The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 645 AF 210/4 ULD or 645 AF 300/4.5 APO WITH 60MP BACK

sc_john

Anyone have experience with Mamiya 645 AF 210/4 ULD or 645 AF 300/4.5 APO and 60mp back. I am transitioning to a DF and want to consider a longer lens with less weight/cost than the 240LS. TIA for any comments.

John

brianwancho

I use the 210/4 ULD on a DF with a P65+ back. The image quality is very good when I remember to use Mirror-Up.

Unfortunately, I don't have anything newer in that focal range to compare it to.

Attached is a recent photo I took with that lens.

Attachments

Last edited:

Paul2660

The 210 is a great lens, often now overlooked with all the LS glass from Phase One, but if you find a good one, it's tack sharp. The contrast is not on the scale of the modern Phase lenses, but that can be fixed in post.

The 210 is light weight, and small compared to the 75-140 or LS 240. I would also say that the 210 can produce images as sharp as the 240 LS, with the correct technique. It's an excellent travel lens also. The only issue, the hood is integrated and over time it will loose it locking, so the hood just floats around when not in use. When in use you can still lock it, but it's designed to fit back around the lens and lock again, that part is what tends to give way.

I purchased one used from Jack, (one of the owners of this site) and it still works great today, with both the 160/260 and IQ100.

Paul C

Frederic

I've been using the 210 ULD on 33MP and 60MP backs, and don't find it very spectacular (compared to the LS80 or 120MF/AF for instance). If you need something in this focal range it's probably the best bang for the buck though.