Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The great tripod & head thread!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The great tripod & head thread!

Hi,

On the shopping list! But I need to sell off some old gear first to pay for it.

Best regards
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by gmfotografie View Post
    @erik
    watch out for the new arca heads.... geared pan.

Post Thanks / Like

you can sell me your d4 without the geared panning ;-)
    [ no picture ]

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks like time to resurrect this thread.

The problem of tripods is weight, stability, and height. You can get something really big and stable, but you never can take it with you. You can get something really portable, but while you carry it, you never use it, usually because it is too short. Personally, I look for something I can carry (defined as all day in mountainous terrain) and that can hold the camera at (my) eye level. I also like simple, compact heads. The solution that has worked for me for a really long time has been a Manfrotto Carone 441, three section legs, their short center column (lighter than the standard column), and an Arca Swiss P0 ball head.

The tripod is no longer made--I have had it that long--but I think similar models are available. I also like flip locks rather than twist lock (I have a couple of Gitzo tripods too). One reason is a visual inspection will show if the leg is locked. I do not use quick plates simply because I do not want the additional weight or bulk, both for the tripod and the camera. The Arca Swiss P0 ball head is a really compact and stable design. I simply mounted a 70mm diameter single screw plate to the top to attach the camera.

BTW, this was the photograph taken at the time of the shot above:

Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post

Velbon PH-273QL
    Well, nothing really that makes it special. Except its incredible light weight. It is featherlight at 390 gr. Believe it or not but even lighter than the tiny mini-magicball. Not very smooth action and overall less confidence in this one.
    Dan, I have had a couple of these mag-alloy Velbon ball heads. I think that model and the one smaller that is only 160g. Not the most elegant of designs, but they are stable with good size loads and inexpensive. The double slit design works really well for positioning the camera up or down, unlike the Arca Swiss with one slit, requiring the head to be spun to change the camera. If you need a ball head that is light, these are great. Also, unlike expensive models, you don't feel so bad using it in harsh conditions. Velbon previously used this design for some bigger steel heads. My largest ball head is this design. Bomb proof, much like the large Manfrotto you showed.

Post Thanks / Like

Im still searching for a stable, light tripod for hiking - i think the maximum weight including the head should not be more than 2kg.
    my equipment is a canon dslr 24-70mm - maybe the fuji gfx with the zoom lens - and my hasselblad 503 with the 80mm.

i tested the gitzo traveler series 1 and 2:

series 2: GT2545T mit GH1382QD
    series 1: GT1545T mit GH1382TQD
    (who is responsible for those names???)

small packing size but i dont like the ballhead.
    can you recommend a ballhead which fits to the traveller and is good to handle?

does anybody uses a cube c1 for hiking - want to buy this for studio and architecture work but traveling with this monster?
    [ no picture ]

Post Thanks / Like

If you are ok with a non-geared ballhead, the RRS BH-40 goes pretty well with the Gitzo 2-series. Also goes well with the RRS 2-series, which I like a little better because it is taller but not much heavier.

I don't use the cube for backpacking. I either use the D4, BH-40 or go "naked" with just the RRS leveling base; with some creative use of the leg setup you can get +/- ~30 degrees.

Dave
    davechewphotography.com
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I recently upgraded to Arca Swiss Cube 1 from Manfrotto 229. The Cube is a stunning head. It is the Rolls Royce of all the heads I had before.
    It is so solid, robust, accurate and make the shoot of jewelry and gems much easier than it been before.
    It is costly, but it worth every penny (for me).
    Photos will be added later when I will be at my studio.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

thank you - i can image that an rrs tripod with only the leveling base should be a good solution. can you send me some pictures?
    i dont need that much movements when im hiking.

thx
    [ no picture ]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gmfotografie View Post
    thank you - i can image that an rrs tripod with only the leveling base should be a good solution. can you send me some pictures?
    i dont need that much movements when im hiking.

thx
    Here is the the base (TA-2_LC) alone on top of the TVC-24-L. It really is amazing how light tripods are without a ball head:

With the tripod level, it tilts about 14 degrees:

With the forward leg shortened and still stable. Obviously you need to pay attention. Reaching into your bag for that polarizer and bumping the tripod in this position would be bad (Graham insert whimpering and shaking fear here).

About 30 degrees down angle:

Dave
    davechewphotography.com
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dchew View Post
    with the forward leg shortened and still stable. Obviously you need to pay attention. Reaching into your bag for that polarizer and bumping the tripod in this position would be bad (graham insert whimpering and shaking fear here).

dave
    I don't mind being on the edge but that's a step too far for me.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

i like this setup ... as i do a lot of architectural pictures im not that guy who is moving the ballhead a lot .... im the straight one... so i will try this solution ... with the tvc 24
    [ no picture ]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    I don't mind being on the edge but that's a step too far for me.

You're right. I think this is more of a "you could if you had to" picture. A few things to note: First, its more stable to put two legs forward and lengthen the one in the back, but a leg sticking behind the camera is a leg to trip over, so both methods have their problems.

Second, I find myself leveling the camera almost all the time, as I'm sure most of us tech camera users do. But there are times...

Third, without live view I would never recommend anything but a geared head. That is especially true with this set up.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with Dave about geared head. I use a d4 normally, but after last weeks Death Valley Death March, I switched to my panning head just to give myself a break from the weight. Still haven't properly cleaned the equipment since the trip! I think RRS must buy spirit levels by the thousands as they put them on everything...
    This is a RRS TVC-3X, leveling base and panning head combo.

Dave, I did have an incident exactly as the one you indicate might happen. Camera and tripod hit the salt flats, back of camera landing first. Ouch! Surprisingly the camera was fine but my Zeiss 21 cratered on me. Something in the electrical contacts.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JohnBrew; 5th February 2017 at 07:43.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is the the base (TA-2_LC) alone on top of the TVC-24-L. It really is amazing how light tripods are without a ball head:
    Dave, that is really neat thinking. I was considering just a leveling base because of the low profile.

On a side note for the OP, the Arca Swiss P0 is the same weight as this leveling base and more flexible.
    Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just began using a P0 with my XF and can't say enough nice things about it. The combination of the bubble level and ring on the P0 makes for one of the smoothest efforts to level I've had since using a Cube. I'm also excited to see the new P0 Hybrid.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there everyone. I know nothing (!!) about tripods and heads other than do they do the job of holding up the camera or do they stop me from getting the shot that they want. I have spent a lot of time looking up the terms and the acronyms that have been posted here. The few bits that I have understood have been very interesting - so thanks for adding to my education.

The question posed to us was ...

"Im still searching for a stable, light tripod for hiking - i think the maximum weight including the head should not be more than 2kg. My equipment is a canon dslr 24-70mm - maybe the fuji gfx with the zoom lens - and my hasselblad 503 with the 80mm."

===================

I do landscape photography (poorly) and carry a tripod quite some distance, so I can speak to the requirement of low weight. I use a Hasselblad 501CM so I can speak to that aspect as well. The 80mm lens is not very demanding in terms of weight. I tend to shoot on a tripod with long or short lenses that would be 1 to 1.5 kg heavier than the 80mm lens.

My set up is ...

- Hasselblad 501CM Body (Chrome) - S/N 10SH26953 (2002).
    - Hasselblad CFV-50c Digital Back for Hasselblad V mount camera.
    - Hasselblad Focusing Screen for the CFV-50c digital back, with focussing prism and crop markings.
    - Hasselblad 45 Degree Viewfinder PME-45 42297 (2001).
    - Hasselblad Carl Zeiss lens - Planar T* 80mm f/2.8 CFE (2000).
    - FotodioX B60 Lens Hood for Select Hasselblad Standard Length CF Lenses.

- Really Right Stuff (RRS) TFC-14 Series 1 Carbon Fiber Tripod - MFR # 13996.
    - Really Right Stuff (RRS) BH-30 Ball Head with Mini Screw-Knob Clamp - MFR # BH-30 PRO.
    - Hasselblad HATQCH (3043326) Tripod Quick Coupling.
    - Arca-Swiss ARUCP38 Universal Camera Plate 3/8".
    - Nikon AR-3 Shutter Release Cable.
    - Artisan & Artist ACAM-302 Silk Cord for Hassleblad Cameras (Black).

The tripod and head have a combined weight of 1.332 kg.

I am very happy with the low weight and the sturdyness. When taking photos of the night sky, the camera can be at some prettly alarming angles yet it hold the camera firmly and easily.

:-) ... MomentsForZen (Richard)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5803.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	474.1 KB 
ID:	124581   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5805.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	545.1 KB 
ID:	124582   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5799.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	419.0 KB 
ID:	124583   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5797.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	451.2 KB 
ID:	124584  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MomentsForZen View Post

My set up is ...

- Really Right Stuff (RRS) TFC-14 Series 1 Carbon Fiber Tripod - MFR # 13996.
    - Really Right Stuff (RRS) BH-30 Ball Head with Mini Screw-Knob Clamp - MFR # BH-30 PRO.
    - Hasselblad HATQCH (3043326) Tripod Quick Coupling.
    - Arca-Swiss ARUCP38 Universal Camera Plate 3/8".
    - Nikon AR-3 Shutter Release Cable.
    - Artisan & Artist ACAM-302 Silk Cord for Hassleblad Cameras (Black).

The tripod and head have a combined weight of 1.332 kg.
    Richard,
    Very nice!. It makes me think of all the criteria we look at when making tripod/head selections:
    1. Stability: This is a weird one because tripod/head manufacturers use weight to define this. I get why they do that but I have no idea how they come up with those numbers nor how relevant it is to our needs. There are a lot of factors that go into whether a tripod is "stable" enough: Weight of camera + lens, resolution, pixel pitch, focal length, wind, ...
    2. Tripod/head weight: We've all been posting about this a lot lately. Usually we want the lightest combination that meets our other criteria, but some may want tripod mass for #1 above...?
    3. Extended height: This hasn't been in the discussion much, but it can be important: Note that if you stack Don Libby and me on top of each other we are scratching 4 meters. So we may not be normal in our tripod height requirements!
    4. Folded height: How small do we need it to be? This can be important if we have specific backpacks or luggage we want to stuff them into.
    5. Head features: Tilt angle, flip to portrait, geared operation, panning, bubble levels, Arca clamps, type of release, tension adjustment, ...
    6. Leg sections: 3 or 4? That's a debate in itself!
    7. Price
    8. Other: Some may want Aluminum no matter what; others CF no matter what.

Although I have never tried a TFC-14, I bet it would check all of my criteria really well except height. Although my post above barely meets gmfotographie's 2kg requirement, the head is obviously lacking in several ways. As Will pointed out, the A/S P0 provides more features for about the same weight. Perhaps the BH-30/40 do too. Truth is, I investigated the leveling base because sometimes I don't want to worry about setting my pack down on a pile of rocks. Therefore I tend to remove the ball head and pack it inside the backpack, which is kind of a pain. The leveling base, on the other hand, is pretty indestructible.

This is a great thread because some of the "other" criteria that affect our choices are being revealed.

Dave
    davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Those of you using the A/S PO, are you using standard A/S plates or the smaller ones designed for the PO head? Thanks.

John

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bigger ones - so they'll work on my other heads.

--Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    Bigger ones - so they'll work on my other heads.

--Matt
    Thanks, Matt.

Post Thanks / Like

I've settled on a Gitzo 4542LS tripod, KPS Research & Design T5 Geared Ballhead with RRS Panorama Clamp, and Hejnar Photo Lens Support Rail and RRS L-bracket for my Phase One XF rig...
    Name:  XFrig.jpg
Views: 995
Size:  345.3 KB
    Last edited by ejpeiker; 6th February 2017 at 12:45.
    E.J. Peiker
    www.EJPhoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

@dchew ...

Great list of various criteria that might be in play when looking for a tripod and/or head. All too easy to fall into the trap of thinking that everyone has the same requirements as we do.

:-) ... MomentsForZen (Richard)

Post Thanks / Like

How do you flip your camera from horizontal to vertical position using cubes and geared heads? Tech cameras may have rotating backs, so that may not be an issue, but what about just using your SLRs?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Abstraction View Post
    How do you flip your camera from horizontal to vertical position using cubes and geared heads? Tech cameras may have rotating backs, so that may not be an issue, but what about just using your SLRs?
    I don't use an SLR, but the Alpa has two RRS plates, one next to the grip and one on the "bottom" 90 degrees away so I can orient it rise/fall or shift.

My Sony a7rII has a RRS L-plate.

Note even with the cube you can tilt it 90 degrees if you want.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

L plates!

Post Thanks / Like

L plates!
    I don't use an SLR, but the Alpa has two RRS plates, one next to the grip and one on the "bottom" 90 degrees away so I can orient it rise/fall or shift.

My Sony a7rII has a RRS L-plate.

Note even with the cube you can tilt it 90 degrees if you want.

Dave
    Do you guys dismount the camera, flip it and then remount it on the tripod? That's a pain especially with a heavy rig!

Can you tilt the cube 90 degrees quickly or is it a matter of turning 3 or 4 screws?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You CAN tilt the cube 90 degrees, but it leads to an unstable side load. If you have a huge lens, it probably has a rotating collar. For a smaller lens, flipping the camera takes a few seconds. I'd rather rotate the camera than take off the back, rotate and reattach it. Rotating the camera won't let dust in!

--Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Do you guys dismount the camera, flip it and then remount it on the tripod? That's a pain especially with a heavy rig!

Can you tilt the cube 90 degrees quickly or is it a matter of turning 3 or 4 screws?
    Actually I much prefer rotating the camera vs flopping a ballhead over for two reasons: 1) I find it quicker, and 2) it is more stable sitting square on top of the head. I've done both and much prefer L-plates even on my ball heads. But you mention a heavy rig; I'm not sure about that because I don't have heavy rigs.

The cube requires moving 2 screws to go 90 degrees: the release at the bottom gets about ~65 degrees and turning the tilt for the remaining ~25 degrees.

Dave
    davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Are there any sort of brackets that would allow flipping the camera on its axis without being flimsy and shaky? There's gotta be a better way to flip the camera than to mount and dismount the entire rig.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never uploaded a video before so not sure how this will go. I don't think mounting and unmounting is difficult at all. In fact, if I have the camera level and want it to be level after flipping, this is much faster...

http://www.davechewphotography.com/t...ges/flip01.mov

12 seconds, and that's doing the dance twice.
    davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

I like that quick release plate. You don't seem to have to fuss with it to align it properly.

I still don't like the idea of having to remount the camera though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like that quick release plate. You don't seem to have to fuss with it to align it properly.

I still don't like the idea of having to remount the camera though.
    No need. The smart flex l plate does the job. https://www.digitalback.com/product/smart-flex-l-plate/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Smart Flex L bracket with camera specific A/S base plate best way to go IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anyone know what the Smart flex L plate weighs?

Interesting product - seems more useful on a monopod (outside a studio). I have no trouble rotating the RRS L bracket on a tripod.

--Matt

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sc_john View Post
    Those of you using the A/S PO, are you using standard A/S plates or the smaller ones designed for the PO head? Thanks.

John
    I'm using a RRS QR. My P0 came without a top plate
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anyone know what the Smart flex L plate weighs?

Interesting product - seems more useful on a monopod (outside a studio). I have no trouble rotating the RRS L bracket on a tripod.

--Matt
    Traveling so no scale but I assume about 8oz-model with A/S built into botton of it.

Very misunderstood tool by many here which has never let me down and perfect at getting outdoor changes from/to portrait/landscape on tripods. Never used it on monopod.

Post Thanks / Like

Dan,
    I have both the small Magic Ball and the large Magic Ball and swear by them. To not be limited by the "drop-in" cutout of a typical head is priceless. The quality is superb. Those Germans!
    But I also like the modularity of their system. You can start with a Magic Ball and then add their panorama piece and then the most amazing attachment device I have ever seen, the Q=Base. More on that in a minute...

The Magic Ball comes in three sizes, S, M and L.

I also have their panorama piece as well...it stacks on top of the Magic Ball.

And now, for the icing on the cake. The most incredible device for attaching an Arca Swiss outfitted camera to a tripod head....

It is called the Novoflex Q=Base. This is it...

So, this is how it works...
    You rotate the silver base counterclockwise to prepare to cock the base. Once rotated, you press the blue buttons together to cock the system so it is ready for an Arca Swiss plate. Now for the sheer brilliance...
    You literally place (drop) your camera on this base and the spring loaded receivers release to grab your plate. All ONE HANDED!! You cannot remove the camera unless you press the blue buttons together. Rotate the silver ring to fully tighten the system and ready to go.

I can't stress enough how much of a game changer this was for me. I own three of them. One on my larger Magic Ball, one on my small Magic Ball and one in my bag at all times for my small sony or just in case.

HIGHLY recommended!!
    Ken
    http://www.transposure.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Novoflex system looks very interesting, but it's very hard to get information on, for instance, the weights of the components. I have the large Gitzo 3-series and Cube for stability (7.5 lbs), but I would like to have a tripod that I'd actually carry willingly. I can see RRS solutions in the 3.3 lb. and 4.5 lb. ranges, and I can actually go to a store and see how stable they are with the Leica S. But the Novoflex tripods are a mystery.

So, Dan or Ken, do you have any idea what a Triobalance or Triopod setup would weigh and how it compares to similar weight RRS setups? (I know it's hard to say with a modular system, but the more data, the better.)

Thank you,

Matt
    Last edited by MGrayson; 7th February 2017 at 01:10.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    No need. The smart flex l plate does the job. https://www.digitalback.com/product/smart-flex-l-plate/
    Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    Smart Flex L bracket with camera specific A/S base plate best way to go IMHO.
    Yep! That's the thing. I bet it's useful in the field because every time you mount and dismount the camera, you risk dropping, kicking something or whatever other minor accident. Many of the guys have probably flipped the cameras on L plates for years without incident, but I always preferred to mount the camera on the tripod once and dismount after the shoot.

Post Thanks / Like

buy the way i have tested today the gitzo traveller set GT2545T with the GH1382QD in more detail - finally i like it!

the tripod opens and close very fast!
    closed, it measures only 44 cm with the ballhead
    it is very lightweight including the ballhead - 1,8kg
    the ballhead is also very stable and dont move with my hasselblad and the 250mm lens

for hiking my new friend...but nor for studio or architectural work!
    therefore an RSS with the cube will be my choice

i will post pictures soon
    [ no picture ]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    I just began using a P0 with my XF and can't say enough nice things about it. The combination of the bubble level and ring on the P0 makes for one of the smoothest efforts to level I've had since using a Cube. I'm also excited to see the new P0 Hybrid.
    You got my attention I also own the cube and find it just too heavy when out with a backpack. I will have the P0 tomorrow just in time for a Death Valley trip.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

The Novoflex system looks very interesting, but it's very hard to get information on, for instance, the weights of the components. I have the large Gitzo 3-series and Cube for stability (7.5 lbs), but I would like to have a tripod that I'd actually carry willingly. I can see RRS solutions in the 3.3 lb. and 4.5 lb. ranges, and I can actually go to a store and see how stable they are with the Leica S. But the Novoflex tripods are a mystery.

So, Dan or Ken, do you have any idea what a Triobalance or Triopod setup would weigh and how it compares to similar weight RRS setups? (I know it's hard to say with a modular system, but the more data, the better.)

Thank you,

Matt
    Look at Novoflex site http://www.novoflex.com/en/products/.../triopod/sets/
    or http://www.novoflex.com/en/products/...s-triobalance/
    or http://www.novoflex.com/en/products/...le-components/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vjbelle View Post
    You got my attention I also own the cube and find it just too heavy when out with a backpack. I will have the P0 tomorrow just in time for a Death Valley trip.

Victor
    Victor, I recently returned from Death Valley. At the end of the week I was pretty tired of the weight of my d4, but then every time I use it I am happy to have it. The two others in our little group were both using PO's. They were unanimous with their praise.
    Have a good shoot.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TimoK View Post
    Thank you. Oddly enough, I tried the Novoflex site and couldn't get very far. I'll try again. This is embarrassing, as I'm still the sysadmin in the family despite having two teenagers.

--Matt

(Yes, once I knew there was a solution, I found it. I was fooled by the TrioBalance listing being inside TrioPod. BTW, I did order one yesterday after making some informed guesses. With a simple clamp on top, it's <3.5 lbs. If I need panorama, I can use a P0 on top and I'm at 4 lbs.)
    Last edited by MGrayson; 8th February 2017 at 10:48.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. Oddly enough, I tried the Novoflex site and couldn't get very far. I'll try again. This is embarrassing, as I'm still the sysadmin in the family despite having two teenagers.

--Matt
    It's same with me. I should know something about the net,I know about html (and a little xml), I have made some sites (with the help of w3schools), but I never find anything reasonable when I'm looking in internet.
    (Yes, once I knew there was a solution, I found it. I was fooled by the TrioBalance listing being inside TriPod. BTW, I did order one yesterday after making some informed guesses. With a simple clamp on top, it's <3.5 lbs. If I need panorama, I can use a P0 on top and I'm at 4 lbs.)
    You should trust on those German manufacturers. There is thecnical data somewhere. If not all, the most important. You only have to find it! Keep on searching!
    Last edited by TimoK; 8th February 2017 at 20:36.

Post Thanks / Like

My many thanks to Don Libby for his post regarding the Arca P0. I'm at Death Valley and using it for the first time and find it exemplary. I use it with a Gitzo series 1 (three column leg) which is perfect for my Actus. I ordered it with the Arca flip lock which I know some don't like but I have found to be completely reliable and better than their quick release which has a knob which is too small for me. The whole setup is very light and very study.... I have an image in the 'Tech camera images, from this setup.

Victor
    Last edited by vjbelle; 12th February 2017 at 04:51.

Post Thanks / Like

I used the P0 in Death Valley and found it to perform exemplary. Two major pluses are its weight and the fact that the top plate rotation is always level once the head is leveled. The markings are 5 degrees with larger markings at 15, 45, 60, etc. It will easily hold in place 8 lbs of camera weight while attached to the tripod and walking which is one of my preferred ways of carrying a camera. It does not replace the cube.... but then nothing can. It sure is a lot lighter and will see a lot of use from me.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

If this isn't the best place then please suggest I start a new thread.

I've got an Arca Z monoball and I'm hankering after a geared head. I'm so absent minded I live in fear of releasing the ball head and having the Alpa flop over. I'd also like more precision in my set ups.

I'd be interested from those who've used both in a pros/cons of the Arca Cube vs the Arca D4 geared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrew View Post
    Victor, I recently returned from Death Valley. At the end of the week I was pretty tired of the weight of my d4, but then every time I use it I am happy to have it. The two others in our little group were both using PO's. They were unanimous with their praise.
    Have a good shoot.
    John
    There is nothing like a geared head for aligning horizontals/verticals while using a loupe on the LCD screen which is sometimes a must due to lighting. One hand holds the loupe and the other adjusts the gears. Very different from a ball head, any ball head, where the head can move in all directions when loosened. That would be the only differentiation between the Cube and the P0 in the field for me - other than weight. The cube really is in a world of its own....

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FYI to the forum -

Our new P0 Hybrid heads have arrived and we are filling orders with another shipment due next week. P0 Hybrid will be a fine head for general purposes, though not appropriate for long heavy telephoto lenses or heavier large format cameras. Cube and Z1+ heads are better choices there.

The weight on our scale is 1.2 lbs for a Hybrid with a classic quick release. It is about 4 1/2" tall. There are detents in the panning at every 90 degrees and a spirit level on the quick release.

P0 Hybrid geared movements are responsive and very smooth. Leverage weight capacity is about the same as the P0.

Retail price - $913 with classic quick release or $939 with Fliplock quick release.
    Quicklinks are $174 for the set and $80 for extra head disks.

The new D4 and Cube GP (geared pan) are still on preorder status.
    US Representative, Arca-Swiss International
    R-Line Technical Cameras, Large Format View Cameras, Tripod Heads D4, D4m, P1, P0, Z1, Z2, C1 Cube.
    http://www.rodklukas.com/arca-swiss 480-755-3364
    Instagram @arcaswissusa Facebook @arcaswissusa
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post