The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

XF/IQ external power supply

aztwang

I am helping a company who currently offers an external battery system for Nikon, Canon and others and is wanting to add Phase One to their list of
manufacturers. The system basically connects your camera/digital back to a external battery, say a 12000Mah thus giving your IQ back 3-4 times battery life over the current 3400Mah battery. When
your external battery gets low you can change out that battery, and the system still provides power to the camera/back thus not having to power down the camera/back at all.
The system is proven, works well in other manufacturers and I'm providing my rig for some R&D.

I am curious to those P1 owners out there if you find this a device you would consider adding to your outfit.

Cheers

Don McPhee

Last edited:

Egor

Hi Don,
Perhaps, it would depend upon cost
See previous thread: Watson Dual Charger-http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-and-digital-backs/58698-phase-one-battery-charger-question.html

e

kdphotography

Would it be possible to create a "battery insert" with a power cord exiting the battery door hatch (left open), connected to an electrical adapter for continuous AC power supply? Or even with a USB power battery pack option, similar to the external lithium battery packs that are currently available?

You'd need two of these (one for each battery insert) although for the IQ3, since it can share power with the XF, it might only need one.

This type of insert with continuous AC would negate the need to swap out batteries. No need for me, but others might find it useful in studio.

ken

aztwang

Would it be possible to create a "battery insert" with a power cord exiting the battery door hatch (left open), connected to an electrical adapter for continuous AC power supply? Or even with a USB power battery pack option, similar to the external lithium battery packs that are currently available?

You'd need two of these (one for each battery insert) although for the IQ3, since it can share power with the XF, it might only need one.

This type of insert with continuous AC would negate the need to swap out batteries. No need for me, but others might find it useful in studio.

ken
You're somewhat on track Ken. Made to work with ext. lithium batteries. Probably more usefull for IQ1&2 owners which do not have sharing feature that IQ3 has. Im satisfied with XF battery life but could use help with IQ battery life.

Egor

ken
Ken, thats what the Canon DSLRs in our studio all use and like I said, its awesome. We never worry about batteries with those cameras, or running out of power. Its a pretty solid solution. The best I have found for the DF's over the years is the FW800 AC Plug but for some reason, it doesn't quite keep up with the camera battery (talking IQ back not the DF) and if you heavily use LV like us, it just prolongs the inevitable. (And thats with turning the LCD screen to 1% on the back, and "slow" PC charge)
The lithium batteries for the DF's are great and the camera itself doesn't seem to drain them much, so they aren't a problem. Although the XF solution is a good idea as backup for the IQ battery

The solution you are describing would be fantastic

e

Christopher

For me there is little benefit from such a battery. I can always just take a 10k USB battery and connect it to my Iq back. Extends the battery life by a huge amount.

aztwang

For me there is little benefit from such a battery. I can always just take a 10k USB battery and connect it to my Iq back. Extends the battery life by a huge amount.
How does that connect up Christopher? USB port? I did not know that was an option..:p

Egor

How does that connect up Christopher? USB port? I did not know that was an option..:p
Me too, I want to know that as well. As far as I can tell, there is only one usb port on these things and if you have something going in there, there is no way to have anything else (like tether cable to computer)
Also, again, USB does not supply enough power to overcome certain drains such as Live View for any prolonged period.
I guess that would work (external USB battery connection) as long as you are shooting to a card and don't need Live View. But if thats the case, might as well use FW800 and avoid the whole issue.

Why they did this (disable Live View through FW800) is beyond me and confounding. I think I was told that they needed the greater bandwidth of USB3 but that doesn't make sense because FW800 is commonly used for exactly this purpose in...hello...the video production industry! :banghead:

Christopher

Yes I should have said only shooting to a card. I'm not shooting in a studio. So I see the problem with only one USB port.

aztwang

Yes I should have said only shooting to a card. I'm not shooting in a studio. So I see the problem with only one USB port.
Still, you're saying you connect a usb3 cable to a 10 or 12KMah battery and connect into the USB port on the side of an IQ back with no complications and it charges the battery that is in the cavity? Is this an approved connection (out of curiosity) because I have never heard of this application.

Thanks

Don

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I like the idea of a big battery as I'm often in the wilderness for days at a time. I carry a solar panel presently but it's very bulky, even folded.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
There used to be a good option for the P series backs called the Canon CH-910 that could take two of the super large canon 900 series batteries and connect via a plate that resembled a thin BH-911 battery. Long discontinued, it worked great with my P25+ for long star trail shooting and cold weather. You change batteries mid shot without concern.

other than dealing with the XF/IQ battery door, I don't see why you couldn't fabricate a similar solution using a full size BH-911 case to fit into either camera or body.

Christopher

Still, you're saying you connect a usb3 cable to a 10 or 12KMah battery and connect into the USB port on the side of an IQ back with no complications and it charges the battery that is in the cavity? Is this an approved connection (out of curiosity) because I have never heard of this application.

Thanks

Don

Honestly I have no clue. I know it works pretty good. I got the idea when Doug I think talked here about powering the back through a USB hub with external power. I thought if that works why not use a USB battery.

Steve C

I have been tempted to try a large external USB battery, such as those designed for laptops, connected to an IQ3 back, but have always hesitated for fear of frying a $30k back. Phase One has never given me a straight answer if this would be safe. Are you stating that this works? If so, this would be a breakthrough for my needs. Regarding the comment that USB doesn't supply enough power, there are batteries advertised for high-current USB output. Would those work? Thanks in advance for any advice.

fotohouse

I have been tempted to try a large external USB battery, such as those designed for laptops, connected to an IQ3 back, but have always hesitated for fear of frying a $30k back. Phase One has never given me a straight answer if this would be safe. Are you stating that this works? If so, this would be a breakthrough for my needs. Regarding the comment that USB doesn't supply enough power, there are batteries advertised for high-current USB output. Would those work? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Yes, it should work.

Egor

I think the IQ battery type is called "BP-900" series plate

Watson should finally arrive today! yay!

On another positive note, did an all day photoshoot of products yesterday on an automated turntable.
Setup was IQ250/DF+/80LS...We are talking over 60 products X 6 angles each over 360 individual exposures. There were several miss-fires so the whole thing had to be done again occasionally so total was over 400 captures.

At "quittin' time" (5PM) I went to shut down the system and the back did not shut down so I went to just pull the battery and put it on the CPS-Hahnel and....there was no battery!!! The camera system worked flawlessly all day powered by the FW800 DC adaptor! I thought there was a battery in there but it was the FW800 adaptor the entire time.

So Don, if the company you are helping wants to apply power to supplement the on-board battery, I think they should do it through the FW800 port.
We use these on all rigs in our studio, but like I may have sid earlier, sometimes they work great (like yesterday) and sometimes they don't keep up; but better than just relying on the battery. We also plug all ours into TrippLite line conditioners to be sure power supply is clean. (Don't want to ruin a $50K system with a $25part)

cheers
e

https://digitaltransitions.com/product/firewire-800-dc-plug-for-iq-backs/

https://captureintegration.com/two-new-options-for-wall-powering-digital-backs/

aztwang

I think the IQ battery type is called "BP-900" series plate

Watson should finally arrive today! yay!

On another positive note, did an all day photoshoot of products yesterday on an automated turntable.
Setup was IQ250/DF+/80LS...We are talking over 60 products X 6 angles each over 360 individual exposures. There were several miss-fires so the whole thing had to be done again occasionally so total was over 400 captures.

At "quittin' time" (5PM) I went to shut down the system and the back did not shut down so I went to just pull the battery and put it on the CPS-Hahnel and....there was no battery!!! The camera system worked flawlessly all day powered by the FW800 DC adaptor! I thought there was a battery in there but it was the FW800 adaptor the entire time.

So Don, if the company you are helping wants to apply power to supplement the on-board battery, I think they should do it through the FW800 port.
We use these on all rigs in our studio, but like I may have sid earlier, sometimes they work great (like yesterday) and sometimes they don't keep up; but better than just relying on the battery. We also plug all ours into TrippLite line conditioners to be sure power supply is clean. (Don't want to ruin a $50K system with a $25part)

cheers
e

https://digitaltransitions.com/product/firewire-800-dc-plug-for-iq-backs/

https://captureintegration.com/two-new-options-for-wall-powering-digital-backs/
Well here's how it went down. The company is Tether Tools, a household name to many of us. They are wanting to add Phase One/IQ backs to their list of company's that work with their Case Relay system.
They ordered a Firewire A/C adapter kit and used the firewire 800 adapter that plugs into the IQ back. The Case relay system consists of a relay box, about the size of a couple Zippo lighters stacked on top of each other with a short wire out of one end that plugs into a Rock Solid external 10K Mah USB battery, using the .5V 2.1 amp outlet, and a longer wire out the opposite end that plugs directly into the Phase One firewire adapter.

The Case Relay was tested on my Phase One XF with an IQ250 back. Brade Kaye from Capture Integration was on the other end of the phone adding some technical assistance answering any questions that Josh from Tether Tools or I had.

First off I did have to go into IQ menu to Power Management and change "Charge from Pc" from slow to fast. When I initially plugged in the Phase One firewire adapter to an A/C outlet I showed a connection icon AND a lightning bolt inside of the battery icon. We then went on to plug in the Tether Tools Case Relay system to the firewire800 port and the connection icon came on but the lightning bolt icon was absent. For the next hour we clicked off 250 frames and had live view on for approximately 20-30 minutes. After that time we disconnected the Case Relay system and the battery level icon on the back showed full. I would estimate the battery level from this type of usage to be roughly at 50%, for sure nothing more than 75%. So, initially the system shows promise but time will tell.

I have the system for the next couple weeks to give it a good test. I will update my results.

Cheers

Don

Egor

Very cool, Don. Definitely let us know how it goes.
I am quite familiar with TetherTools and frequently buy their cables for tethering to our MacPro's and such. Good stuff.
I also used to buy their jerk-stoppers for the Canons in our studio but finally made home-built breakaway's for the usb ports on those. Just got tired of paying $400 every couple of months having CPS fix them. btw, The tether tools jerkstoppers worked great, but folks would forget to hook them up and well...:(

Anyways, MaH batteries would be clean power and helpful for location shoots. Sounds promising!

cheers

e