Site Sponsors
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: The great tripod & head thread!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The great tripod & head thread!

Thanks for sharing your first hand experiences. My thought was to get a lighter short/stubby more solid/stable head and L60 seems to fit that bill. But adding a leveling base would take away some of the reduction in weight/height advantage. I still might try this, but I am a bit less enthusiastic.
    IQ3 100 Cambo 1600 Rodenstock 32,50,90 Zeiss 350SA Phase One XF + 150/2.8 BR
    UnTroubled Land

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely the built-in leveling base on the Novoflex is a big plus with the L60. It maintains the low profile and adds that extra bit of adjustment range sometimes needed with the L60. This is the Novoflex triobalance that I use for travel. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...base_with.html It's apparently been discontinued, so not sure what or if has been replaced. Nice small package and good for travel. I thought about adding a leveling base to the TVC-24, but as you've noted, height and weight goes up. And in that regard, I'm right back at where I was using the KPS T5 with the TVC-24. So the Novoflex Trioblance with built-in leveler is a better choice imo with the L60. The KPS T5 stays on the TVC-24 as my middle weight tripod. Otherwise I prefer the RRS TVC33 and Cube.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    Definitely the built-in leveling base on the Novoflex is a big plus with the L60. It maintains the low profile and adds that extra bit of adjustment range sometimes needed with the L60. This is the Novoflex triobalance that I use for travel. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...base_with.html It's apparently been discontinued, so not sure what or if has been replaced. Nice small package and good for travel. I thought about adding a leveling base to the TVC-24, but as you've noted, height and weight goes up. And in that regard, I'm right back at where I was using the KPS T5 with the TVC-24. So the Novoflex Trioblance with built-in leveler is a better choice imo with the L60. The KPS T5 stays on the TVC-24 as my middle weight tripod. Otherwise I prefer the RRS TVC33 and Cube.
    This appears to be the newer version of the TrioBalance you linked.

I confess this is quite intriguing. Right now, my preferred tripod is an RRS TVC33s, with the leveler built into the platform [extra cost, but it doesn't change the length at all, and the weight only slightly], and an Arca Cube on top. But I like the compactness of the Novoflex+ the L60 package. Looks like a great travel option. The RRS problem in the 1 and 2 series tripods, is that a leveling base sits on top of the apex, rather than being fitted into it, which undoes much of the benefit of compactness, especially with either a Cube or P0 on top. Or even an L60.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Please note , that there is a TRIO POD and a TRIO POD PRO 75 .
    If in doubt , please see the NOVOFLEX homepage http://www.novoflex.de
    Click on the english language symbol on the right top corner .
    You will then easily see the differences , especially regarding the leveling base .

Regards . Jrgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone with an L60 QR lever clamp: is it the same 2-stage type of lever that the Cube has? I replaced my Cube clamps with RRS lever clamps, because I detest the A-S version; it's very difficult to use in the cold, and tough on the fingers. On an L60, I just might be inclined to go Classic, unless Precision Works or someone can swap the RRS lever clamp in. Seems to me they should be able to, as that is what I had done with my P0 Hybrid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drunkenspyder View Post
    This appears to be the newer version of the TrioBalance you linked.

I confess this is quite intriguing. Right now, my preferred tripod is an RRS TVC33s, with the leveler built into the platform [extra cost, but it doesn't change the length at all, and the weight only slightly], and an Arca Cube on top. But I like the compactness of the Novoflex+ the L60 package. Looks like a great travel option. The RRS problem in the 1 and 2 series tripods, is that a leveling base sits on top of the apex, rather than being fitted into it, which undoes much of the benefit of compactness, especially with either a Cube or P0 on top. Or even an L60.
    Any idea what size legs are on the Novaflex? I just sold my RRS-TQC-14. It was a nice light package for travel, but the legs were too small for my current needs. I upgraded to a 3 section PMG TR423 tripod which has 42mm, 38mm, and 34mm legs. The 5.8 lbs. weight is not bad, but the collapsed 26" length can be an issue for travel. To solve that I opted for the Benro 75mm Hi-Hat for non photo related travel since it is rock solid and only weighs 3 lbs 7 oz with a leveling base and quick connect clamp attached. The leveling base provides minor adjustment and the Benro is sturdy enough to handle a C1 GP cube for low angle shots. With the cube attached the base of the camera can extend as high as 16" which is high enough for most travel situations. For reference I am showing the smaller Leica tripod that I no longer use.

[IMG]20190119Travel0001 by timberline12k, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0447 (002) by timberline12k, on Flickr[/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone with an L60 QR lever clamp: is it the same 2-stage type of lever that the Cube has? I replaced my Cube clamps with RRS lever clamps, because I detest the A-S version; it's very difficult to use in the cold, and tough on the fingers. On an L60, I just might be inclined to go Classic, unless Precision Works or someone can swap the RRS lever clamp in. Seems to me they should be able to, as that is what I had done with my P0 Hybrid.
    Yes it is the same one. I swapped mine out for an RRS quick release. Not too difficult. You just have to be careful not to lose the little ball and spring. The top plate is held in place by the same screw that holds the clamp on, so when you remove the clamp, you have to hold on to the thin top plate or the little ball bearing will go flying into Nevernever land. The RRS clamp doesn't have the registration pins that are on the A/S clamp, so you have to center everything up when tightening the RRS clamp down in order to get that ball detent to work right. Might take a try or two. The thin plate sits on top at ~ 1.9-2" on the ruler:

Dave
    How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir

davechewphotography.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dchew View Post
    Yes it is the same one. I swapped mine out for an RRS quick release. Not too difficult. You just have to be careful not to lose the little ball and spring. The top plate is held in place by the same screw that holds the clamp on, so when you remove the clamp, you have to hold on to the thin top plate or the little ball bearing will go flying into Nevernever land. The RRS clamp doesn't have the registration pins that are on the A/S clamp, so you have to center everything up when tightening the RRS clamp down in order to get that ball detent to work right. Might take a try or two. The thin plate sits on top at ~ 1.9-2" on the ruler:

Dave
    Superb info. Much appreciated. Did you put a clamp with a bubble on? I think the L60 comes with that, yes? Thanks Dave!

Post Thanks / Like

Superb info. Much appreciated. Did you put a clamp with a bubble on? I think the L60 comes with that, yes? Thanks Dave!
    It does come with that, but I went with the smaller RRS clamp that doesn’t have a bubble level. My camera pretty much obscures the bubble on the clamp so it is useless to me.

Dave

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KanzaKruzer View Post
    Any idea what size legs are on the Novaflex? I just sold my RRS-TQC-14. It was a nice light package for travel, but the legs were too small for my current needs. I upgraded to a 3 section PMG TR423 tripod which has 42mm, 38mm, and 34mm legs. The 5.8 lbs. weight is not bad, but the collapsed 26" length can be an issue for travel. To solve that I opted for the Benro 75mm Hi-Hat for non photo related travel since it is rock solid and only weighs 3 lbs 7 oz with a leveling base and quick connect clamp attached. The leveling base provides minor adjustment and the Benro is sturdy enough to handle a C1 GP cube for low angle shots. With the cube attached the base of the camera can extend as high as 16" which is high enough for most travel situations. For reference I am showing the smaller Leica tripod that I no longer use.
    I do a lot of ground level stuff, too, and when I know positively that's all I am going to do, I use the RRS carbon fiber Series 3 Ground Tripod. But I so rarely have the confidence that I won't need something else, that the little guy tends to stay at home or in the car.

From the Novoflex site for the 2844 TrioBalance:

Diameter of the leg segments (mm): 27.9 (1.1"); 24.9 (0.98"); 21.9 (0.86"); 18.9 (0.74")
    But it's two+ pounds lighter than your PMG rig [which for me is a huge difference]. More comparable to your PMG rig would be the 3-section TrioBase. Also stuck at about 26+ inches in length.

Post Thanks / Like

It does come with that, but I went with the smaller RRS clamp that doesn’t have a bubble level. My camera pretty much obscures the bubble on the clamp so it is useless to me.

Dave
    Thanks. Agreed with that shortcoming when the camera is on it, but . . . during setup, sure can be nice to have. And both my spare RRS QR mounts have bubbles, so what the heck. I may also consider the possibility of a Novoflex Q=Base. I already have one on order to try out this suggested rig. To the point of earlier posts here, will it be limited in its adjustments without messing with the legs? Yes. But will it be more compact, lighter, and still sturdy? Yes to that as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Got the mini-cube today. Very compact. Pretty much what I was hoping it would be. More stable and not as tall/pointy as the the KPS T5, even with the leveling base under the L60 and not under KPS T5.

Quite happy with my new setup of ProMediaGear TR424L tripod and the mini-cube.

Thanks for all the advice/help guys.
    Cheers!
    IQ3 100 Cambo 1600 Rodenstock 32,50,90 Zeiss 350SA Phase One XF + 150/2.8 BR
    UnTroubled Land
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don’t know how I ever managed to get by with a simple Gitzo pan tilt head.

Gary

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Personally, I dont think there has ever been a more beautiful finish than the hammered paint on the Gitzo alloy tripods and heads.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Dave
    Heh, I almost didn't see the little ball bearing at first. Picked mine up today, and I couldn't wait to get that dumb Arca lever off the darn thing. Dave, did you by chance use any thread locker?

Post Thanks / Like

Heh, I almost didn't see the little ball bearing at first. Picked mine up today, and I couldn't wait to get that dumb Arca lever off the darn thing. Dave, did you by chance use any thread locker?
    Yeah, I used blue Loctite. I wouldn’t dare use red. Since there are no longer any registration pins, it seemed like a good idea.

Dave

Edit: I suggest you really make an effort to tighten that screw. Get it tight, then grab some channel locks, grip the RRS clamp and really tighten the screw. Once you put the camera on there, your torque arm gets a lot bigger than you think, and the chance of rotating the clamp is pretty good. We bitch and moan about A/S and their use of thread locker, but they do it for a reason.
    Last edited by dchew; 5th February 2019 at 03:15.

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I used blue Loctite. I wouldnt dare use red. Since there are no longer any registration pins, it seemed like a good idea.

Dave

Edit: I suggest you really make an effort to tighten that screw. Get it tight, then grab some channel locks, grip the RRS clamp and really tighten the screw. Once you put the camera on there, your torque arm gets a lot bigger than you think, and the chance of rotating the clamp is pretty good. We bitch and moan about A/S and their use of thread locker, but they do it for a reason.
    Thanks Dave. Couldn't agree more about getting the screw locked down as tight as possible. Leverage changes dramatically with a camera on top.

And yeah, I don't fault A-S for locking it down or for much of anything. Just for the lever design.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.elundqvist.photo
    twitter: @erik_lundqvist
    instagram: elundqvist.photo
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

YAY, a MagicBall. I love my MagicBall Mini. The most underrated ball heads in the world.

Joel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JoelM View Post
    YAY, a MagicBall. I love my MagicBall Mini. The most underrated ball heads in the world.

Joel
    I got the medium, but I wonder if the mini would have been better. This setup is very very top heavy.

Post Thanks / Like

I also have the magicball mini and it does hold the X1d with either of the three lenses that I have. I like it lot
    Alpa 12 Plus TC | Schneider 90N | Schneider 120N | Hasselblad X1D | XCD 21 | XCD 45 | XCD 90 | www.danlindberg.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

On the other end of the scale from tripod rigs designed for heavy-ish medium format and long lens use, there are travel tripods. I have a couple of them, the best of which is the Sirui T-025x so far, but they're all really limited in capability and speed in the field.

My curiosity has been piqued by the new Peak Design Travel Tripod that was announced on Kickstarter recently: Kickstarter - Peak Design Travel Tripod

One of these, occasionally along with their optional universal head mount and my A-S Monoball P0, could be a brilliant travel kit, suitable for everything from the iPhone to my current usual travel camera (Leica CL with up to a 135mm lens). If it's stable enough... of course.

I put in a pledge. No other way to find out, really.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like

I think the Peak Design is a nifty idea, but the $600 price is a no-go for me. I'd rather buy a bulkier Gitzo at that point (I have and use my Mountaineer) and with a better head. Granted, it is compact, but not at that price point for me. Reviews will be interesting so I'll be curious to hear what you think when it arrives.

Joel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    On the other end of the scale from tripod rigs designed for heavy-ish medium format and long lens use, there are travel tripods. I have a couple of them, the best of which is the Sirui T-025x so far, but they're all really limited in capability and speed in the field.

My curiosity has been piqued by the new Peak Design Travel Tripod that was announced on Kickstarter recently: Kickstarter - Peak Design Travel Tripod

One of these, occasionally along with their optional universal head mount and my A-S Monoball P0, could be a brilliant travel kit, suitable for everything from the iPhone to my current usual travel camera (Leica CL with up to a 135mm lens). If it's stable enough... of course.

I put in a pledge. No other way to find out, really.

G
    Same here. Though there are a few prototype reviews out there that are pretty positive, I put in a pledge, because it's the only real way to find out. I am thinking universal plus the A-S L60 leveler. I recently tried out a combo of Novoflex legs and various leveling heads, and was very pleased with how well they worked, and how compact they could be. If I have room and weight capacity, I still carry the RRS 33S, but if weight is hypercritical, the Novoflex now gets the nod. Until the PD proves its merit. And FWIW, the PD is priced at 289 [aluminum] and 479 [carbon fiber] on Kickstarter.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    I just bought a P0 (package is on it's way).
    I have researching about quick release mounts... I'm indecisive which one should i get... hope you can help me.

I could go directly for the RRS B2-LR-II... but, has anyone tryed the NOVOFLEX Q=BASE II on the P0 Monoball?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

So inspired by the great Thomas Heaton of YouTube fame, I've assembled my own version of the perfect travel tripod head. It's not as light as it could have been but I'm satisfied and in comparison to my Linhof 3D Micro, it's already much less bulky.

The idea is that I can level the pano rotating part with the L60 below and then tilt the upper part (RRS MH-02) to reach the final composition. I say "landscape" head specifically as I have encountered many situations where I would have liked shoot a panoramic image with the camera (XF) tilted slightly up or down and with the P0 Hybrid I wasn't able to achieve that motion.

However when I'm using the tech-cam, this is not an issue because the camera just needs to be perfectly level and I'll fine-tune the framing using rise and fall of the front, so in that case I can use the P0 Hybrid or even just the L60 if I really want to go light.

Anyway, yet to test it out in the field, but I'm already looking forward!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02484 New RRS MH-02 & Arca Swiss L60 - 20-Jun-2019 Small.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	208.1 KB 
ID:	142421

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02490 New RRS MH-02 & Arca Swiss L60 - 20-Jun-2019 Square Small.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	848.4 KB 
ID:	142422
    Binbin

f/13 photography
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Is your arca swiss d4 review still around? Link didn't work...am curious.

Thanks! Andy

Quote Originally Posted by torger View Post
    For my Linhof Techno I use a Gitzo 3541XLS (discontinued, the replacement is called 3542XLS) and a Arca-Swiss D4 head. For me this is the ultimate combination.

The special feature of the Gitzo 3542XLS is the length, 2 meters (80 inches) max height. I can't imagine having a shorter tripod as my shooting style often benefits from a slightly higher position, and with sloping ground I often need the height even if I'm not standing on something. The drawback is it's quite long folded size and weight. As a result I generally don't carry it on the backpack, but over my shoulders. With full camping gear when I have a huge backpack with proper carry system I can put it on the backpack though.

Having no center column it's a pain to use for closeup photography, but I do very little of that so I can live with that.

I went for the Arca-Swiss D4 geared head instead of the Arca-Swiss cube. It's lighter and it's quicker due to unlocking action (which I do use from time to time), so I prefer that. The drawback is that it's a bit "jerkier" in the movements when turning the gears but it poses no real problem for composition, and it's rock-stable so to me it's the best tradeoff I could find. Here's my review of the D4 head: Arca-Swiss D4 review

I'm a bit boring for this type of thread though as I really only use one tripod and one head and have used the same over several years.

Post Thanks / Like

Well this will be very subjective: I have both, but use the Cube most of the time. I've had the Cube for years, but got the D4 ~4 years ago because I wanted a geared head that was a bit lighter so I could take it into the mountains. I believe a geared head is a must if you have a DB without good live view. Now that I have live view, I can use a ball head like the P0 or RRS B40 without driving myself crazy.

So in my opinion, if you have a CMOS camera with live view, I would get a Cube and a small ball head (maybe the P0) and forget the D4. Use the cube unless you have to go light. If you do not have CMOS live view, then I would get the D4 and use it for everything.

I'm actually considering selling my D4 because I just don't use it much anymore. But it is hard to give up such a nice tool!

Dave

Edit: I guess I'm not even sure the D4 is lighter! But it seems lighter...
    If you do sell your D4, please let me know what you are looking to get for it... Andy

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, my turn to add an interesting tripod.

Here is my dilemma: how do you travel light, but also take support? I am trying to get a kit together for the business trips I take. The tripod has been the hardest part of this. I have a small Gitzo that I have taken mountain climbing and been great, but it is still about 1.3 kg and relatively long. Tabletop tripods come it two flavors, those that have three fixed legs and a simple head, but get you no more height than a few inches, think Manfrotto, or something like a Gorilla pod that states the flexible legs can attach to anything like tree branches, only to find out the places you go either have no trees or they are grown in the wrong places. I think I have just found a really nice solution: Oben CTT-1000 carbon fiber tabletop tripod.

The tripod is about 500g in total and folds to 10 inches. The legs and extension are carbon fiber and the fitting metal. The main tripod gets to a height of 15 inches and the included extension/center column adds an additional 12 inches. Certainly not perfect. Certainly not something for an RB67. But, with smaller cameras, it is a nice option--it is rated to 11lb/5kg. I was going to change the head, but was pleasantly surprised.

The extension is pictured below the tripod. I think this would be a very interesting tripod for macro as well.

Oh, and it is just shy of $100. (And when was the last time you saw something in Dante's forum that was 100 bucks except a custom soft release!)
    Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The smallest and lightest I have are the tiniest legs from Novoflex. 30cm long folded means they can be inside most bags. The head is 9cm if you don't need to unscrew the legs. It extends to a whopping 110 cm.

Add the featherlight Canon 50/1.4 with lots of character and I have a superlight and small camera with support.

And I guess most would think that the lens would be just a gimmick on that body, but it has surprised a few people. I adjust vignetting in raw and crop by default 10% of the frame, what remains has character and can without a doubt be used. This one is wide open.

Alpa 12 Plus TC | Schneider 90N | Schneider 120N | Hasselblad X1D | XCD 21 | XCD 45 | XCD 90 | www.danlindberg.com
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My travel tripod is a (NLA) Benro 0681T that I've modified a bit to save weight. I also replaced the ballhead that came with it with a miniature geared tripod I assembled from a pair of 25mm, aluminum-bodied goniometers and a rotational stage made by Melles Griot (and alas, NLA).

It's compact enough to fit easily in my Hartmann messenger bag, extends tall enough that I can photograph with my camera at eye level (and I'm 6'1" tall), rigid and stable enough to support my Sony RX1 for the long-exposure, nighttime photography I like to do, and weighs just under two pounds:

I don't know why it was discontinued (but I do that its official replacement is significantly heavier) but used ones turn up on eBay every so often. Unfortunately, the "mini-Cube" geared head is strictly a DIY thing and would be difficult to exactly duplicate today because all the bits I used are very much unobtanium. But it shouldn't be difficult to assemble a functional replica and if you hate using a ballhead as much as I do, it's an option to consider...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dan and Audii, thanks for your posts. Probably like yourselves, I have a, well several, tripods for when I am committed to a shoot. That travel solution has been the hardest where you would like to take a tripod, but not commit to its weight and size (mostly because I am packing so much other stuff). What I also found was tripods with center columns were the most compact for the height--case in point, my old Gitzo Totolux which can extend to almost eye level but collapse to 37 cm. However, on my journey to figure out a good solution for my situation, I came across tripod extensions to give a tripod more height, especially for tripods with no center column. Sunwayfoto makes two carbon fiber extension for either 12 inches or 16 inches. Cheap and light. For those interested, here is the link to the B&H page and there are buttons to switch between the two models if you want to check out specs.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...extension.html
    Will

Post Thanks / Like

Travel is the hardest: either bite the bullet and take a real Gitzo (pick your size) or if smaller, take your chances. One option is the MeFoto small CF tripod, with built in center column and bollhead. Nothing too awesome, but its 16 ", a bit thick when folded. If you don't use the last of the leg extensions (it has 4 short ones), its reasonably steady, and will hold a MF camera. Although sometimes it helps to rest your hand on it!

Minimizing the length matters - once in a jungle I borrowed a Manfroto monopod which had little tripod extensions at the bottom - about 6" long. Using long delay, mirror lockup and a leaf shutter, and keeping it only 3' high, was able to shoot up to 8" sharp!

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In the spirit of thecentercolumn.com, I've been measuring the stiffness of various tripod, leg, and head combinations. My methodology is to put a camera with a big lens (SL+90-280) on top, put an accelerometer on the lens (iPhone), and give it a whack. This extremely sophisticated test rig gives pretty repeatable results. The question is: what's important? For instance, the Gitzo 3 series is barely less stiff than a similar Novoflex, but it damps vibration much faster. Oddly, the large Novoflex doesn't seem as great at either stiffness or damping, but it can double as a jack stand for auto repair.

Plenty more to try...

Matt
    mattgraysonphoto.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    In the spirit of thecentercolumn.com, I've been measuring the stiffness of various tripod, leg, and head combinations. My methodology is to put a camera with a big lens (SL+90-280) on top, put an accelerometer on the lens (iPhone), and give it a whack. This extremely sophisticated test rig gives pretty repeatable results. The question is: what's important? For instance, the Gitzo 3 series is barely less stiff than a similar Novoflex, but it damps vibration much faster. Oddly, the large Novoflex doesn't seem as great at either stiffness or damping, but it can double as a jack stand for auto repair.

Plenty more to try...

Matt
    But what are the actual forces on a tripod--they aren't guardrails. Is hitting a leg representing the forces a tripod is designed to counter? I wonder if trying a strong fan would be a better vector with which to measure stability. Wind is fairly consistent and evenly distributed. Perhaps designing a structure in place of the camera to test drag would be useful as well as a baffle to stop and start the wind from the fan to simulate gusts.

Interesting project Matt. I took a Gitzo Totolux with 4-section legs to support a Mamiya 6 in the mountains (3,000m) and extended its rather long center column. It was quite stable in spite of its looks. I since replaced it with a CF Manfrotto. But none of my tripods are resistant to flex if I apply force, but all give sharp long exposures.

There is a mystery here...
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    But what are the actual forces on a tripod--they aren't guardrails. Is hitting a leg representing the forces a tripod is designed to counter? I wonder if trying a strong fan would be a better vector with which to measure stability. Wind is fairly consistent and evenly distributed. Perhaps designing a structure in place of the camera to test drag would be useful as well as a baffle to stop and start the wind from the fan to simulate gusts.

Interesting project Matt. I took a Gitzo Totolux with 4-section legs to support a Mamiya 6 in the mountains (3,000m) and extended its rather long center column. It was quite stable in spite of its looks. I since replaced it with a CF Manfrotto. But none of my tripods are resistant to flex if I apply force, but all give sharp long exposures.

There is a mystery here...
    I think the testers care about wind on the camera (well, lens) itself. The point is to watch the vibration after an impact. I hit the lens sideways. The vibration looks like an exponentially decaying sine curve. The frequency tells you stiffness (torsion spring constant) and the decay rate, damping. No, I don’t know how to interpret the results. sometimes resonance at higher frequencies shows up.

M
    Last edited by MGrayson; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:40.
    mattgraysonphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

I think the testers care about wind on the camera (well, lens) itself. The point is to watch the vibration after an impact. I hit the lens sideways. The vibration will be an exponentially decaying sine curve. The frequency tells you stiffness (torsion spring constant) and the decay rate damping. No, I dont know how to interpret the results. sometimes resonance at higher frequencies shows up.

M
    The pure damped sinusoid only occurs in second-order linear systems. The behavior of an actual camera on a tripod is more complex than that. Even in a such a system, the frequency is not solely dependent on the stiffness; the mass is equally important.

Here's a look at the second-order linear system approximation:

https://blog.kasson.com/the-last-wor...ation-control/

https://blog.kasson.com/the-last-wor...ontrol-part-2/

https://blog.kasson.com/the-last-wor...ontrol-part-3/

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JimKasson View Post
    The pure damped sinusoid only occurs in second-order linear systems. The behavior of an actual camera on a tripod is more complex than that. Even in a such a system, the frequency is not solely dependent on the stiffness; the mass is equally important.

Here's a look at the second-order linear system approximation:

https://blog.kasson.com/the-last-wor...ation-control/

https://blog.kasson.com/the-last-wor...ontrol-part-2/

https://blog.kasson.com/the-last-wor...ontrol-part-3/

Jim
    Jim,

We're getting off on the wrong foot here. My background is in nonlinear PDE. I'm talking about silly experiments one can do with almost no extra equipment, and observing that certain properties of the system can be measured. Of COURSE it's an approximation, and possibly not even relevant to real world usage. Of COURSE frequency depends on mass (I was using the same camera in each measurement). The idea was for anyone with an engineering or physics background to find it funny. Not as a challenge to real engineers.

Now if you'd like to comment on the techniques and results published at thecentercolumn.com, I'd be very interested in your opinion. They *do* some actual experiments taking photos in wind, but their ranking of tripods is based on an odd formula.

Best,

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

The idea was for anyone with an engineering or physics background to find it funny.
    Sorry, that went over my head.
    Last edited by JimKasson; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:28.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JimKasson View Post
    Sony, that went over my head.
    Then I can only apologize for my poor sense of humor. Thank you for the links to your work, BTW.

Best,

Matt
    mattgraysonphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

My background is in nonlinear PDE.
    You're a mathematician? My hat's off to you. I took (linear) partial differential equations at Stanford when I was an undergrad. Never used it afterwards. Should have taken linear algebra instead, the lack of which I really felt when I became a color scientist, but I was a physics major at the time (graduated in EE), and it was a requirement.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"The idea was for anyone with an engineering or physics background to find it funny?"

What! People with an engineering or physics background find things funny?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    "The idea was for anyone with an engineering or physics background to find it funny?"

What! People with an engineering or physics background find things funny?
    https://interestingengineering.com/2...our-day-better

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, this is getting , but I'm rather fond of:
    There's a fire in the hotel.
    The Engineer fills a bucket with water and puts the fire out.
    The Physicist lights a match, holds it under the faucet. Says "Ahah!" Fills a bucket with water, puts the fire out.
    The Mathematician turns on the faucet. Says "A solution exists." Turns off the water and goes back to bed.
    mattgraysonphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone tried Phases new frame averaging feature? Im playing with it and finding that, because it takes a lot of frames over a long period (Ive been doing 240 exposures over 2 minutes but it can be a lot more or fewer) and Ive found that yet again, I need a better tripod. Im mainly using an IQ4 150 on an Alpa STC with an Alpa/Rodi 42mm lens but the rig would also need to be good with an XF and up to 100mm lens. I have a choice of heads including a cube.

Am thinking of a Gitzo GT5533LS or GT5543LS.

Any thoughts as to suitability? First hand experience?

TIA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Has anyone tried Phases new frame averaging feature? Im playing with it and finding that, because it takes a lot of frames over a long period (Ive been doing 240 exposures over 2 minutes but it can be a lot more or fewer) and Ive found that yet again, I need a better tripod. Im mainly using an IQ4 150 on an Alpa STC with an Alpa/Rodi 42mm lens but the rig would also need to be good with an XF and up to 100mm lens. I have a choice of heads including a cube.

TIA
    I did try a 2 minute long (total) exposure on my Gitzo 4552ts (which has very thin bottom sections), RRS levelling bowl and Linhof 3D micro, it wasn't a particularly windy day or anything but I see zero issues as long as you keep the same regime as when shooting normal long exposures.

Actually, I almost always shoot long exposures and so far I've gotten away many times with my 1-series RRS and Arca P0 hybrid, only time I couldn't manage was using the 300mm lens on a very windy lookout, but with a solid Gitzo 3-series or bigger and a cube-equivalent head you should be more than OK.
    Binbin

f/13 photography
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It never hurts to have a 5 series Gitzo, I have the giant one and it is fantastic, but not a tripod I would be keen on taking out on the field for a long hike. The Buzrzynski head adds some heft to it too.

If you are planning on walking a lot with it a 4 series like Beano suggests should suffice. I also had 3541XLS and found it more than adequate, lighter and easier to transport. I used it with a Wimberley gimbal and a Nikon 400 2.8 and it had no issues supporting that combo.

I am replacing the 3541XLS with a GT4553S which will be my travel tripod, as it measures only 18.9" when folded and I don't need a crazy tall one, it is only 53.5" tall, but a good compromise IMHO.

Cheers,

Rodrigo

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post

TIA

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if this is the place to ask but it seems appropriate. Have just bought a 2nd hand Arca Swiss D4 and unboxed it this morning before heading out the door for a week of work.

Had never seen one in person before so was really impressed with its compactness and build quality, loved the dampening of the 2 panning movements top and bottom. However the forward/back gearing was very stiff compared to the left/right gearing, the left/right being about perfect. The forward/back though Id really like to change to be easier to operate, is there a way to do this? Maybe it needs a touch more lubrication or can be adjusted internally?

I did see there is a small round plastic cap inline with the f/b gearing knob which I guess can be pryed open. Just wanted to see if anyone here has had the same issue or has tried to adjust the D4.

Also being a 2nd hand sale it never came with an instruction manual, not sure I really need it to operate the head but thought it may have some information regarding maintenance or adjusting friction of gears. Cant find anywhere online with a downloadable manual, if anyone can share any key info I should know about the D4 then please do.

Thanks already, the D4 looks great sitting on my Feisol CT-3372LV and looking forward to getting out into the fried and using it, cheers Shaun.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Check with your AS rep. In the US, www.rodklukas.com

Precision Camera is the authorized repair center in the US. Just got some replacement rubber for my AS Cube knobs

Post Thanks / Like

Is this the geared D4 version? If so, it has two knobs for each function. One is for the actual movement and the other is for the resistance. Sorry if I misunderstand your question.