Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Filter system

  1. #1
    Senior Member aztwang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    371
    Post Thanks / Like

    Filter system

    I am getting ready to by in to a filter system for my Phase One Iq250. Any opinion regarding quality of filter holder system and more importantly quality of the available glass,
    Cokin, Lee, Hi-Tech, Cambridge in Color or any other Glass you recommend. Dont want to have to worry about color cast & I will need it to work with the Schneider 35LS.

    Cheers

    Don
    Last edited by aztwang; 3rd June 2016 at 03:11.

  2. #2
    Subscriber Member jotloob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KEMPTEN / GERMANY
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    116

    Re: Filter system

    I found , that the LEE ND filters give me a strong blue cast , at least with my HASSELBLAD CFV39 and CFV50 backs .
    That cast could not be corrected .
    I then aquired HAIDA filters which are perfectly good as well as HELIOPAN .
    So before you buy , see if you can make a test with the filters from various makers .
    Good luck .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Little Rock AR
    Posts
    1,927
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Filter system

    Which lenses are you wanting to filter?

    If tech you might be ok with the Lee 100 x 100 which are glass. If the 150 x150 size there are some other brands of filter I would consider.

    Paul C

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Filter system

    The best I've used, talking about 10 stop nd filters is Cokin Nuances X Pro. No colour shift at all, no blue cast and the size is perfect 130X130mm for 95mm lenses.

  5. #5
    Subscriber Member jotloob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KEMPTEN / GERMANY
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    116

    Re: Filter system

    Quote Originally Posted by Anna Engel View Post
    The best I've used, talking about 10 stop nd filters is Cokin Nuances X Pro. No colour shift at all, no blue cast and the size is perfect 130X130mm for 95mm lenses.
    I have tried to find more detailed information about the Cokin Nuances Pro .
    Even the Cokin Pages don't have the info I want .
    What I would like to know is the thickness of the glass and more info about the holder system . Also , can you use the LEE holder (modified) .
    The HAIDA filters are very good but also very thin and fragile .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  6. #6
    Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    5,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    564

    Re: Filter system

    With the 35LS and 28D and the need to build a new system from scratch, I ended up going with the LEE SW-150 system of .6 GND, little stopper, big stopper, super stopper and polarizer. I'd have rather stayed with the 100mm system but the 35LS and 28D necessitated going bigger.

    Certainly not the smallest but the glass ND filters work well, although you must avoid light contamination and reflections. The polarizer works very well but be careful as it'll crack if you just give it a bad look. (I'm on #2 now after the first seemed to spontaneously crack when inside the tin cover). I recommend the LEE SW-150 case too.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

    As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Filter system

    Hi Jurgen, the Cokin Nuances is nearly two times thicker than Lee's Big Stopper. It's very solid and excellent quality filter and as I mentioned before no colour shift at all !!! I shoot Hasselblad H system and before I used Lee's big stoper which was simply to small for 95mm diameter lenses ( vignieting) and unacceptable colour shift (blue cast as you said)... only useful for b&w photography. I don't thing you can adapt Lee's holder to it, because it is 130mm filter. I'm talking about XL size but they have smaller ones too, you have to check.

  8. #8
    Senior Member DougDolde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Joshua Tree, CA
    Posts
    487
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Filter system

    I never use any filters with my IQ180. Capture One has built in grad filters

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Little Rock AR
    Posts
    1,927
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Filter system

    Options to consider:

    Lee SW-150:, takes the 2mm filters, and can hold 2. Lee makes a Glass 150 x 150 CL-PL last time I checked, but their ND filters and grads are resin. The stoppers are glass, and Lee claims now that they have reworked the glass to help with the blue tint. Lee has a wide angle ring now that comes in 86mm, 95mm and 105mm and will let you use the SW-150 on any lens that will take one of those rings. The rings are heavy and on a 32mm Rodie, you really need to be careful as you are putting quite a bit of weight out past the copal, especially if you are using 2 filters.

    There are 2 other brands to consider for filters for the Lee that I use, Nisi and HiTech. Both make a CL-PL and Glass ND filters. I have the Nisi CL-PL which is cool. (The Lee is warm). and I use Hitech 150 x 150 ND, 0.9 and 1.2, these are the Firecrest line and have built in IR blockage. Excellent glass but expensive and as they are glass, not resin, one drop and there it goes.

    Standard round filters: You can sometimes find the Hitech firecrest filters in the 105mm size, and they are thin, with front threads. Again excellent glass. With the 35LS, you can screw them right on the threads of the lens, with no problems. Lee makes a CL-PL in the 105mm that is also thin and work well in this situation. The Lee CL-PL is warm, so you may have to adjust WB in post. This is what I carry when I carry my 35, 55mm and 75-150 as you can use step rings to adjust up to the 105mm size. I just prefer the screw in filters as they are both lighter and more secure in the field.

    If you have the 28mm LS, you can purchase a Nisi filter adapter for it, or Lee, but I choose the Nisi due to cost. Nisi is heavier being all metal and will take 3 2mm filters. Just like the Lee it mounts to the front hood of the 28mm. This is the only solution I know of that will allow filtering on the 28mm, and still work without vignetting. You can use the sheet CL-PL and just rotate it for best polarization.

    I have gone to the standard round filters on the 32mm Rodenstock, mainly due to the fact that they have so much less mass (not counting the Lee wide angle ring) so there is less weight on the front of the lens.

    On the 40mm and up, you can go back to the Lee 100 x 100 system, and use the Wide angle hood, with 2 filter or 1 filter holders. I use the hood with 1 filter holder and then use the 105mm adapter on the front of the hood to mount a round CL-PL, either B+W or Lee.

    If you want to slow your shutter speed down for 1 sec or longer in daylight, you pretty much have to use a filter of some sort and this in combination with a CL-PL to cut glare off rocks in the water, is main area I use filters. However at times it's nice to use a CL-PL to help cut sun glare off trees.

    The Hitech filters are excellent but Hitech just does not make them very often, I waited over 1 year to get a 1.2 and 0.9 from 2filter.com. You can easily find the 150 x 150 and 100 x 100 sheet firecrest filters as B&H will have them in stock most of the time.

    Third option is the Cokin X-Pro, but they are 130 instead of 150, so none of the Lee or Nisi or Firecrest filters will work, so I stayed with Lee for the 150 x 150 size.

    Short video I made showing some of these filters and wide angle rings:



    Paul C
    Paul Caldwell
    [email protected]
    www.photosofarkansas.com
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

  10. #10
    Subscriber Member jotloob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KEMPTEN / GERMANY
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    116

    Re: Filter system

    Thanks Paul .
    I think the HITECH FIRECREST 100x100 filters are what I am looking for . 2mm thick , SCHOTT glas , no color cast and easy to break , thats what I am looking for .
    Available through A. . .ON here .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  11. #11
    Senior Member aztwang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    371
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Filter system

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    Options to consider:

    Lee SW-150:, takes the 2mm filters, and can hold 2. Lee makes a Glass 150 x 150 CL-PL last time I checked, but their ND filters and grads are resin. The stoppers are glass, and Lee claims now that they have reworked the glass to help with the blue tint. Lee has a wide angle ring now that comes in 86mm, 95mm and 105mm and will let you use the SW-150 on any lens that will take one of those rings. The rings are heavy and on a 32mm Rodie, you really need to be careful as you are putting quite a bit of weight out past the copal, especially if you are using 2 filters.

    There are 2 other brands to consider for filters for the Lee that I use, Nisi and HiTech. Both make a CL-PL and Glass ND filters. I have the Nisi CL-PL which is cool. (The Lee is warm). and I use Hitech 150 x 150 ND, 0.9 and 1.2, these are the Firecrest line and have built in IR blockage. Excellent glass but expensive and as they are glass, not resin, one drop and there it goes.

    Standard round filters: You can sometimes find the Hitech firecrest filters in the 105mm size, and they are thin, with front threads. Again excellent glass. With the 35LS, you can screw them right on the threads of the lens, with no problems. Lee makes a CL-PL in the 105mm that is also thin and work well in this situation. The Lee CL-PL is warm, so you may have to adjust WB in post. This is what I carry when I carry my 35, 55mm and 75-150 as you can use step rings to adjust up to the 105mm size. I just prefer the screw in filters as they are both lighter and more secure in the field.

    If you have the 28mm LS, you can purchase a Nisi filter adapter for it, or Lee, but I choose the Nisi due to cost. Nisi is heavier being all metal and will take 3 2mm filters. Just like the Lee it mounts to the front hood of the 28mm. This is the only solution I know of that will allow filtering on the 28mm, and still work without vignetting. You can use the sheet CL-PL and just rotate it for best polarization.

    I have gone to the standard round filters on the 32mm Rodenstock, mainly due to the fact that they have so much less mass (not counting the Lee wide angle ring) so there is less weight on the front of the lens.

    On the 40mm and up, you can go back to the Lee 100 x 100 system, and use the Wide angle hood, with 2 filter or 1 filter holders. I use the hood with 1 filter holder and then use the 105mm adapter on the front of the hood to mount a round CL-PL, either B+W or Lee.

    If you want to slow your shutter speed down for 1 sec or longer in daylight, you pretty much have to use a filter of some sort and this in combination with a CL-PL to cut glare off rocks in the water, is main area I use filters. However at times it's nice to use a CL-PL to help cut sun glare off trees.

    The Hitech filters are excellent but Hitech just does not make them very often, I waited over 1 year to get a 1.2 and 0.9 from 2filter.com. You can easily find the 150 x 150 and 100 x 100 sheet firecrest filters as B&H will have them in stock most of the time.

    Third option is the Cokin X-Pro, but they are 130 instead of 150, so none of the Lee or Nisi or Firecrest filters will work, so I stayed with Lee for the 150 x 150 size.

    Short video I made showing some of these filters and wide angle rings:



    Paul C
    Great info Paul. Thanks!!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  12. #12
    Senior Member JohnBrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    532
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Filter system

    Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    Thanks Paul .
    I think the HITECH FIRECREST 100x100 filters are what I am looking for . 2mm thick , SCHOTT glas , no color cast and easy to break , thats what I am looking for .
    Available through A. . .ON here .
    The company is Formatt-Hitech and they are in UK. I order direct from them - the dollar is actually pretty good against the British pound at the moment. It takes about two weeks to have it in your hand here in US.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •