mm) by Contax, Mamiya or other manufacturer that show less distortion than the Pentax-67 43mm (and which are also sharp)?

I'll be using the lens on an a7rii with an adapter.

Thanks.

torger

Schneider-Kreuznach Apo-Digitar 43 XL, almost distortion-free. Same with the 47XL, buth the 43 is a bit sharper. Mounting on the A7r-II is typically done with a view camera like Cambo Actus though... not sure there are other mount options. It's the lowest distortion lenses you can find though.

NoBob

Thanks. Am not planning to get the Actus any time soon. I bought the Mirex adapter, so would like to find a sharp, low distortion 40-50mm lens that I can use with the a7rii.

epforever

The Hasselblad / Zeiss 50mm lenses are very good in this regard (the ones made for the V system). If the A7Rii has a focal-plane shutter as an option, I believe the 50mm 2.8 F / FE has the least distortion. If you need a leaf shutter, the 50mm CF / CFi is also excellent. I have them both, and both are very sharp as well.

Stuart Richardson

The Hasselblad / Zeiss 50mm lenses are very good in this regard (the ones made for the V system). If the A7Rii has a focal-plane shutter as an option, I believe the 50mm 2.8 F / FE has the least distortion. If you need a leaf shutter, the 50mm CF / CFi is also excellent. I have them both, and both are very sharp as well.
As far as I remember, the 50mm f2.8 is not particularly distortion free....the MTF backs me up at around 2% distortion. https://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/P...enter/hasselblad_f/distagon_t_2-8_50mm_en.pdf
The lowest distortion MF lenses are lenses like the 38mm biogon and 43mm Mamiya, but they are not going to help you, nor would the Leica S 35mm or 45mm, both of which are very good in this regard. The view camera lenses are the ones you are looking for...
Is there a reason you are looking for these as opposed to a 35mm lens? There are plenty of fairly sharp, low distortion 35mm lenses that would fit on the A7Rii...

NoBob

I have the Sigma 35mm and 50mm Art lenses.

Am looking for a low distortion 40-50mm medium format lens that will allow for move movements.

Thanks.

tsjanik

The Pentax 43mm is 35mm lens, so no shifts. The 3rd version of the 67 55mm is very highly regarded and may be what you need.

NoBob

Using the Mirex, the Pentax-67 43mm should have a fair bit of movement, but I read it's got a little moustache distortion. I can correct it with Photoshop's Adaptive Wide Angle filter, but I'd prefer not to have to...

55mm is a bit short. I have the Pentax 645 55mm. Am looking for something a bit wider.

Stuart Richardson

My advice is probably not what you want to hear, but I would suggest you sell the adapter you bought and just buy a Canon TS lens. Most of the old medium format SLR lenses were not really the greatest when it came to distortion. I think you will have an easier time of things and better results with a dedicated modern TS lens designed for 35mm digital cameras.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12132-USA/Canon_2536A004_TS_E_45mm_f_2_8_Normal.html
It is easy to find fully functional EOS to FE mount adapters, and you get a sharp modern lens with no angle of incidence problems, full aperture and metering control and built in movements.

NoBob

Yes, I'd prefer to do that, but the Canon TS 45mm is awful.

And it's not clear if the Nikon PC-E 45mm can be used on the a7rii using the Commlite adapter at the moment.

Annna T

Yes, I'd prefer to do that, but the Canon TS 45mm is awful.

And it's not clear if the Nikon PC-E 45mm can be used on the a7rii using the Commlite adapter at the moment.
Why do you find that the 45mm TSE is awful ? I just got one and I'm not too unhappy. What is bothering you ? Sharpness ? Distorsion ? flare ? Chromatic aberration ?

I do also own the 24mm TSE but only the first version and that one, yes, is only so so, but I find the 45mm better.

Here is one sample picture posted in the "fun with A7 series" thread :

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/50257-fun-sony-a7-series-cameras-all-them-post692130.html#post692130

Other ones can be found in my Flickr stream.

Last edited:

NoBob

Hi Anna,

You got lucky.

It was a while ago, but I remember the excessive CA and difficulty getting a sharp image across the frame were the main problems.

MrSmith

The 45 tse isn't great, especially compared to the 24mkII. And if you go the next step up to digitars/rodagons then it's not in the same ballpark.
I sold mine as I wasn't happy handing over files shot with it to clients.

Annna T

Hi Anna,

You got lucky.

It was a while ago, but I remember the excessive CA and difficulty getting a sharp image across the frame were the main problems.
Yes, I have noted the CA but with LR it isn't too difficult to take away. And I find my images reasonnably sharp, although I don't get as much microcontrast as with the native FE glass. And when my pictures aren't sharp enough I tend to think it's my fault because I didn't nail focus..

chrismuc

My recommendation for 50mm focal length: HB CF 50f4 FLE + Mirex TS adapter. The lens is sharp corner-to-corner over (the shifted) frame, not very expensive, the Mirex allows 16mm shift in all directions, plus tilt. The lens has (only) 1.3% distortion.