Site Sponsors
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19

Thread: The great tripod & head thread!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The great tripod & head thread!

Hello again!,

Does anyone knows if all original Arca Swiss classic camera plates and the L-bracket is so precisely manufactured that they all fit the Flip Lock on my Z1+ ballhead??. Or will i have to adjust the flip lock as is necessary with unoriginal ones...
    Do not want to invest in a L-bracket if they do not fit the same adjustment...

Thank you and merry christmas and happy new year to everyone
    Per J.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    Jürgen,

Until 30 days pass, you get no credit for resisting. Let us know in May that you still don't own the tripod.

Steve

Steve , I have lost . The NOVOFLEX TrioPod75 is on its way to me . With the strong legs
    QLEG C3940 SET3 .
    I think , Dante will be very pleased .
    Now , I could of course use some excuses , but who would believe me ? ? ?
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Almost two years!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MrNikon View Post
    Hello again!,

Does anyone knows if all original Arca Swiss classic camera plates and the L-bracket is so precisely manufactured that they all fit the Flip Lock on my Z1+ ballhead??. Or will i have to adjust the flip lock as is necessary with unoriginal ones...
    Do not want to invest in a L-bracket if they do not fit the same adjustment...

Thank you and merry christmas and happy new year to everyone
    Per J.
    I have a couple of ARCA SWISS plates and they are all the same . I can't see a reason why they should be different .
    There will surely be differences between plates and rails from other brands .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The Peak Design Travel Tripod was delivered yesterday morning! The tripod feels good ... light but not insubstantial, parts fit well, there's a feeling of quality to its build. I'd tested a late pre-production one with my Hasselblad 500CM and Distagon 50mm lens at the PD store in San Francisco a month or so ago: It handled that nicely. I'm sure it will do well with the lighter equipment I more usually carry. Seems quite stable for its size ... only actual use in the field will tell for sure whether it is up to the tasks I have in mind. It sure is nice and small packed down in its case, and light too.

One of my first curiosities was to see whether my iPhone 8 Plus in its Moment case (for use with my accessory lenses) would fit in the supplied smartphone clip that's stored in the bottom of the center column. The clip expands just enough to handle it, but my RRS smartphone mount is quite a bit handier as well as much sturdier. That's okay: the smartphone clip in the column is fine for when in a pinch without the RRS mount.

For others who are buying one, and in case you weren't aware, Peak Design has published two videos on YouTube pertinent to using the tripod:

Peak Design Travel Tripod: Set Up & Tips
    Peak Design Travel Tripod: Maintenance & Tuning

Both are useful and informative.

Now to get out and put the Travel Tripod to some use! I'm about to head off on a cruise in the Caribbean, hmmm...

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I modified my Arca-Swiss L75 Leveler by replacing the A-S Classic clamp with an RRS lever clamp and by adding an RRS dovetail to the bottom for easy mounting and removal from my tripod (which is equipped with an RRS clamp). I'm not a fan of either the A-S Classic clamp or their lever clamp. This modification isn't for the faint of heart and definitely voids the warranty.

Here's the result:

The modification retains the detents on the top stage. If anyone is interested in the details, please contact me.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there,
    I wanted to give an update to my tripod head search for the Hasselblad 500CM with 350mm Tele-Superachromat.

The choice now came down to a Markins M20, which I will receive next week. I am curious! Nevertheless, a question for the long lens shooters: what other means of stabilisation besides the tripod head are you using? I saw for example once that the body was connected to a tripod leg(the lens was on the tripod head), and there was a kind of a rail that which was used to support the lens hood of the tele lens. Any recommendations?

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anyone View Post
    Hi there,
    I wanted to give an update to my tripod head search for the Hasselblad 500CM with 350mm Tele-Superachromat.

The choice now came down to a Markins M20, which I will receive next week. I am curious! Nevertheless, a question for the long lens shooters: what other means of stabilisation besides the tripod head are you using? I saw for example once that the body was connected to a tripod leg(the lens was on the tripod head), and there was a kind of a rail that which was used to support the lens hood of the tele lens. Any recommendations?

Thank you!
    You might look at the long lens support package from Really Right Stuff (https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/pla...g-lens-support). With the 350 SA you can either use the lens foot or body's base plate to clamp down to the rail, with the "Y" support cradling the front of the lens (however there may be clearance issues if using the lens foot). I found this worked quite well with my more pedestrian CF 350 (see below). Very envious of your 350 Superachromat!

Hope this helps.

John

EDIT: When using this rig one should use an RRS base plate on the camera or lens, as the clamp tightens onto the base plate and the rail simultaneously, thus requiring both to be the exact same width. I have found that the Arca-Swiss base plates are just a hair narrower than their RRS counterparts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26110961184_915b92c6c8_o.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	561.8 KB 
ID:	146766
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    I modified my Arca-Swiss L75 Leveler by replacing the A-S Classic clamp with an RRS lever clamp and by adding an RRS dovetail to the bottom for easy mounting and removal from my tripod (which is equipped with an RRS clamp). I'm not a fan of either the A-S Classic clamp or their lever clamp. This modification isn't for the faint of heart and definitely voids the warranty.

Here's the result:

The modification retains the detents on the top stage. If anyone is interested in the details, please contact me.

Joe

Hello Joe

Can you please give the RRS ordernumber or the exact RRS name of the dovetail plate you used ?
    RRS stuff is not easy to get here . Thank you . Jürgen .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jng View Post
    You might look at the long lens support package from Really Right Stuff (https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/pla...g-lens-support). With the 350 SA you can either use the lens foot or body's base plate to clamp down to the rail, with the "Y" support cradling the front of the lens (however there may be clearance issues if using the lens foot). I found this worked quite well with my more pedestrian CF 350 (see below). Very envious of your 350 Superachromat!

Hope this helps.

John

EDIT: When using this rig one should use an RRS base plate on the camera or lens, as the clamp tightens onto the base plate and the rail simultaneously, thus requiring both to be the exact same width. I have found that the Arca-Swiss base plates are just a hair narrower than their RRS counterparts.
    Thanks John,
    this helps indeed. RRS is not exactly easy to get here in Europe (and ordering in US always means customs+VAT on top), but this seems to be the solution I was looking for. So basically the lens foot would be connected to the rail, and the Y-shaped support would hold additionally the lens barrel. The rail itself seems to require another RRS-compatible clamp, or would Arca Swiss work? The Markins ball head does have an Arca clamp attached.

In this setup, the body itself would remain unsupported. I wonder if there is still a possibility to attach it to the tripod leg? Then I would have a three-point-support, that should be sufficient also for the 350 + converter.

On Amazon, there are various knock-offs of the RRS design. I wonder if anyone has some first hand experience with them?

Thanks a lot!

PS: Nice to see another Hasselblad V-System digital user! I sometimes get the impression in the fun with mf images thread that I'm the only one left. Which digital back is this? Concerning the SA, it really is a nice lens. I strongly recommend it, despite its rather high price tag. Before I also had the regular 350mm, which was also good, but the SA is a class of its own. I got for my regular 350mm also a tripod foot which made the stabilisation easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    Hello Joe

Can you please give the RRS ordernumber or the exact RRS name of the dovetail plate you used ?
    RRS stuff is not easy to get here . Thank you . Jürgen .
    Jürgen, the dovetail plate is the Small Dovetail Plate, TH-DVTL-40, shown on the RRS website here.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks John,
    this helps indeed. RRS is not exactly easy to get here in Europe (and ordering in US always means customs+VAT on top), but this seems to be the solution I was looking for. So basically the lens foot would be connected to the rail, and the Y-shaped support would hold additionally the lens barrel. The rail itself seems to require another RRS-compatible clamp, or would Arca Swiss work? The Markins ball head does have an Arca clamp attached.
    The rail is basically a long two-sided base plate that can be clamped from above and below. The bottom fits directly into your tripod head clamp, and the top catches the two-sided clamp that simultaneously clamps the rail and the camera or lens foot base plate.

In this setup, the body itself would remain unsupported. I wonder if there is still a possibility to attach it to the tripod leg? Then I would have a three-point-support, that should be sufficient also for the 350 + converter.
    Ah, you have the teleconverter as well. Now I'm actually jealous! With or without the teleconverter, you might try clamping at the body and adjusting the height of the "Y" support to just touch the lens barrel when the assembled camera + lens is vertical. This should keep things in good alignment as the Y support catches any sag due to the weight of the lens, which as you know is quite front-heavy.

On Amazon, there are various knock-offs of the RRS design. I wonder if anyone has some first hand experience with them?
    No experience with these. You might also look into Kirk Enterprise Solutions (also in the U.S.), which provides some clever and well-executed solutions as well.

PS: Nice to see another Hasselblad V-System digital user! I sometimes get the impression in the fun with mf images thread that I'm the only one left. Which digital back is this? Concerning the SA, it really is a nice lens. I strongly recommend it, despite its rather high price tag. Before I also had the regular 350mm, which was also good, but the SA is a class of its own. I got for my regular 350mm also a tripod foot which made the stabilisation easier.
    Sadly, since I moved to the Cambo the old 500 series bodies don't see much use except for the occasional exercising of the shutters (which reminds me...). The back you see on my 501CM is an IQ160, which I eventually traded for an IQ3100. I might be one of the first to line up if/when Hasselblad ever comes out with a 100 Mp CFV back. In the meantime, with an adapter for the Cambo (and also for my X1D - yes I'm a gear slut) I still enjoy using some of the old Zeiss lenses in my kit: 100 CF, 150 C (purchased new in 1976!), 120 S-Planar, 180 CF and 250 Superachromat (I found the 350 CF to be just OK so sold it, but not until after making some nice images with it). The 350 SA + teleconverter is definitely on my "want" list but given the price, weight and anticipated frequency of usage "want" has yet to turn into "need."

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jürgen, the dovetail plate is the Small Dovetail Plate, TH-DVTL-40, shown on the RRS website here.

Joe
    Thank you Joe .
    The TH-DVTL-40 is on order .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like

The rail is basically a long two-sided base plate that can be clamped from above and below. The bottom fits directly into your tripod head clamp, and the top catches the two-sided clamp that simultaneously clamps the rail and the camera or lens foot base plate.

Ah, you have the teleconverter as well. Now I'm actually jealous! With or without the teleconverter, you might try clamping at the body and adjusting the height of the "Y" support to just touch the lens barrel when the assembled camera + lens is vertical. This should keep things in good alignment as the Y support catches any sag due to the weight of the lens, which as you know is quite front-heavy.

No experience with these. You might also look into Kirk Enterprise Solutions (also in the U.S.), which provides some clever and well-executed solutions as well.

Sadly, since I moved to the Cambo the old 500 series bodies don't see much use except for the occasional exercising of the shutters (which reminds me...). The back you see on my 501CM is an IQ160, which I eventually traded for an IQ3100. I might be one of the first to line up if/when Hasselblad ever comes out with a 100 Mp CFV back. In the meantime, with an adapter for the Cambo (and also for my X1D - yes I'm a gear slut) I still enjoy using some of the old Zeiss lenses in my kit: 100 CF, 150 C (purchased new in 1976!), 120 S-Planar, 180 CF and 250 Superachromat (I found the 350 CF to be just OK so sold it, but not until after making some nice images with it). The 350 SA + teleconverter is definitely on my "want" list but given the price, weight and anticipated frequency of usage "want" has yet to turn into "need."

John
    Quick update: long lens support arrived and works well with a cheap arca-swiss knockoff-plate. I also purchased the Manfrotto 359-1 telephoto lens support to have a 3-point-support when needed. This, together with a sturdy Gitzo tripod and the Markins M20 should now be enough to keep everything nicely stable. Curious to try out the setup in practice!

Thanks a lot for your help!

PS: also the Cambo - V-lens route is interesting. If I ever find a cheap Wide DS body, I might also try it out.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

PS: also the Cambo - V-lens route is interesting. If I ever find a cheap Wide DS body, I might also try it out.
    Off-topic, but John has set you up perfectly towards Cambo.

Here's one: https://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs...ody-boxed.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    Off-topic, but John has set you up perfectly towards Cambo.

Here's one: https://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs...ody-boxed.html

Never a day's rest for Dante's elves...

Post Thanks / Like

But as long as Ken mentioned it...

Name:  7_Cambo_250SA.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  271.3 KB

OK, back to tripods and heads...

John
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Now to get out and put the Travel Tripod to some use! I'm about to head off on a cruise in the Caribbean, hmmm...
    I took the PD Travel Tripod along with me on the cruise. It was not too much trouble to pack and carry, and it proved a plus to have with me, although I didn't use it for more than about 20 to 30 exposures out of the 1000 I just downloaded from my iPhone. Let's just say that this was perhaps one of my least likely trips to have much use for a tripod, and regardless of that it proved worth the trouble of carrying and did a good job with iPhone and Polaroid SX-70.

I'll have to catch up with the rest of the goings on...

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FYI - After a wait, Capture Integration now has In Stock status on Arca-Swiss L75 Core Leveler Classic and Flip Lock...

Steve Hendrix/CI
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Authorized Reseller Digital Cam: • Phase One | Fuji | Leica | Hasselblad •
    Authorized Reseller TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar •

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The gangs all here!

Arca Swiss: The Cube; The Mini-Cube; and The Baby Cube!

Interesting to note that the new Mini-Cube (Leveler 75) uses a RRS Dovetail 55 for the Welland tripod quick release system. The larger Cube uses the DVTL-40. The Mini-Cube is a much better fit for the RRS TVC 2 series legs. The Baby Cube is perfect with the Novoflex Triobalance (leveling built-in) which gives it the same amount of movements as the Leveler 75.

Ken

Name:	AS Cube Family WEB.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	230.5 KB 
ID:	147104

Post Thanks / Like

Hi John,

Can you tell us what adapters you have on the Cambo that works with the long lens?
    Which lens is that by the way, and how does it work on the Cambo for a long lens?
    Thanks for your input.

John

But as long as Ken mentioned it...

Name:  7_Cambo_250SA.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  271.3 KB

OK, back to tripods and heads...

John

Post Thanks / Like

That's a Hasselblad V-series Zeiss 250mm Sonnar Superachromat.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothjazz View Post
    Hi John,

Can you tell us what adapters you have on the Cambo that works with the long lens?
    Which lens is that by the way, and how does it work on the Cambo for a long lens?
    Thanks for your input.

John

Post Thanks / Like

The gangs all here!

Interesting to note that the new Mini-Cube (Leveler 75) uses a RRS Dovetail 55 for the Welland tripod quick release system. The larger Cube uses the DVTL-40. The Mini-Cube is a much better fit for the RRS TVC 2 series legs. The Baby Cube is perfect with the Novoflex Triobalance (leveling built-in) which gives it the same amount of movements as the Leveler 75.

Ken

Kudos for the cleanest garage I’ve seen! It’s tidier than most living rooms.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Were you raised in a barn? You've got the claw feet on a wood floor.

The gangs all here!

Ken

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

lol! The bamboo flooring is tough, but I was careful....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothjazz View Post
    Hi John,

Thanks for your input.

John
    This is the "dumb" adapter from Cambo. It works great but you can't control the leaf shutter (aperture via stop-down mode only) so need to rely on a back w/electronic shutter. The only downside is that there's no tilt/swing but this isn't an issue for me with the longer focal lengths anyway.

There's a fellow on eBay that sells a custom adapter that incorporates the shutter cocking/firing mechanism from the old Hassy Flexbody. I believe that Andy Lerman might have one that's looking for a good home...

As mentioned above the lens is a Zeiss 250mm Superachromat - an amazing optic that renders beautifully and with no detectable chromatic aberration. A few years ago I tested it back-to-back with a Phase/Schneider 240mm blue ring lens @ 100 Mp and let's just say that I'm very happy with the old Zeiss...

John
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Joe
    Joe, How do you like the leveler? Looks like it has a lot of cube functionality but smaller

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    Joe, How do you like the leveler? Looks like it has a lot of cube functionality but smaller
    Exactly. Doug, the L75 is in the sweet spot between the Cube and the L60 Leveler. It's perfect for the landscape photographer who shoots with a DSLR or larger mirrorless camera (GFX, X1D, SL/SL2, etc.). And it has more degrees of movement than the L60. I like it.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A question for Matt or Ken, or anyone else with a Novoflex TrioBalance: I'm tossing up between the 3 section and the 4 section carbon legs. The dealer tells me that the closed length is 11cm different 65cm vs 54cm in favour of the 4 section legs and 100g in favour of the 4 section. I'm not so fussed about those differences, it would be nice, but not at the expense of rigidity.

So the question is, how strong/rigid is the 4 section and how does it compare to the 3 section. To be used with an Alpa STC and the GFX 50R and the zooms.

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pelorus View Post
    A question for Matt or Ken, or anyone else with a Novoflex TrioBalance: I'm tossing up between the 3 section and the 4 section carbon legs. The dealer tells me that the closed length is 11cm different 65cm vs 54cm in favour of the 4 section legs and 100g in favour of the 4 section. I'm not so fussed about those differences, it would be nice, but not at the expense of rigidity.

So the question is, how strong/rigid is the 4 section and how does it compare to the 3 section. To be used with an Alpa STC and the GFX 50R and the zooms.
    I haven't noticed a rigidity difference between any of the 3 or 4 section leg options. I haven't tried anything longer than 120mm, though. The 5 section is another matter

Matt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The Novoflex Triobalance tripod I have is a smaller "travel" tripod. Though it is excellent and will do the job, this is not a tripod that I would want to use day-in-day-out. Sometimes for whatever reason you need a small portable solution---and I think the smaller Novoflex Triobalance model that I have is excellent in this regard. I'm not sure of the model number, but believe it has been updated by this model: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...base_with.html

For a small portable solution with a tech cam or GFX (maybe keeping within the footprint of the 32-64) the Novoflex Triobalance tripod works fine. I currently have the baby Cube L60 on my Novoflex. Where space permits when traveling (which generally is not an issue), I am more likely taking my RRS TVC-24, now with AS Mini-Cube L75. The RRS TVC-24 has legs that are a bit more stout and just gives that feeling of more stability. It has a wider spider and the legs sit more firmly.

If I am close to the car, hands-down, I grab the TVC-3 series and Cube.

ken
    www.houseoflandscapes.com
    www.kendoophotography.com
    www.carmelfineartprinting.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Ken and Matt. Ken, that's the same tripod I'm looking at. I've got to the stage where if it's heavy it stays at home...so this is about "rigid enough" to do the job. I just don't want flimsy and vibration prone. I recently took a heavier Gitzo to Japan for a month and it never left the hotel room. I reckon the best tripod is one that you use.

I also really need a levelling base and that's what attracted me to the Novoflex. I have an Arca Z1 that will go on top.

Matt seems happier than Ken with the TrioBalance...

I'd really like the Triopod Pro 75...but it's simply too heavy.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't get me wrong---I do like the Novoflex Triobalance, especially when paired with the AS L60 baby Cube.
    But I rather use a more substantial tripod where possible, so the Triobalance, while not used often by me, is still my top choice for a small portable yet stable platform.

No doubt that the latest generation is better than mine. I'd just make sure that your ball head choice doesn't make this small tripod top heavy.

Btw, have you considered the L60? It is Dante Approved.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes you get one of those situations where you want/need a tripod---but maybe not supposed to have one. So you need super small, and maybe "disposable" tripod---so it needs to be somewhat inexpensive. Enter the Aoka tripod. 14" folded, including the ball head. Carbon Fiber and weighs 1 pound. About $90. Suitable for Fuji XT3 mirrorless sized cameras, though it will support a GFX50S to provide added support, but don't walk away... An expandable center column piece is included which actually gets you close to working height, though obviously more stability challenged. 28" leg sections extended, no center column attached; up to 53.6" legs extended, with the columns attached and expanded.

Not Dante Approved. Way too cheap.

Name:	Aoka travel tripod WEB.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	834.7 KB 
ID:	147224

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pelorus,

In truth, I'm less enamored of the Novy tripods than I once was. They make a VERY flexible system, but for simple weight and rigidity, the RRS wins. I'm very much a "buy more tripod than I'll ever need" person, and I usually take the smallest and lightest thing I own, if anything. The Peak Design is a bit too wobbly for the GFX100, but the RRS 1 series is fine (!). As a result, the Triobalance, Gitzo 3, and Novy Pro 75 never get out to play.

I still have the Triobalance and L60 ready to use - it's a great combo.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks once again Ken and Matt. I must confess I find the RRS website simply defeating, I can never find the information I want or understand the tripod. Lots of names like "versa base" or something but no clear description. On specs the 1 series doesn't seem to stack up against the Triobalance and I can't see how to get a really low profile levelling base which is the critical feature

I also did wonder whether anyone had experience of the 3 Legged Thing Mike. It's newish but seems to fit the bill.

Parameters really are:

• Low profile, built in levelling base
    • Weight less than around 1.65kg
    • Support 7-10kg
    • Height around 150-160cm max
    • Folded height around 65cm max

Kind regards
    Mike

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, You may find it easier to email or call RRS and ask your questions. They are generally pretty good.

Here's another company that I ran across---no experience with them.

See, https://coloradotripod.com/products/centennial-tripod

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Ken, I think part of the issue here is that I'm not looking for a first tripod but for a really specific set of criteria and it feels like I set on an option and then it fades.

Great suggestion about contacting RRS and thanks for the link.

Regards
    Mike

Mike, You may find it easier to email or call RRS and ask your questions. They are generally pretty good.

Here's another company that I ran across---no experience with them.

See, https://coloradotripod.com/products/centennial-tripod

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I realize that I gave the Peak Design tripod a poor review due to its handling of a GFX100 + 100-200 zoom. Today, I tried it with an iPhone (for video with holder included in the center column!) and with the Fuji X-H1 with 56/1.2 lens. In both cases, it was convenient and completely up to the task. For WA landscapes, I would not hesitate to use it with a Fuji X-series camera. Haven't tried it with FF. Would probably stick with the RRS 1-series in that case.

I know we're in the MF forum, but I thought this extremely clever design deserved credit for what it does well. (It also includes a plate and two hex keys attached to the frame).

Matt