Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: correcting fish eye of Mamiya 24mm lens

  1. #1
    Senior Member faneuil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    570
    Post Thanks / Like

    correcting fish eye of Mamiya 24mm lens

    Hey all- just got back my modified fisheye Mamiya 24mm lens from SKGrimes (they do amazing work..) - they mod'ed the mount to work with my Phase XF.

    The lens is a winner. Sharp. Built like a tank.
    I was hoping to do some interior work with this lens, but can't seem to find the right software/ workflow to correct the fish eye.
    I tried fisheye-hemi but really not such great results.

    cheers,
    Eric
    Eric Korenman
    www.korenman.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    302
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: correcting fish eye of Mamiya 24mm lens

    Quote Originally Posted by faneuil View Post
    Hey all- just got back my modified fisheye Mamiya 24mm lens from SKGrimes (they do amazing work..) - they mod'ed the mount to work with my Phase XF.

    The lens is a winner. Sharp. Built like a tank.
    I was hoping to do some interior work with this lens, but can't seem to find the right software/ workflow to correct the fish eye.
    I tried fisheye-hemi but really not such great results.

    cheers,
    Eric
    I will be following this post as well, Eric. I posted something like your question years ago and the best advice I received was to use hugin or PanoTools but there was not any links, much of that software is discontinued and hard to find, and no easy UI to do the corrections. It was very frustrating to say the least. I hope you get some better responses than I did, I like that lens as well!

    e
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #3
    Senior Member faneuil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: correcting fish eye of Mamiya 24mm lens

    Eric Korenman
    www.korenman.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  4. #4
    Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    5,802
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    564

    Re: correcting fish eye of Mamiya 24mm lens

    The original lens conversion thread mentioned params for using Hugin, which is an open source project panorama tool. Here's the post:
    http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-f...tml#post687680

    A quick google of hugin and panorama tools will get you to the software and versions for Mac and Windows etc. I'd ping Ondebanks or MilesF here at getdpi.com as they would appear to have real world experience with defishing the 24mm
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

    As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    302
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: correcting fish eye of Mamiya 24mm lens

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    The original lens conversion thread mentioned params for using Hugin, which is an open source project panorama tool. Here's the post:
    http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-f...tml#post687680

    A quick google of hugin and panorama tools will get you to the software and versions for Mac and Windows etc. I'd ping Ondebanks or MilesF here at getdpi.com as they would appear to have real world experience with defishing the 24mm
    Thanks, Graham, but for instance I just googled hugin and panorama tools, and it wasn't easy for me, I was able to download (after numerous pages of ads, wiki's, and blog posts...a 3 year old version of the software. I have not yet been successful at downloading PT; however I bet I could with a little more effort and time bird dogging it. Then there is the act of getting them to work together and maybe dare I ask for a user's manual?
    In any case, I will try again but something tells me this software is not supported and difficult to use. But I admit I never have dug deep enough to figure it out. Plenty of photographers have recommended it to me over the years, and I respect you and them very much. I should dig deeper and forget any dreams of a supported profitable software company with someone to hold my hand thru the install and usage process.
    I'm just lazy when it comes to these things.

    e

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: correcting fish eye of Mamiya 24mm lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Egor View Post
    Thanks, Graham, but for instance I just googled hugin and panorama tools, and it wasn't easy for me, I was able to download (after numerous pages of ads, wiki's, and blog posts...a 3 year old version of the software. I have not yet been successful at downloading PT; however I bet I could with a little more effort and time bird dogging it. Then there is the act of getting them to work together and maybe dare I ask for a user's manual?
    In any case, I will try again but something tells me this software is not supported and difficult to use. But I admit I never have dug deep enough to figure it out. Plenty of photographers have recommended it to me over the years, and I respect you and them very much. I should dig deeper and forget any dreams of a supported profitable software company with someone to hold my hand thru the install and usage process.
    I'm just lazy when it comes to these things.

    e
    Hugin is still alive, developing slowly.
    http://hugin.sourceforge.net/
    http://hugin.sourceforge.net/tutorials/index.shtml
    Discussion: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/hugin-ptx
    Some years ago I made correction for Sigma 8mm. If I remember it was not too hard. You need a photo with straight lines vertically and horizontally, a brick wall will do well.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,538
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: correcting fish eye of Mamiya 24mm lens

    I would guess that DxO viewpoint is the best in the commercial world, you could try that.

    Hugin is the best in free & open source, and it's alive. I've used Hugin a fair bit for stitching a few years back and it's very capable software, but far from easy to learn due to its GUI (far from unique in the open source world in that regard, contributors like to make algorithms, not GUIs). It can do what you want, but it will likely be quite hard to figure out how to do it, unless you find some documentation/tutorial for it. If you just search the web you'll find tutorials, but some are out of date.

    There's also youtube videos to find, this could suit you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRTVikjF4M0

  8. #8
    Senior Member faneuil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: correcting fish eye of Mamiya 24mm lens

    Thanks all! I'm giving DxO Viewpoint 2 a 30 day demo trial -- and so far I am very inmpressed. Nice interface. Nice results
    Here is a quick first try with Mamiya 24mm fisheye on porch. Friends having lunch..

    original out of camera
    1 - defish
    2 - correct persepctive
    3 - tweak H/V ratio

    Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CF100462.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	530.5 KB 
ID:	118914   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	defish 1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	390.6 KB 
ID:	118911   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	defish 2.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	295.5 KB 
ID:	118912   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	defish 3.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	445.0 KB 
ID:	118913  
    Eric Korenman
    www.korenman.com

  9. #9
    Senior Member faneuil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: correcting fish eye of Mamiya 24mm lens

    a bit more tweaking.. digging DxO..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Eric Korenman
    www.korenman.com

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,538
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: correcting fish eye of Mamiya 24mm lens

    Is it possible to see in DxO what angle of view the final cropped image has? I mean so you could compare to which focal length of a rectalinear lens you would need to get the same result?

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    128
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    24

    Re: correcting fish eye of Mamiya 24mm lens

    Graham mentioned that I might be able to help re Hugin but I am afraid it defeated me.

    I have tended to use the 24mm as a fisheye and haven't tried that hard to defish it. I'm lucky to have the Phase 28mm and the Rodenstock 23mm on an RM3Di though both have their own limitations.

    In certain circumstances the 24mm gives a result that I find acceptable. If you look at images of Blackrock Cottage, Glencoe (below) the 24mm gives a much wider view and more foreground than a 28mm. There is a road right behind where this photo was taken so stepping further back wasn't an option. I liked the overall result even if the walls of the cottage are a bit off and the horizon is not entirely straight

    Miles Flint
    http://www.milesflint.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •