Site Sponsors
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: The great tripod & head thread!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The great tripod & head thread!

Thanks and yes it is the geared version. I’d imagine the gearing would free up a bit with a heavy camera mounted above, which I didn’t do, but still seemed difficult to operate the f/b movement.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there,

I am currently looking to get a (more) solid tripod head for my long tele lenses. I currently use a Linhof Profi Ballhead II which served me well.

Now, with a Hasselblad 350mm lens (with teleconverter), I need to have something more stable, and I'm thinking of the following two tripod heads because they are available for a reasonable price: the Novoflex Classic Ball 5 II or the Arca Swiss Z1+. Does anyone have experience with these tripod heads with long lenses? The Arca ballhead is more lightweight which is of course a nice feature since I hike.

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Has anyone tried Phase’s new frame averaging feature? I’m playing with it and finding that, because it takes a lot of frames over a long period (I’ve been doing 240 exposures over 2 minutes but it can be a lot more or fewer) and I’ve found that yet again, I need a better tripod. I’m mainly using an IQ4 150 on an Alpa STC with an Alpa/Rodi 42mm lens but the rig would also need to be good with an XF and up to 100mm lens. I have a choice of heads including a cube.

Am thinking of a Gitzo GT5533LS or GT5543LS.

Any thoughts as to suitability? First hand experience?

TIA
    Not sure if this is too late, but I recently wound up in the same situation. I have been using a TVC-33 and BH55 for ages. They are superb, and I still think they are great. But recently I started shooting 8x10 and it seemed like there were less than ideal amounts of vibration in the camera, especially here in Iceland with the wind. I read a bunch of threads at the large format photography forum and the consensus was that nothing beats wood. I ordered a Ries tripod and head setup, and I am pretty shocked at how much more stable and dead it is than the carbon fiber. The mounting process is slow and I am not a big fan of the knobs, but once it is set, it is remarkably stable. Part of it is having the very large mounting surface. I also tried mounting a RRS quick release plate on top of their head and working that way, but it was dramatically less stable than mounting the two large, flat surfaces. For smaller cameras, a RRS plate might be good, but for large, heavy cameras, I think there is not much substitute for a larger mounting surface and then screwing those two surfaces together. I have tried to upload a picture, but for some reason the attachment is failing to upload. You will have to take my word for it!

P.S. Also looking at some of these setups, I am surprised at how tall people are making their camera attachments...having leveling platforms on top of heads on top of mounting plates etc. The closer your camera is to the apex of the legs, the more stable it is...you don't want it teetering up in the air 10 inches above the legs...it is a recipe for instability.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll bet your image size is too big. Post an image of your Ries wooden tripod set up, Stuart. I'd like to see it!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ken,
    You are indeed correct. The dimensions were fine, but the file was too large. Here it is. It is with their J100-2 legs and J200 head. The camera is a Chamonix 8x10.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1000630.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	742.9 KB 
ID:	143452
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anyone View Post
    Hi there,

I am currently looking to get a (more) solid tripod head for my long tele lenses. I currently use a Linhof Profi Ballhead II which served me well.

Now, with a Hasselblad 350mm lens (with teleconverter), I need to have something more stable, and I'm thinking of the following two tripod heads because they are available for a reasonable price: the Novoflex Classic Ball 5 II or the Arca Swiss Z1+. Does anyone have experience with these tripod heads with long lenses? The Arca ballhead is more lightweight which is of course a nice feature since I hike.

Thank you!
    I have the Arca B1 which does a great job in combination with my Mamiya 350 APO and a 1.4 TC. A Z1 should be fine.

Regards,
    Jaap.

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Jürgen,

May I know where to order the two Suguga Seiki geared head? Looks amazing!!

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    Now finally I made it , an image of my GONIOMETER GANG . The absolute king is in the background . The king is dead ? Long live the king .
    Nothing , but nothing can beat the CUBE .

Attachment 137386

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The company is Suruga Seiki Co Ltd. You can find their products here - they will be able to tell you where to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by haihan View Post
    Dear Jürgen,

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Pelorus, Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Pelorus View Post
    The company is Suruga Seiki Co Ltd. You can find their products here - they will be able to tell you where to buy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by haihan View Post
    Dear Jürgen,

haihan

Please be aware , that the goniometers from SUGUGA SEIKI are precision instruments and rather expensive . No matter where you live .
    They are made of solid brass and rather heavy .
    I got my two gonimeters through E-BAY at a rather low price and was happy to get a matching pair .
    You might be lucky and find a pair , but i think , patience is required .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using the Arca Swiss P0Hybrid Mono Ball Head in conjunction with a set of Novoflex carbon fiber legs for over 6 months. The set-up is ideal with respect to weight, working height and stability. My only problem has been with the two gear controls on the Hybrid. The shafts that operate the gears are extremely small in diameter and can be bent it the tripod is carelessly transported in a car trunk. I have discovered that the soft tripod case that I usually use does not provided adequate protection for the Arca Swiss Hybrid. I solved the problem by finding a hard shell lens case that fits snuggly over the hybrid head and protects the gear controls. I have also discovered that the gear control knobs are locked in place with tiny hex head set screws which tend to loosen with use. Although replacement knobs are available for around $18, I invested in a 1.5mm hex wrench for $1 and have taped it to the tripod leg for field use.

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi All,

My two heaviest tripods are the Gitzo 3543XLS (or recent ancestor - I almost always use it with three of its four sections extended. The fourth section comes in handy sometimes. It weighs 5 pounds.) And the Novoflex Pro-75. This is built like a Gitzo 5 or RRS 4, weighs over 7 lbs and feels like you could use it as a jack stand for auto repair.

Puzzle: In use, the Gitzo is always slightly better. The bigger, heavier Novy is more prone to vibration and impact. I haven't found a single use case where it has matched or improved on the Gitzo. (Both used with the Cube.)

So why? Is it possible that the Novy comes into its own when 50 lbs of gear are on top? I confess that I got the Novy from sheer "oooh! shiny!" (and Dan Lindberg's praise). It's a gorgeous piece of workmanship, but it's not like I've ever felt that the Gitzo wasn't enough.

This isn't a major problem, as the TrioBal with L60 has served almost as well, and is two pounds lighter than the Gitzo. It's just a puzzle.

Thanks,

Matt

PS. A second question. The 5-section Novy travel legs are really too flimsy for the GFX100. Would any of you consider a Gitzo 1-series Traveler or RRS TQC-14 stable enough? Or is ~3 pounds about as low as one can get away with?
    Last edited by MGrayson; 26th October 2019 at 04:48.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    This isn't a major problem, as the TrioBal with L60 has served almost as well, and is two pounds lighter than the Gitzo. It's just a puzzle.
    The diameter of the yoke (?) were the legs meet is probably larger on the Gitzo. I suspect that adds stability. The Novaflex seem to be very small. That makes for a very attractive design, but may have other implications.
    Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    The diameter of the yoke (?) were the legs meet is probably larger on the Gitzo. I suspect that adds stability. The Novaflex seem to be very small. That makes for a very attractive design, but may have other implications.
    The TrioBal (on the left) has the sleek, but small-yoked design. The Pro-75 (center) is about the same size as the Gitzo (right), but perhaps its design is not as rigid? The Gitzo legs also have a wider opening angle at its first stop - not sure how that affects things.

The Pro-75 leg attachments allow the legs to invert, so that the camera can hang from the bottom of the tripod and get very low. It's a great feature, but it may prevent rigidity at the attachment points.

Matt
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotophil View Post
    I have been using the Arca Swiss P0Hybrid Mono Ball Head in conjunction with a set of Novoflex carbon fiber legs for over 6 months. The set-up is ideal with respect to weight, working height and stability. My only problem has been with the two gear controls on the Hybrid. The shafts that operate the gears are extremely small in diameter and can be bent it the tripod is carelessly transported in a car trunk. I have discovered that the soft tripod case that I usually use does not provided adequate protection for the Arca Swiss Hybrid. I solved the problem by finding a hard shell lens case that fits snuggly over the hybrid head and protects the gear controls. I have also discovered that the gear control knobs are locked in place with tiny hex head set screws which tend to loosen with use. Although replacement knobs are available for around $18, I invested in a 1.5mm hex wrench for $1 and have taped it to the tripod leg for field use.
    Very nice idea of taping the 1.5mm hex wrench to the tripod leg. I have lost and found the knobs twice in the field. They have a propensity to loosen up and fall off. I have considered just gluing them on permanently.

Post Thanks / Like

The TrioBal (on the left) has the sleek, but small-yoked design. The Pro-75 (center) is about the same size as the Gitzo (right), but perhaps its design is not as rigid? The Gitzo legs also have a wider opening angle at its first stop - not sure how that affects things.

The Pro-75 leg attachments allow the legs to invert, so that the camera can hang from the bottom of the tripod and get very low. It's a great feature, but it may prevent rigidity at the attachment points.

Matt
    My bet is that the triangular reinforcement around the yoke of the Gitzo gives it more torsional rigidity and prevents the tripod from twisting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sog1927 View Post
    My bet is that the triangular reinforcement around the yoke of the Gitzo gives it more torsional rigidity and prevents the tripod from twisting.
    My problem with the Novoflex tripods is there bad leg angle... they could be much more stable with a better angle.
    Christopher Hauser
    http://www.chauser.eu
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    My problem with the Novoflex tripods is there bad leg angle... they could be much more stable with a better angle.
    Completely agree. I love the modularity of the Novoflex line—and especially the integration of leveling into the platform itself—and I have several of them, but the legs are too "steep." I'd trade an inch or two of height for a slightly wider base.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I was at the Peak Design showcase store in SF on Saturday and had a good bit of time to play with their new travel tripod, and compare the carbon and aluminum versions too. (They're just at the beginning of shipping on the Kickstarter, said some folks might even receive theirs this week.)

Overall, I'm impressed with the design. For a lightweight travel tripod that also achieve full standard tripod height, it is very compact when folded and quite sturdy when the legs are fully extended and the center column raised just enough to give the integrated ball head full motion access.

I had my Hasselblad 500CM with A12 back, WL finder, and Distagon 50mm lens with me, which is also fitted semi-permanently with an Arca-Swiss type tripod adapter foot .. a 4lb, 4oz camera setup. Even with the (removable) guard pegs still in place, it clicked right into the PD quick release clamp and was utterly secure when the latch was locked. The tripod at full extension that way is just a little too tall for me to see down into the viewfinder without standing on my toes and peering over the edge of the shade. Should be just fine for most uses that I'll put it to.

The legs deploy and fold quickly and securely, everything is easily disassembled and reassembled for cleaning. All the knobs and such are easy to get to and comfortable in use. PD has made the commitment that they will carry every part as a spare in case of damage or loss. Then universal head adapter changes in and out quickly and easily so I can switch to that and use the Arca-Swiss Monoball P0 or P0 Hybrid on it easily too, when I need a little more elevation and/or the pan capability.

I would say that as a set of legs it is about as sturdy and useful as my compact Manfrotto 019 CF3pro 3-section legs while being more compact and a touch lighter. The integrated head makes the whole tripod much more compact, easier to pack and travel with. The aluminum legs are only a small amount heavier than the carbon; the carbon have the additional advantage of not getting as cold to the touch if you're out on a freezing day...

For the light to medium duty use I have in mind, I am now fully jazzed to receive mine and start putting it through its paces...

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have been looking for a travel tripod as well. I have been spending time over at a site called the Center Column. It should be a must read for anyone making choices. It certainly has answered an number of questions for me:

Aluminum or carbon fiber: https://thecentercolumn.com/2018/06/...minum-tripods/

Tripod weight ratings: https://thecentercolumn.com/2019/10/...e-meaningless/

And does hanging weight on your tripod make a difference: https://thecentercolumn.com/2018/02/...nd-damping-vs/

That last one saved me $30 for a hook.

I actually received a Gitzo Traveler 1545 in the mail today. It checked a lot of boxes for me, although the PD was very tempting--its weight is what tipped me toward the Gitzo.
    Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been looking for a travel tripod as well. I have been spending time over at a site called the Center Column. It should be a must read for anyone making choices. It certainly has answered an number of questions for me:

And does hanging weight on your tripod make a difference: https://thecentercolumn.com/2018/02/...nd-damping-vs/

I actually received a Gitzo Traveler 1545 in the mail today. It checked a lot of boxes for me, although the PD was very tempting--its weight is what tipped me toward the Gitzo.
    Yes, I've spent time on David's site too. I'm happy to say that, while I've never measured anything and quantified as he has, his results are very much in line with what I have surmised from use in the field and in tabletop work with various tripods over the years.

The Gitzo Traveler 1545 is a good set of legs, based on the time I spent looking at them in the only still-extant brick&mortar shop in my neighborhood. I'm not sure about the weight or size comparisons once I fit one of my A-S P0 heads, which is where the PD tripod seems to have an advantage with the integrated head. But the twist-lock legs are appealing too ... eh? Nothing's perfect, I have three sets of legs already that all work well enough, wanted something tidier and more compact to toss in the travel bag, and found the tidy little Sirui T-025x to be a little too light and limited to be worth carrying other than for the cell phone. The PDTT, based on what I found playing with it, will do me fine. I'm sure the Gitzo Traveler will do you well too!

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like

I believe I found this site courtesy of the PD folks; it is very educational. I was an early backer of the new PD tripod, even though it did not tick all my traditional boxes, because it got me thinking about them differently. I've got a small/tiny Novoflex, Rollei, and RRS, each of which has its pros and cons. I am hoping the PD is the Goldilocks of these, and am eagerly awaiting delivery of mine, because there are times when the compromise choices they made seem to make sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I, too, have the PD on order. I played with one at the Photo Expo. It will have a hard time competing with the RRS 1 series with the BH-30 head.

We'll see. Oh, RRS displayed a 1 series with a thin triangular center column so it would fold up into a thinner package like the PD (available next year). I guess it's an idea whose time has come.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I, too, have the PD on order. I played with one at the Photo Expo. It will have a hard time competing with the RRS 1 series with the BH-30 head.

We'll see. Oh, RRS displayed a 1 series with a thin triangular center column so it would fold up into a thinner package like the PD (available next year). I guess it's an idea whose time has come.

Matt

Speaking of tripods and heads - the Arca L75 Heads have actually begun shipping early! We got our first shipment today.

Bravo Arca!

Steve Hendrix/CI

Name:	IMG_6585 1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	256.3 KB 
ID:	145621
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Authorized Reseller Digital Cam: • Phase One | Fuji | Leica | Hasselblad •
    Authorized Reseller TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar •
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I'm not sure about the weight or size comparisons once I fit one of my A-S P0 heads, which is where the PD tripod seems to have an advantage with the integrated head.
    You are right, the head needs to be factored in. My P0 is staying on my other carbon fiber I use with my Pentax 645D. I went with a generic compact head for the Gitzo and have the weight down to 1.195kg and can shave another 80g or so off by using the short center column (not sure what the weight is in pounds, but it should be the same ). The PD carbon is 1.270kg, so just a bit heavier. The PD was in the running as it does pack down smaller. I guess the only thing that did make me hesitant was the flat leg profile of the PD and whether that would create more instability in the wind.

(And yes, I climbed/hiked mountains and so I am obsessed with the grams. And that goes for everything in my bag, hence my move to Fuji X-series cameras. And best of all, my wallet is lighter too! (Although I did get a really good deal on the Gitzo))

Nothing's perfect...
    Thank God! What would we buy if it was?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    Speaking of tripods and heads - the Arca L75 Heads have actually begun shipping early! We got our first shipment today.

Bravo Arca!

Steve Hendrix/CI
    Excellent! Looking forward to getting my hands on mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Lately I purchased this gear head for about 900RMB (less than 130USD).

I think the version one is a knock off from the D4 Arca. This one I don't know where it is from, but It has some 'perceived' improvement, namely the gear is rigid and you cannot move it at all except with the gear (this might be the breaking point as if the weight/tension/bending exceed the tolerance, it will snap the gear spur and broke the device). I am sure some people, myself included had complain slightly on the D4 type of implementation with a torsion screw to tighten the gear movement. This will sometimes come loose particularly under heavy load, and your gear will kind of switch position when you lean it or something. Well, this fix it, but I can see potential catastrophic failure. The weight limit is 4kg. Kind of small too, maybe in anticipation for this weak point.

Anyway, I am using it to shoot Chamonix 4x5, a very light setup.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

There are times to skimp. But with an IQ4150 and either a heavy Phase XF body or a technical camera with expensive lens attached----this ain't one of those times. 4Kg capacity? Uh, not for me. Might be okay for much lighter gear as noted.

There's a new geared head also recently released by Rogeti. See, https://rogeti.com/

Nice to see more options for geared heads!

I'm looking forward to getting the AS family together: The Cube, Mini-Cube L75, and baby cube L60.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I mainly use various Gitzo but if I want / need stable this one comes out ...

Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My Collection just grew again.

Name:	AAEAE0D9-2702-48FF-913D-8CCBE60EB146.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	146059
    Christopher Hauser
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

Not sure if this is the right place to put my question, but i'll give it a try:

I have the Gitzo GT4543LS tripod and i am very happy with it. I am now looking into a leveling base and the Gitzo base may be an option. However i would like to look into other options. Does anyone know of a leveling base that will fit this tripod??. I am looking at something that will sit low on the base to maintain stability. I allready have a Sirui LE60 and that is not the type i am looking for. Would also help if it was cheaper than the Gitzo!!

Thank you
    Per J.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You might have a look to the NOVOFLEX MBAL PRO75 . Its diameter is 75mm , good enough for the new ARCA SWISS CORE LEVELER 75 .
    I have both these items on order .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I think the TRBU75 will fit with the 75mm adapter.
    This leveling base looks verry compact.
    Grüsse Henry
    klickR

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

At the other end of the spectrum, I received a Peak Designs tripod through their kickstarter campaign. It is VERY compact folded up, making the RRS TFC-14 look large by comparison. With the BH-30 head on the latter, they are close to the same weight (nod to the PD). Stability, however is not remotely close. Even with the center column all the way down, the PD wobbles and vibrates with half the damping factor of the RRS, i.e., the image shakes for twice as long after a disturbance. With the GFX100 at 200mm, the difference was visible on a 3 second *indoor* exposure.

The PD is loaded with clever features. It's a great design...except for holding the camera steady.

Matt
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

At the other end of the spectrum, I received a Peak Designs tripod through their kickstarter campaign. It is VERY compact folded up, making the RRS TFC-14 look large by comparison. With the BH-30 head on the latter, they are close to the same weight (nod to the PD). Stability, however is not remotely close. Even with the center column all the way down, the PD wobbles and vibrates with half the damping factor of the RRS, i.e., the image shakes for twice as long after a disturbance. With the GFX100 at 200mm, the difference was visible on a 3 second *indoor* exposure.

The PD is loaded with clever features. It's a great design...except for holding the camera steady.

Matt
    Alas, form over function.

Post Thanks / Like

After owning many carbon fiber tripods, I'm coming around to thinking that wood is the best vibration damper.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I mainly use various Gitzo but if I want / need stable this one comes out ...

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Ries tripod also; solid, but so heavy. I find myself always taking the Gitzo, which I believe is as stable, but much lighter overall.

Quote Originally Posted by photopixes View Post
    After owning many carbon fiber tripods, I'm coming around to thinking that wood is the best vibration damper.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. Most of the time I reach for one of my carbon fiber Gitzos because of weight. However, when I do long exposure work, I invariably reach for the Ries.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothjazz View Post
    I have a Ries tripod also; solid, but so heavy. I find myself always taking the Gitzo, which I believe is as stable, but much lighter overall.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using a Gitzo GT5562LTS.
    Most of the time I attached the legst to a Markins TH-500

Name:	IMG_20181209_193933_compress16.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	918.0 KB 
ID:	146232

Here a behind the scene and photo with that tripod conbination same beach.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190912_115226_compress16.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	491.8 KB 
ID:	146233   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1577002605769.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	261.9 KB 
ID:	146234  
    Last edited by W124; 22nd December 2019 at 00:25.
    Grüsse Henry
    klickR
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to see someone is further down the geared head collection than I am.

One thing that frustrates me about the arca geared heads is they don't seem to understand that the real panoramic rotation is at the bottom not the top. No markings or indents for the bottom rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    My Collection just grew again.

Name:	AAEAE0D9-2702-48FF-913D-8CCBE60EB146.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	146059
    Ed Cooley

Visit My Website

Post Thanks / Like

I used the RRS bowl for mine and found it quite effective. Not much difference in price from the Gitzo if I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by MrNikon View Post
    Hello,

Not sure if this is the right place to put my question, but i'll give it a try:

I have the Gitzo GT4543LS tripod and i am very happy with it. I am now looking into a leveling base and the Gitzo base may be an option. However i would like to look into other options. Does anyone know of a leveling base that will fit this tripod??. I am looking at something that will sit low on the base to maintain stability. I allready have a Sirui LE60 and that is not the type i am looking for. Would also help if it was cheaper than the Gitzo!!

Thank you
    Per J.
    Ed Cooley

Visit My Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    You might have a look to the NOVOFLEX MBAL PRO75 . Its diameter is 75mm , good enough for the new ARCA SWISS CORE LEVELER 75 .
    I have both these items on order .
    Alas, the Novy leveling base for the PRO75 does NOT work in a large Gitzo tripod. The Novy base has a locking lever that sticks out the side and it has to line up with the hole in the PRO75 spider. I got the short handle RRS leveling base for the Gitzo. It is a great match with the Arca 75 leveler!

Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And that they don’t get that it would be great to have a centered Arca clamp and not having to replace it.

All in all that’s why there is the novoflex head.

Quote Originally Posted by etrump View Post
    Nice to see someone is further down the geared head collection than I am.

One thing that frustrates me about the arca geared heads is they don't seem to understand that the real panoramic rotation is at the bottom not the top. No markings or indents for the bottom rotation.
    Christopher Hauser

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Alas, the Novy leveling base for the PRO75 does NOT work in a large Gitzo tripod. The Novy base has a locking lever that sticks out the side and it has to line up with the hole in the PRO75 spider. I got the short handle RRS leveling base for the Gitzo. It is a great match with the Arca 75 leveler!

Matt
    Yes , the M-BAL PRO 75 does not work in a large GITZO tripod .
    But it absolutely works perfect on top of a GITZO tripod even , when the locking lever sticks out the side .
    I use the M-BAL PRO 75 with the ARCA SWISS CORE LEVELER 75 on top of my GITZO 3543XLS .
    I have no trouble with that combination .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by W124 View Post
    I'm using a Gitzo GT5562LTS.
    Most of the time I attached the legst to a Markins TH-500

Name:	IMG_20181209_193933_compress16.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	918.0 KB 
ID:	146232

Here a behind the scene and photo with that tripod conbination same beach.
    I wish they still made the TH-500. Been trying to find one got my Gitzo giant for a while without any luck so far.

Post Thanks / Like

I got this one new from a dealer in Hong Kong.

https://www.howenint.com/products/th-500
    Grüsse Henry
    klickR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by W124 View Post
    I got this one new from a dealer in Hong Kong.

https://www.howenint.com/products/th-500
    Seems to be in stock, I just ordered one. Thanks for the link!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mexecutioner View Post
    Seems to be in stock, I just ordered one. Thanks for the link!
    Damn, did you get the last one? I get a 404, and don’t see any when searching that site. Been looking for one for a while now myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by akaru View Post
    Damn, did you get the last one? I get a 404, and don’t see any when searching that site. Been looking for one for a while now myself.
    I believe I did. Why don’t you try contacting Markins in Korea, they may have some old stock or demo units.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just got a note from B&H that my Arca Swiss 75 is headed to me. Ordered it Nov 16th and should have it Jan 2nd. No taxes (I paid for it when I ordered it) and no shipping. Just in time for the next trip...
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ