The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

XF long shutter speeds

shuttermax

Hi,

I'm currently considering an upgrade from my 645Z to a Phase One XF 100 MP. It's really great to have a camera that allows to set the shutter speeds for long exposures in camera instead of fiddling around with an external remote. However, from a demo video I've seen it seems that even for long exposures there are only shutter speeds available for every 1/3rd stop or 1/2 stops depending on the user settings. This is totally fine at exposure times shorter than a couple of seconds. But for long exposures when capturing events that take a distinct amount of time I'd prefer to be able to set the shutter speed down to the exact number of seconds.
Is there any way to set the long exposure shutter speeds more precisely with the XF?

Max

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hi,

I'm currently considering an upgrade from my 645Z to a Phase One XF 100 MP. It's really great to have a camera that allows to set the shutter speeds for long exposures in camera instead of fiddling around with an external remote. However, from a demo video I've seen it seems that even for long exposures there are only shutter speeds available for every 1/3rd stop or 1/2 stops depending on the user settings. This is totally fine at exposure times shorter than a couple of seconds. But for long exposures when capturing events that take a distinct amount of time I'd prefer to be able to set the shutter speed down to the exact number of seconds.
Is there any way to set the long exposure shutter speeds more precisely with the XF?

Max
Set the exposure to the next highest value (or to bulb) and use the "Stop" button when you desire to end the exposure. The camera will count up in seconds on the screen based on the start of the exposure so you can end on whichever second you want.

I will pass along your request for exact-second exposure times for long exposures. Is there any camera currently available that you know allows for this, so that we can study the specifics of the interface? It's a potential challenge to present an interface that allows a large change quickly (e.g. going from 1/100th to 30 seconds) but also allows one second increments even at times like 10 minutes.

shuttermax

Set the exposure to the next highest value (or to bulb) and use the "Stop" button when you desire to end the exposure. The camera will count up in seconds on the screen based on the start of the exposure so you can end on whichever second you want.

I will pass along your request for exact-second exposure times for long exposures. Is there any camera currently available that you know allows for this, so that we can study the specifics of the interface? It's a potential challenge to present an interface that allows a large change quickly (e.g. going from 1/100th to 30 seconds) but also allows one second increments even at times like 10 minutes.
I'm not aware of any camera that is able to do this in camera. But almost any pro camera can do it through an external remote timer.
For the XF interface it should be easy to program into the firmware. It's alright to quickly scroll through the shutter speeds at 1/3rd stop increments. But the XF user should be able to fine tune the shutter speeds longer than a second, maybe by tapping the setting on the touch screen. I'm sure it can be done without getting in the way of a user friendly interface.
Would it be possible to use an external timer on the XF?

Max

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Would it be possible to use an external timer on the XF?
I'm not aware of any ready-built external timer. However, there is an external cable release (now shipping) for the XF. You could cut it and use the wires to integrate into any timer that is capable of opening and closing a circuit. I used The Time Machine a few years ago, and he would make connectors to any camera based on you sending him a cable release.

Phase One XF Electronic Release 3 ft
Phase One XF Electronic Release 15 ft

Paul2660

What would be a better idea, is Phase One creates a intervalometer, long overdue. Not really a need until the advent of CMOS backs, but now real long exposures are possible and Phase is a bit behind with just a single press button remote and that is over a year late, i.e. should have been there are announcement of the XF. Not a mystery as Mamiya has always had the single button 0 function remote with the coiled cable. It should have taken a one day to switch the interface.

Intervalometer support is long long long overdue on the XF.

The camera timer still requires you touching the camera and trust me, as careful as you want to be, you will eventually screw up and move it just enough to not have a long time laspe stack align just right.

Probably not in the cards, but needs to be.

Paul C

shuttermax

I'm not aware of any ready-built external timer. However, there is an external cable release (now shipping) for the XF. You could cut it and use the wires to integrate into any timer that is capable of opening and closing a circuit.
Instead of cutting it wouldn't the Multi Connector to Mini Jack Adapter work just the same?
The XF Cable Release seems to have the same 8 pin connector.

In the XF manual I couldn't find anything about how to set the XF into Bulb Mode. Is it just not mentioned or how could you set the XF to accept the shutter timing from the cable release?

Max

Chipcarterdc

Slightly off topic, but what would be the advantage of using a wired external cable release with the XF versus remote triggering via the Capture Pilot iPhone app?

I'm not aware of any ready-built external timer. However, there is an external cable release (now shipping) for the XF. You could cut it and use the wires to integrate into any timer that is capable of opening and closing a circuit. I used The Time Machine a few years ago, and he would make connectors to any camera based on you sending him a cable release.

Phase One XF Electronic Release 3 ft
Phase One XF Electronic Release 15 ft

Christopher

I love the wifi triggering. Use it all the time and for me an amazing feature. Especially as I can adjust settings from the iPhone without touching the XF at all.

The only drawback I can think of is battery drain is a little faster. However, not completely bad and for longer stuff I would use an external battery anyway.

kdphotography

Slightly off topic, but what would be the advantage of using a wired external cable release with the XF versus remote triggering via the Capture Pilot iPhone app?
I find a wired remote particularly helpful when shooting portraiture. Being able to keep your head up while triggering the camera allows you to pay more attention to a client. Where I find it extremely helpful is when working with a subject who is a "blinker." These are individuals who have an uncanny ability to seemingly detect the muscles in your hand squeezing the shutter button and close their eyes at the same time. Take the electromagnetic release cable and hold it behind your back. Keep your eyes on the subject (blinker), talk and guide them, and take the photo while pressing the button behind your back. The number of keepers goes up dramatically.

No iPhone for me since I'm on Droid. Regardless, I'd rather have the reliability and ease of a simple shutter release button than fiddle around with a touch screen interface and/or deal with potential wifi issues.

Ken

shuttermax

Can you set finer long exposure shutter speeds through the Capture Pilot app or is it also just 1/3 or 1/2 stop increments?

Max

Paul2660

Capture pilot just mirrors the backs camera controls. Time increments are the same. Hopefully Phase will put out firmware to change this and give a more detailed timer or just give a TRUE bulb setting as currently there is not one. To me a bit of over controlled design. All cameras should have bulb.

Phase kind of tried to put the power of a intervalometer in the XF but left the limit at 1 hour since that is what phase determined the longest exposure time for their backs. However in turn they left out bulb which gives the user a lot more potential control with a wired remote especially one with a locking ring as the Phase One does have.

I have also discovered that there is no way to turn off the dark frame exposure when attached to the XF which is also a bit of over control. You can defeat it with a tech camera I aerial mode which is not available on the XF.

Paul C

fotohouse

I find a wired remote particularly helpful when shooting portraiture. Being able to keep your head up while triggering the camera allows you to pay more attention to a client. Where I find it extremely helpful is when working with a subject who is a "blinker." These are individuals who have an uncanny ability to seemingly detect the muscles in your hand squeezing the shutter button and close their eyes at the same time. Take the electromagnetic release cable and hold it behind your back. Keep your eyes on the subject (blinker), talk and guide them, and take the photo while pressing the button behind your back. The number of keepers goes up dramatically.

No iPhone for me since I'm on Droid. Regardless, I'd rather have the reliability and ease of a simple shutter release button than fiddle around with a touch screen interface and/or deal with potential wifi issues.

Ken
I use my iPad Pro and wirelessly control the shutter from there, purely focused on conversing with the client until *flashbang* haha. Which remote are you using?