Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Phase One Battery and Charger Question

Post Thanks / Like

Phase One Battery and Charger Question

I need a twin charger for my XF and Credo60 batteries. In doing a little research, do these batteries share the same "mount" as the Canon BP-915 batteries? IOW, will a charger that charges the BP-915 also charge the Phase batteries? Specifically, I am looking at this Watson charger.

Amazon.com : Watson Duo LCD Charger for BP-900 Series Batteries -For Canon BP-900 Series Type Batteries : Camera And Camcorder Battery Chargers : Camera & Photo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Phase One Battery and Charger Question

I have one of their similarly described portable chargers, and it works: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...arger_for.html
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

That is the charger you want to get for the Phase battery. This is so much better than the Phase Hahnel supplied charger---it's not even close. Much better build quality. My Hahnel charger gets scratched and dinged up if I look at it too long. It still works, but the lights only work when they want to, and well, you get the idea. The Watson duo charger-- Don't forget the single bay Watson travel charger. Nice small package. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...arger_for.html (I thought I'd add that in since we're spending your money)

ken

Post Thanks / Like

Just to be clear, the Watson charger I posted will charger the black Phase batteries? I ask because when I bought my pre-owned Mamiya 645DF, it came with gray batteries and the Hahnel MC-103(?) single bay charger. It's works fine. Then I upgraded to the Credo 60 and got a black battery and the same 103 charger. Or so I thought. I now had 2 chargers with the same model number, but the charger I received with the pre-owned body wouldn't take the black battery. The slotting is different. The chargers have the sane model number and look the same but they're not. Maybe one needs an adapter plate? Anyway, now that I upgraded to the XF, the gray batteries don't fit. So neither the Credo or XF will take the gray batteries. Which means one if my chargers is now obsolete as it won't charge the black batteries. Therefore, I just wanna make sure this Watson will do the job.

Post Thanks / Like

This is what I use for my Phase XF and IQ3 100MP MFDB: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...arger_for.html

I would suggest updating to the latest version of batteries for the XF body. The later version MFDBs also require (or recommend) later generation batteries. Earlier P series back can accept most all.

I got quite a few good older generation batteries if anyone is interested. I have plenty of the later version.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Is it really worth it over the one that comes with the back or XF? Mine works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    This is what I use for my Phase XF and IQ3 100MP MFDB: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...arger_for.html

I would suggest updating to the latest version of batteries for the XF body. The later version MFDBs also require (or recommend) later generation batteries. Earlier P series back can accept most all.

I got quite a few good older generation batteries if anyone is interested. I have plenty of the later version.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

If yours works, Doug---no worries. Mine "works" but one of the Hahnel bays is hesitant at times, sometimes the light gauges work, sometimes they don't, etc. It's finicky, and that's not something I need in my workflow. I still use it if needed to charge multiple sets of batteries, alongside the Watson. The Hahnel just is not the best charger---kinda frail, and you'd expect more from the company that has elephants stepping on its products to show how tough it is. The Watson simply is better built.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a demo XF and got no charger with it. All I have at present is a single bay charger. The Hahnel twin charger is $179. Just seems too much to me for a charger. So I was looking for alternatives.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have this one and it is 10 times better than the original phase charger. Would never go back.

As far as I know it is close or the same to the Watson.

https://www.calumetphoto.de/product/...r-DV/CALCJ1107

It can charge many batteries. In addition, to my Phase zone Batteries I charged my Nikons as well.

For phase one you Just need the right adapted plates. You even can charge AA batteries with the right adapter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have and use the Watson with the 915 plates. Works fine.

Post Thanks / Like

What an opportune thread. I was just thinking yesterday I wanted to get a backup charger given the apparent flimsiness of the supplied charger. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I took delivery of the Watson charger a few hours ago. This thing is MILES better than the single bay Hahnel charger I have and it's $100 less than the twin bay Hahnel. So glad I did a little research for alternative solutions and I thank all who contributed to this thread.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the Hahnel dual-charger. My research led me to these solutions as well, but I never took the leap. Haven't had any problems either.

Post Thanks / Like

Haha this is a good gear thread. I have the twin Hahnel charger and 5 black batteries for 3 digital backs (2-IQ's + 1-Credo) and its always a crap shoot! Some batteries only work on the right side of the charger, some the left, sometimes the light shows percent charged, sometimes it shows nothing at all, we always keep seating and re-seating and playing musical chairs with batteries on a busy day until we are convinced it is "actually" charging.
    Ken you say these clowns actually show ads with elephants trampling their chargers??? Man, we baby ours, put on a pedestal (literally) and say incantations and do whole Japanese tea ceremony before every use and the damn thing still barely works!

I think I will try this Watson dual thingie or the calumet one...anything's better than the oem Hahnel "CPS" charger!! So much time is wasted when I think about it.
    Thanks for the tip!

e

Post Thanks / Like

To be fair, the elephant test was on a P+ series MFDB. ---not the battery chargers. But you get the idea. You just expect everything in the kit to be well-built. The Hahnel works, but is really flimsy. The Watson is pretty solid.

Watch an Elephant Step on Two Medium Format Digital Backs | Popular Photography

Post Thanks / Like

The feel of the Hahnel and Watson is night and day. The Hahnel feels light, plastic, flimsy, easily breakable. The Watson feel robust and solid. Plus the Watson gives charge statistics. Honestly, IMO they're not in the same ballpark. Then taking price into consideration I can't see how Hahnel sells any of these chargers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mgreer316 View Post
    The feel of the Hahnel and Watson is night and day. The Hahnel feels light, plastic, flimsy, easily breakable. The Watson feel robust and solid. Plus the Watson gives charge statistics. Honestly, IMO they're not in the same ballpark. Then taking price into consideration I can't see how Hahnel sells any of these chargers.
    Why did you do that? Why? Now I have to purchase the Watson...just to feel the difference lol.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Damn Enablers. They're everywhere!

Post Thanks / Like

Coincidentally, I was just about to respond to this saying that the supplied Hahnel dual charger, while woefully lacking in quality, functions just fine me and that I therefore wouldn't see the point in purchasing a different one. Granted, it feels like a plastic POS and Phase should be embarrassed to be including it (as compared to the build quality of all the other components and accessories); and every time I unfold it to open it I either (1) can't get the fricking thing to open at all or (2) end up pulling the two halves apart because once it's open, they separate with the slightest pressure; but hey, as long as it works, who cares?

Then I happened to walk past my charger, which is (in theory) charging two batteries right now. For the first time, I'm now seeing the same problems reported here. On one side, the LED is lit; the other is out. The lit side doesn't show the charged percentage; the unlit side does. Tried unplugging and re-plugging everything: no change.

That's it. Just ordered the charger linked to below. Not thrilled at having to spend the extra $ in order to get a reliable charger: given the overall cost of the system, that's inexcusable.

Post Thanks / Like

Ken,

How does one identify whether you have the latest batteries for the XF as opposed to an earlier generation? Is this documented by Phase somewhere? Is there a different model number? Etc.

I would suggest updating to the latest version of batteries for the XF body.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is that you were looking at your Hahnel charger----stop looking at it and it will work fine.

Anyone notice their Hahnel charger giving a *spark* when they plug the cord into the charger unit? Mine does.... I know, I know---stop looking at it

The latest generation of batteries for the IQ and XF are 3400 Mah. Really not much of an issue, but moreso for the IQ MFDBs to use the latest generation of batteries. P series MFDBs can use them all. I've got a handful of the older batteries if anyone is interested---all hold a charge and work.

https://www.digitalback.com/product/...-back-battery/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As long as the voltage is the same is all that matters, as the milliamp rating, just tells you how long the battery will last, thus the 3400 cells will last in theory considerably longer than the 2400, 2900 ones. However in reality, they all seem about the same for my use, net, not long enough. Phase would benefit all by making a 5000 milliamp cell, in the same footprint as the 3400. If they can keep the cell from expanding with heat. The Phase cells are all Canon batteries. Actually the best lived ones I ever used, (still do) are the silver ones that CI sold a few years back, I believe they were 2900 milliamps, but by far the best cells as far as good life.

Paul C

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your responses. I've got the 3400 batteries, so it appears I've got the latest versions.

Post Thanks / Like

Went to order the watson on Amazon and the price had changed to $110! Found it for the $79 on B&H and should be here tomorrow or Tuesday. I'm so excited! (Its always the little things with me )
    Cant wait to throw the Hahnel charger into my "Island of Misfit Toys" box in the back of the studio away from the "good" gear where it can't corrupt anyone else ever again!

e

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don't want to be the voice in the wilderness here, but I have two Hahnel chargers and they work just fine - though I admit moving the cover is finicky.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They sometimes do work. I have 3 and from the 6 charging ports only 1 actually charges....

Post Thanks / Like

Bill, Haha...yeah, its probably going to be no better but I'm a sucker and fall for it everytime!

Here's the long boring story that only a Phase One engineer should probably read:
    All I can say is its one of those tiny little annoyances that I never paid much attention to and just figured it was yet another "thing" about shooting MFD that I just had to grin and bear it. All Canon DSLRs in the studio have trusty bulletproof AC adaptors and go all day and night no fuss no muss. I don't even know where the batteries to the Canons are anymore

Then came the IQ250:

Ever since they switched to USB as the only way to get LiveView with the IQ250 we were forced to connect via USB instead of trusty old FW800 that kept the batteries charged all day, everyday, all the time...never failed..never needed but 1 battery per camera back because...what would be the point? Then we got the IQ250 and the main point of it was to get "real" live view. The very 1st thing we found out was that live view was only enabled via USB connection tethered. To add insult to injury, USB didn't have enough oomph to keep up with battery drain in normal day2day operation in studio. Batteries started dying in the middle of shoots. We bought multiple batteries and started the musical chairs CPS Hahnel dual charging nightmare.

This thing has no AC adaptor that works very well. and it goes thru batteries quickly in a production studio. Yeah yeah We also invested in the FW800 DC chargers that are plugged in all the time to the cameras, and they don't always keep up either. (Why not? I don't know..."screws fall out, its an imperfect world", right?)
    So we bought a bunch of spare batteries....
    All I can tell you is every single day we probably spend 2-5 minutes fiddling with the battery charger during the course of the day to make sure it is actually charging because its just not a "given" with the Hahnel. And god help you if you have some 3rd party batteries...(we have 2 of 8)
    I was resigned to this fate until I read this thread.

Fingers crossed...now mr Phase One engineer reading this, its only been 2 years, can I finally please get white balance in live view?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The good news is Phase One already heard your concerns and the IQ3 can run off USB power assuming you use a newer BC1.2 complaint USB3 port or hub.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Doug
    Good to hear from you! I knew you would probably read that story

But I think upgrading to all new IQ3'$ and all new Mac'$ will be considerably more expensive than just getting a better battery charger...
    But nice to know they have improved it! Now how about that white balance in LV ? (gotta keep trying, right? or is that fixed in the new IQ3 series too?)

e

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Guys,
    Just wanted to follow up with some good news about the white balance in Live View thingy.
    Apparently unbeknownst to us; but knownst to "them", Phase One released a Firmware update that allows for auto-white balance in Live View!!! And some other controls as well!
    I found this out because Steve Hendrix from Capture Integration saw this thread and took pity on me! He and Brad Kaye from CI told me about it and hooked a brother up with the update. Thank you guys!!! Very well done!
    So just wanted to give kudos to the guys over at Capture Integration for hearing our plea and fixing the sitch.
    Well done, CI.

The Watson charger hasn't arrived yet, but Im in a much better mood now that I have finally white balance and levels control on my IQ250!

e

Post Thanks / Like

Do let us know your impression of the Watson when it comes in.

Post Thanks / Like

Got the Watson charger today. It's so much better than the Hahnel charger that's it's not even funny.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    I have this one and it is 10 times better than the original phase charger. Would never go back.

As far as I know it is close or the same to the Watson.

https://www.calumetphoto.de/product/...r-DV/CALCJ1107
    Christopher, do you know the part number of the battery plate required for the IQ batteries?

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not without looking it up. Perhaps just give them a quick call or so.

Post Thanks / Like

Got our Watson charger today. 1st impressions:

1. The adaptor plates can come out or loose so thats a "bad" thing for the Watson
    2. Better build quality
    3. More versatile (has a usb charge port on the side as well as a car cigarette lighter adaptor for charging on the go)
    4. Nice digital readout (no better or worse than CPS Hahnel)
    5. Electric cord is normal 2-prong variety so its easy to find space to plug it in anywhere (Unlike the CPS Hahnel that uses up 3 plug ports with its oversized plug thingy)

Working fine...happy so far

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Egor View Post
    Got our Watson charger today. 1st impressions:

1. The adaptor plates can come out or loose so thats a "bad" thing for the Watson
    I know the plates are interchangeable, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to detach them. Not that I need to. I was just curious. But mine are firmly locked into place. So I wouldn't call it a negative. Also, with the single bay Hahnel charger there is no digital readout. So for me the Watson is a huge upgrade at a much lower cost.

Post Thanks / Like

I know the plates are interchangeable, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to detach them. Not that I need to. I was just curious. But mine are firmly locked into place. So I wouldn't call it a negative. Also, with the single bay Hahnel charger there is no digital readout. So for me the Watson is a huge upgrade at a much lower cost.
    Mgreer316, LOL...I just pulled mine out of the box and put two batteries in and at 1st I was bummed out because it was behaving just like the CPS charger. That is to say that the left battery wasn't charging and the right battery was charging fine. I kept seating and re-seating the battery on the left, thinking it was me that somehow seated it wrong. On the 3rd re-seat of the left battery, the whole battery and adapter plate fell out in my hand. I put it straight down over its contacts, and then using my thumb and palm, snapped it into place. Seems to work fine now. If I figure out how to unseat it again, I will use put a dab of epoxy down so it never gets loose again.

And in case anyone is wondering, yes, it says its for Canon BP-9xxx series but fits IQ and Credo battery perfectly.

Post Thanks / Like

Just out of curiosity, what's the trick to unseating the plates? I'm a degreed mechanical engineer and worked in that capacity for almost 20 years before I started my studio. But as I looked over this charger I couldn't and still can't figure out how to unseat the plates.

Post Thanks / Like

Just out of curiosity, what's the trick to unseating the plates? I'm a degreed mechanical engineer and worked in that capacity for almost 20 years before I started my studio. But as I looked over this charger I couldn't and still can't figure out how to unseat the plates.

Mgreer316, Me too! (I was a structural engineer; you made missiles, I made targets...right? If I remember school you ME's always won those contests!

I don't know correct procedure for unseating the plate, only that it was unseated when I got the unit and is now firmly seated. I usually don't try to reverse engineer items that are working properly that I depend on ; BUT I will take a look if I get over to the studio this weekend, try to break it, and let you know via IM

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fingernail pressure in the gap, and the plate clicks loose.

Post Thanks / Like

After purchasing the Watson dual charger last week for the same reasons noted above (done having that frankenstein plug basically take over a pocket in my to go bag) I've been more than happy with it, however poking around on Amazon tonight looking to compare the charging specs when charging 1 vs 2 batteries I came across a Calumet branded "Prospec" model that is almost certainly identical to the Watson.... and it's only $15! A far cry from the $80 "deal" the Watson is going for at B&H. As of now there are only 9 left in stock. Have a look for yourself:

https://www.amazon.com/Prospec-Imagi.../dp/B00RDEEKIE

cheers,

Andrew

(new to the forum)

Post Thanks / Like

Two things. I think you still need to get the plates. And second, I wonder of this is left over inventory from Calumet's going out of business?

Post Thanks / Like

Nice find. That Prospec charger on Amazon looks exactly like the Watson charger. (Looks can be deceiving?). And you can find the Prospec plates on Amazon too. Look for Prospec charger plates for Canon BP batteries. About $5. Great deal if the total package works.

You can also find the Watson charger plates at B&H for about $2. Search Watson dual charger plates for Canon BP 9 series batteries....

Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I will let you guys know if the prospec works.

Thanks for tip. With plates for BP911 23.00 before shipping.

Paul C

Post Thanks / Like

When I click on that link, Andrew, I get a warning that "this site may contain malware". I doubt its anything but since I already got one I didn't proceed further. Odd though that it looks like its Amazon but has that warning.
    Anyway, just thought I'd mention it.

e

Name:  malware-warning.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  71.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Strange deal, as I had a similar issue the other day trying to order on the B&H site, never have seen that type of issue.

My Amazon order went through OK however.

Paul C

Post Thanks / Like

Eric---anything linked and clicked from GetDPI (at least on my computer) gives a malware notice too. If you cut and paste the link into your browser, it will show up correctly. Somehow, it also seems that the included links on GetDPI get truncated so that you end up at a homepage (e.g., B&H) as opposed to the actual item linked. It is easy enough to search and find anyway once the search terms or company names are disclosed as they are here.

Smoking deal Paul if it is indeed the same charger!

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sweet deal indeed.

Post Thanks / Like

Eric---anything linked and clicked from GetDPI (at least on my computer) gives a malware notice too. If you cut and paste the link into your browser, it will show up correctly. Somehow, it also seems that the included links on GetDPI get truncated so that you end up at a homepage (e.g., B&H) as opposed to the actual item linked. It is easy enough to search and find anyway once the search terms or company names are disclosed as they are here.

Smoking deal Paul if it is indeed the same charger!

ken
    Thanks for the 'splanation, Ken! I didn't think it was anything dire, just hadn't seen that one before. Yes, great deal if its the same charger.

Speaking of which, this morning before the shoots started I checked battery supply and the one on the right wasn't charging...the adaptor plate there had come loose and needed to be re-seated.
    Not wanting to throw water on the parade or anything but this is becoming annoying....
    Thinking Im gonna "modify" mine with some gorilla glue or a metal screw to hold it down

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Egor View Post
    Thanks for the 'splanation, Ken! I didn't think it was anything dire, just hadn't seen that one before. Yes, great deal if its the same charger.

Speaking of which, this morning before the shoots started I checked battery supply and the one on the right wasn't charging...the adaptor plate there had come loose and needed to be re-seated.
    Not wanting to throw water on the parade or anything but this is becoming annoying....
    Thinking Im gonna "modify" mine with some gorilla glue or a metal screw to hold it down
    Thanks for the heads up, yeah I've been getting malware warnings from the google DNS that I use with anything linked from getdpi. Amazon always seems to put the trackback in their product link and I thought I got rid of it.

The quality of the Watson is definitely a bit iffy, the left charger (usb 5.3v as opposed to 12v dc) crapped out on me today. Swapped the plates and still nothing. Will give it a day and see, or it's back to b&h.

Curious if anyone out there with more knowledge on the matter could tell me if it means anything that the Hahnel charging current of 700-1500mA vs. the 1A and 2A max on the Watson. The 2A Watson side will be faster, but does it make any difference at all in the extended life vs immediate capacity of the 3400mAh batteries? Not a big deal, just wondering if anyone knew offhand.

cheers,

Andrew