The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One Battery and Charger Question

awertz

After purchasing the Watson dual charger last week for the same reasons noted above (done having that frankenstein plug basically take over a pocket in my to go bag) I've been more than happy with it, however poking around on Amazon tonight looking to compare the charging specs when charging 1 vs 2 batteries I came across a Calumet branded "Prospec" model that is almost certainly identical to the Watson.... and it's only $15! A far cry from the $80 "deal" the Watson is going for at B&H. As of now there are only 9 left in stock. Have a look for yourself:

https://www.amazon.com/Prospec-Imaging-Twin-Channel-Battery-Charger/dp/B00RDEEKIE

cheers,

Andrew

(new to the forum)

Mgreer316

Two things. I think you still need to get the plates. And second, I wonder of this is left over inventory from Calumet's going out of business?

kdphotography

Nice find. That Prospec charger on Amazon looks exactly like the Watson charger. (Looks can be deceiving?). And you can find the Prospec plates on Amazon too. Look for Prospec charger plates for Canon BP batteries. About $5. Great deal if the total package works.

You can also find the Watson charger plates at B&H for about $2. Search Watson dual charger plates for Canon BP 9 series batteries....

Ken

Paul2660

I will let you guys know if the prospec works.

Thanks for tip. With plates for BP911 23.00 before shipping.

Paul C

Egor

When I click on that link, Andrew, I get a warning that "this site may contain malware". I doubt its anything but since I already got one I didn't proceed further. Odd though that it looks like its Amazon but has that warning.
Anyway, just thought I'd mention it.

e

malware-warning.jpg

Paul2660

Strange deal, as I had a similar issue the other day trying to order on the B&H site, never have seen that type of issue.

My Amazon order went through OK however.

Paul C

kdphotography

Eric---anything linked and clicked from GetDPI (at least on my computer) gives a malware notice too. If you cut and paste the link into your browser, it will show up correctly. Somehow, it also seems that the included links on GetDPI get truncated so that you end up at a homepage (e.g., B&H) as opposed to the actual item linked. It is easy enough to search and find anyway once the search terms or company names are disclosed as they are here.

Smoking deal Paul if it is indeed the same charger!

ken

Egor

Eric---anything linked and clicked from GetDPI (at least on my computer) gives a malware notice too. If you cut and paste the link into your browser, it will show up correctly. Somehow, it also seems that the included links on GetDPI get truncated so that you end up at a homepage (e.g., B&H) as opposed to the actual item linked. It is easy enough to search and find anyway once the search terms or company names are disclosed as they are here.

Smoking deal Paul if it is indeed the same charger!

ken
Thanks for the 'splanation, Ken! I didn't think it was anything dire, just hadn't seen that one before. Yes, great deal if its the same charger.

Speaking of which, this morning before the shoots started I checked battery supply and the one on the right wasn't charging...the adaptor plate there had come loose and needed to be re-seated.
Not wanting to throw water on the parade or anything but this is becoming annoying....
Thinking Im gonna "modify" mine with some gorilla glue or a metal screw to hold it down

awertz

Thanks for the 'splanation, Ken! I didn't think it was anything dire, just hadn't seen that one before. Yes, great deal if its the same charger.

Speaking of which, this morning before the shoots started I checked battery supply and the one on the right wasn't charging...the adaptor plate there had come loose and needed to be re-seated.
Not wanting to throw water on the parade or anything but this is becoming annoying....
Thinking Im gonna "modify" mine with some gorilla glue or a metal screw to hold it down
Thanks for the heads up, yeah I've been getting malware warnings from the google DNS that I use with anything linked from getdpi. Amazon always seems to put the trackback in their product link and I thought I got rid of it.

The quality of the Watson is definitely a bit iffy, the left charger (usb 5.3v as opposed to 12v dc) crapped out on me today. Swapped the plates and still nothing. Will give it a day and see, or it's back to b&h.

Curious if anyone out there with more knowledge on the matter could tell me if it means anything that the Hahnel charging current of 700-1500mA vs. the 1A and 2A max on the Watson. The 2A Watson side will be faster, but does it make any difference at all in the extended life vs immediate capacity of the 3400mAh batteries? Not a big deal, just wondering if anyone knew offhand.

cheers,

Andrew

sc_john

Add my recently purchased Watson Duo to list of those that have failed. Upon receiving the Watson, I charged one set of 3400 mAH batteries for XF; one battery achieved 100% and other battery stopped charging at 20%. Switched to Hahnel, and 100% and 20% from Watson measured as 60% and 0%, respectively on Hahnel. Put batteries in XF and got readings similar to Hahnel. Tried to charge another set of 3400 mAH batteries and nothing... charger is inop (and on its way back to Amazon). Disappointing:banghead:.

John

aztwang

Purchased a Prospec battery charger thru Amazon, it came from Calumet. I paid like $14.99 plus 2 plates @ $2.50 ea so everything together totalled few cents over $20.00. Tried it out, topped off all 8 batteries that I own, it seems to be fast, gives volt and level readouts and has a/c and d/c charger chords. Appears to be the exact same as a Watson except this charges uses a A/C adapter on a power chord where the Watson appears to have a additional port for straight a/c power. The Prospec actually has a block off plate where that A/C chord would go.A far shout from $220.00 and its faster....FWIW

Cheers Ya'll

Paul2660

I received mine yesterday, along with the Canon and Nikon adapters, works great. Nice feature is the USB output, which allows you to change another device like a phone.

Thanks, to the info. BTW, mine came with Calumet pricing stickers on them. So they were from the close out.

Paul C

kdphotography

Wish I had been able to take advantage of the Prospec option----I could have nearly four Watson chargers for the same price:)! Still better than Hahnel....

Tibor

I just recently bought an IQ back and was doing little research on Phase One battery chargers, found this thread.

Now Phase One uses the Hahnel Pro Cube 2 battery charger for Canon but with a BP-911/914/915 plate that seems to be custom made for Phase One as Hahnel does not sell it on its web site under spare parts and the Canon Pro Cube 2 is delivered only with the plate for LP-E6/8/17 batteries.

The Pro Cube 2 still does not seem professional grade built to me so I did some more research on Canon BP-915 type battery chargers.

I found this Hawk-Woods chargers for Canon BP-915 type batteries that should charge the Phase One 3400 mAh 7.2 V batteriers:
- 2-Channel simultaneous fast charger http://www.hawkwoods.co.uk/Prods/Product/DV-MC2A
- 4-Channel simultaneous fast charger http://www.hawkwoods.co.uk/Prods/Product/DV-MC4A
- 8-Channel simultaneous fast charger http://www.hawkwoods.co.uk/Prods/Product/DV-MC8A

Will probably be getting the 2-Channel charger myself.

kdphotography

The Prospec noted above looks amazingly the same as the Watson. I have had the Watson dual bay charger for several years and it works great. Much better than the stock Hahnel. I haven't see the latest Hahnel Phase charger for the IQ4. Watson also makes a great single bay charger for travel.

ken

narikin

The Prospec noted above looks amazingly the same as the Watson. I have had the Watson dual bay charger for several years and it works great. Much better than the stock Hahnel. I haven't see the latest Hahnel Phase charger for the IQ4. Watson also makes a great single bay charger for travel.

ken
Watson and Prospec are the same. It was just rebranding for Calumet, who went into receivership in USA, and the chargers were sold off for pennies on the dollar.

I bought one, then got another as spare, ($9.95 w free shipping!) They work great, Watson plates slot right in.
Likewise single travel/car charger, bought 2 of those too. ($2 !!)

They're about on eBay, but hover around $30 now. Worth it still tho'.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
The I haven't see the latest Hahnel Phase charger for the IQ4. ken
The new Hahnei charger is a nice improvement. Much smaller, seems to be more intelligent, not sure about charge times but no issues for me. Has a USB port so you can use it to charge your phone or similar items as well. Quite a few good reviews on the Hahnei ProCube design of chargers.

Here’s the “canon” version from Hahnei’s site, not sure if it will charge the Phase/canon batteries but you can see the size and design ... https://www.hahnelusa.com/irish-shop/procube2_canon/