The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DF/DF+ can use lenses of Mamiya AFDIII?

Shineofleo

It always confused, but this is a simple one:

I have AFDIII now, and multiple lense. Can DF/DF+ use them without any problem? Thanks!

Paul2660

The lenses should all work fine if they are Mamiya or Phase brands.

I can't be sure but the AFDIII may be the same as the DF. For a while Mamiya and Phase ran duplicate products just different by names. True for lenses and camera bodies.

Paul C

Shineofleo

Thanks. The lenses I have fro AFDIII are old lense: AF80 F/2.8, AF 105mm-210mm ULD or manual such as 45mm, 120 Macro (non-D), 200 APO. All of with the logo Mamiya because those products were early Mamiya which has not bought by Phaseone.

I remember seeing some post here saying some lenses need to be modified then use with DF/DF+?

weinlamm

Thanks. The lenses I have fro AFDIII are old lense: AF80 F/2.8, AF 105mm-210mm ULD or manual such as 45mm, 120 Macro (non-D), 200 APO. All of with the logo Mamiya because those products were early Mamiya which has not bought by Phaseone.

I remember seeing some post here saying some lenses need to be modified then use with DF/DF+?
No. Normally not. Mamiya AFD III should be the same as first Phase One 645 AF (only re-branded).

Perhaps you had read about modification for the new XF-system.

But your lenses should all work on DF/DF+. Had them all in the past. Perhaps with manual lenses some light-meetering problems if you stop down them - but it's the same as with your Mamiya AFDIII (you should find something about this in your manual).

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
In general the advice is correct but there may be some exceptions depending upon the vintage of the lenses.

I had to have the firmware of my 120 macro updated though when I first moved to the DF. Heck, I didn't even realize that the 120 macro had a firmware chip at the time! It went back to Mamiya / MAC group and it's worked with every body since.