The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great tripod & head thread!

Don Libby

FedEx just left and I now have a "Mini Cube"; and make no mistake, this is a mini cube. I pulled the Graham Welland quick head release off a P0 and after installing it the mini is still shorter than the P0. Every smooth movements and quick and easy to level. Ordered mine with the classic QR which works well with the RRS L-bracket on my GFX50s.

vjbelle

Great to hear some positive feedback. I won't have mine until February but I'm in no hurry. Ordered with the 'FlipLock' which I use on all of my Arca Swiss heads. I have found the classic quick release difficult to use as the knob itself is too small for me and the material on the knob can become slippery which can affect the tightening/un-tightening of the clamp. I have great confidence in the 'FlipLock' even though for some it gets no respect. If Arca Swiss ever changed the knob to match the knob that Acra uses I would be a convert. There's a fair amount of R&D in the Acra knob which is a joy to use.

Victor

Don Libby

Great to hear some positive feedback. I won't have mine until February but I'm in no hurry. Ordered with the 'FlipLock' which I use on all of my Arca Swiss heads. I have found the classic quick release difficult to use as the knob itself is too small for me and the material on the knob can become slippery which can affect the tightening/un-tightening of the clamp. I have great confidence in the 'FlipLock' even though for some it gets no respect. If Arca Swiss ever changed the knob to match the knob that Acra uses I would be a convert. There's a fair amount of R&D in the Acra knob which is a joy to use.

Victor
I wonder if the knob might be replaceable

kdphotography

Arca Swiss really missed a marketing moment (what were they thinking?:loco:) L60? Sorry, I'm calling it the Mini-Cube! And this thing is tiny---smaller in hand than I thought. Almost too small for the RRS TVC-24. Limited geared movements, but not a bad trade-off for size, weight and portability. I'm going to try and use the Mini-Cube without an additional leveling base to keep the total tripod package smaller and lighter.

I've also gone back to the AS FlipLock on my Cube. I don't mind it at all. It would be nice if the screw knob on the Mini-Cube quick release could be better set apart or differentiated from the other knobs.AS Mini Cube! WEB.jpg

_DSF0357 Geared Head Photo WEB.jpg

ken

jng

Looks great! Mine arrives on Monday!

I purchased the classic clamp model as well. I too am a bit concerned that I'll wind up absent-mindedly unscrewing the clamp while trying to adjust the pitch or roll. I caught myself doing this before, which led me to change over to the lever-release clamps from RRS. I'll either learn to pay attention or convert my mini-cube as well.

John

jotloob

Subscriber Member
more information here about L60 here:
https://www.arca-shop.de/de/upgrade-umbau/l60-leveler-fliplock

and here:
http://www.arca-swiss-magasin.com/contents/fr/d99_Nouveautés_Photokina_2016.html

Scroll way down. Also interesting: the Cube with geared panning,
Ahhhhhhhh , yes . Both dealers list the L60 since yesterday although not in stock yet .
I will order mine on Monday and hope that then finally my soul finds the deserved rest .
Sorry for causing a bit of trouble .

kdphotography

:ROTFL:

The Graham Welland tripod quick release system is basically a RRS Dovetail that is attached to the bottom of the tripod head. A RRS lever quick release is placed on top of the tripod legs. This allows you to quickly swap between different tripod heads without fiddling around and looking for the appropriate tools to remove and attach different heads. In Graham's case, this could be very time consuming when your collection of tripod heads exceeds that of many finely stocked camera stores (no joke). And hence, the Graham Welland tripod quick release system was born. :loco:;)

The RRS Dovetail 40 fits the AS Cube. It also fits the new AS Mini-Cube (LS60) perfectly. See, http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/TH-DVTL-40-Round-Dovetail-Plate

Ken

RodK

The Graham Welland tripod quick release system is basically a RRS Dovetail that is attached to the bottom of the tripod head. A RRS lever quick release is placed on top of the tripod legs. This allows you to quickly swap between different tripod heads without fiddling around and looking for the appropriate tools to remove and attach different heads. In Graham's case, this could be very time consuming when your collection of tripod heads exceeds that of many finely stocked camera stores (no joke). And hence, the Graham Welland tripod quick release system was born. :loco:;)

The RRS Dovetail 40 fits the AS Cube. It also fits the new AS Mini-Cube (LS60) perfectly. See, Round Dovetail Plate

Ken
Arca-Swiss also has a similar solution called QuickLink.

It offers quick installation and removal of the tripod head to tripod legs. Always good to protect your investment in a geared head by removing it for travel.

Our QuickLink sets are one receiver base and one tripod head plate. Extra head plates are available separately. QuickLink is similar to a breech lock and very solid. Drop the tripod head into the receiver and twist a ring to lock.

Muench Workshop instructors have been using them since their introduction last spring.

From a post on Instagram:
Instagram

JonMo

Ahhhhhhhh , yes . Both dealers list the L60 since yesterday although not in stock yet .
I will order mine on Monday and hope that then finally my soul finds the deserved rest .
Sorry for causing a bit of trouble .
Since you have been trying to get the dang thing since i talked about it waaayyyy back; You deserve one delivered in short order!
This may be the ONE time that I have run into being able to get product in Canada before Europe or US.

JonMo

The RRS Dovetail 40 fits the AS Cube. It also fits the new AS Mini-Cube (LS60) perfectly. See, http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/TH-DVTL-40-Round-Dovetail-Plate

Ken

Another option is the Novoflex QPL-6x6. Also round and the same diameter as the base of the L60 Leveller.
Combined with the Novoflex Q-Mount it adds very little height to the total assembly.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Since the goal here is weight savings, I think I'll stick with the mini cube direct to tripod (or triobal, if more tilt is needed). As bike racers and hikers say, look after the ounces, and the pounds take care of themselves.

M

Shashin

As bike racers and hikers say, look after the ounces, and the pounds take care of themselves.

M
This is why, no matter how tempting they look, I have never gone to a quick release system. By the time all the plates and clamps have been bought, there is a significant amount of metal added to the bag. My p0 has a simple tripod thread adapter, making a bit lighter than the L60 leveler. Although, a heavier bag might give me a better workout--I could certainly lose the weight...

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Arca Swiss really missed a marketing moment (what were they thinking?:loco:) L60? Sorry, I'm calling it the Mini-Cube! And this thing is tiny---smaller in hand than I thought. Almost too small for the RRS TVC-24. Limited geared movements, but not a bad trade-off for size, weight and portability. I'm going to try and use the Mini-Cube without an additional leveling base to keep the total tripod package smaller and lighter.

I've also gone back to the AS FlipLock on my Cube. I don't mind it at all. It would be nice if the screw knob on the Mini-Cube quick release could be better set apart or differentiated from the other knobs.View attachment 131898

View attachment 131899

ken
Hello Ken

Looking at the LEVELER L60 , what RRS dove tail plate is that ? ? ?
I assume it is the TH-DVTL-40 round plate one , but am not sure . And is it the same on the other heads ? ? ?

Don Libby

Hello Ken

Looking at the LEVELER L60 , what RRS dove tail plate is that ? ? ?
I assume it is the TH-DVTL-40 round plate one , but am not sure . And is it the same on the other heads ? ? ?
Not Ken so you'll have to do with me :sleep: Last I spoke with Ken he was busy getting ready for his Iceland trip. I can however answer the question as I have the same setup and yes it is the RRS 40 dovetail. I have one on each of my heads. They work great and quick to remove and setup and very stable without adding much height or weight.

Don

I'm sure Ken will chime in shortly

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Thank you Don . :thumbup:
The RRS TH-DVTL-40 round plate is available and in stock . Although it is Saturday late night here ,
i have ordered that plate . I am preparing everything here to give the ARCA L60 a warm welcome .
I hope , I can soon join the getdpi ARCA L60 minicube team .

kdphotography

Yes, all three heads pictured (Mini-Cube, Cube, and T5) have a RRS Dovetail 40 attached to the base. See, http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/TH-DVTL-40-Round-Dovetail-Plate. The AS QuickLink mentioned above by Rod Klukas and the Novoflex option mentioned by one of the initial Mini-Cube enablers JonMo ;) are worth looking at.

I've decided to remove the Graham Welland quick release from my Mini-Cube and the TVC-24, at least for my trip to Iceland. As Matt noted, I'm trying to travel light, and I am not taking another head to warrant the quick release. It may very well be that the Mini-Cube remains affixed to the TVC-24 as my permanent travel solution, leaving the other heads with Quick releases on a studio camera stand and RRS TVC-33 tripod.

Ken