The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great tripod & head thread!

MILESF

As I see it, the P0h permits more positioning freedom and greater speed in the field at the expense of a bit more weight and size (and the potential for a little less absolute stability) compared to the L60 Leveler. The L60 is shorter, likely a bit more secure and stable, but more limited in use.

Picking which one suits your needs better depends upon your needs. The lack of a 90° turn on the L60 can be accommodated with an L-bracket for many cameras, and is irrelevant for square format cameras/shooting. More important that you must evaluate is its absolute range of movement and whether that is sufficient for your needs.

The L60 Leveler, and the L60 Mini Cube, both appeal to me a lot. But in all honesty, the P0h and P0 that I already have are both excellent and more than sufficient for my current uses. They're both reasonably light, small, and very convenient in use. The control paradigm for both is excellent and fluid, and I've not had any problems with stability for my gear. The P0h in particular has permitted extremely fine control of the big, heavy, long Leica SL90-280 lens for use with tabletop setups ... exactly why I bought it.

You just have to figure what you need, objectively, and then act upon that. :)

G
Thank-you for such a clear explanation which confirms what I thought but did not know for sure. Really appreciate this and fwiw it sounds like P0 Hybrid is the way for me to go.

Hausen

As I see it, the P0h permits more positioning freedom and greater speed in the field at the expense of a bit more weight and size (and the potential for a little less absolute stability) compared to the L60 Leveler. The L60 is shorter, likely a bit more secure and stable, but more limited in use.

Picking which one suits your needs better depends upon your needs. The lack of a 90° turn on the L60 can be accommodated with an L-bracket for many cameras, and is irrelevant for square format cameras/shooting. More important that you must evaluate is its absolute range of movement and whether that is sufficient for your needs.

The L60 Leveler, and the L60 Mini Cube, both appeal to me a lot. But in all honesty, the P0h and P0 that I already have are both excellent and more than sufficient for my current uses. They're both reasonably light, small, and very convenient in use. The control paradigm for both is excellent and fluid, and I've not had any problems with stability for my gear. The P0h in particular has permitted extremely fine control of the big, heavy, long Leica SL90-280 lens for use with tabletop setups ... exactly why I bought it.

You just have to figure what you need, objectively, and then act upon that. :)

G
Thanks Godfrey,

I am probably leaning toward the Mini-cube. For my LE and LE Pano work the stability, ability to use levelller to ensure camera level while panning is why I am looking for a geared head. And because I only really do single level panos a nodal plate makes sense and I think a shorter head would work better in that regard. The PO Hyrid could be overkill for me I think.

Shashin

David, I bought a p0 for pano work. I never found the nodal rail necessary, but I did find the ability to rotate the head 90 degrees important.

jng

All set now with my maxi- and mini-Cubes - both mounted on the sticks via RRS Dovetail 40 plates and QR clamps a la Graham Welland.

IMG_6203.JPG

Ken: I'll be coming to Pigs with double-barreled tripods! :ROTFL:

John

Hausen

David, yes, I just use the p0, not the hybrid.

So you use an L plate and just put up with parallax? I have Nodal Ninja 3 and surprisingly works well with X1D but is just fiddly to set up. I switched to X1D from Sony A7rII + Actus Mini and 2x1 panos are my style. So my thought was an L plate & Nodal rail plus a geared head might be a simpler setup when tramping.

Shashin

So you use an L plate and just put up with parallax? I have Nodal Ninja 3 and surprisingly works well with X1D but is just fiddly to set up. I switched to X1D from Sony A7rII + Actus Mini and 2x1 panos are my style. So my thought was an L plate & Nodal rail plus a geared head might be a simpler setup when tramping.
I stitch in Photoshop. I mostly use lenses in the 35mm–120mm range and have not found a nodal rail important, even in forests (parallax is greatest with near and far objects in the same overlapping frames). I did buy a rail, but started to leave it home as it was just extra weight with little benefit.

Actually, I don't have an L-plate. The Pentax cameras have two tripod sockets for horizontal and vertical orientations. That is one advantage of the large body and mirror box.

Here are a few panos just using the p0, although a panning base under the head would make them easier:

35mm lens, horizontal frames

55mm lens, vertical frames

55mm, horizontal frames

The vertical pano on the previous page was with a 35mm lens.

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
L60 arrived. It's a little gem! Oddly, I can't find my Cube anywhere. I think it's sulking.

Meanwhile, Novoflex/ALPA have a new heavier duty tripod/legs leveler system - TrioPod Pro75 - for those with too few tripods. 143 lb. weight limit. 8 lbs. for the basic setup - I'll pass. One nice feature, there's a -43 degree locking angle so you can flip the whole mess upside down and get very low angle shots without reversing columns.

--Matt

kdphotography

:thumbs: But only two? :ROTFL::chug:
They do tend to multiply!

Mini-Cube doing great in Iceland. The Mini-Cube by itself seems to provide enough movements for me. Very nice to have a low profile and lighter weight tripod geared head solution when traveling. At this point my Mini-Cube will remain affixed to my RRS TVC-24 tripod. :thumbup:

ken

jng

:thumbs: But only two? :ROTFL::chug:
I forgot - the TQC-14 is buried in the closet somewhere. I actually think the mini-Cube would be a perfect fit for the little guy!

So OK, I can bring all three with me to Pigs next month - there should be plenty of room in the trunk of my car. But Graham from what I understand, you may need to hire a truck to haul down your collection of tripods!:ROTFL:

John

MGrayson

What are your thoughts on Novoflex Triopod Pro75?
That at 8.1 lbs, it's more than I would ever carry, that the Triopod and Triobal serve all my current tripod needs, that a Gitzo Giant would make more sense, and that I would love to have one.

--Matt

beano_z

That at 8.1 lbs, it's more than I would ever carry, that the Triopod and Triobal serve all my current tripod needs, that a Gitzo Giant would make more sense, and that I would love to have one.

--Matt
The only selling point over a Gitzo would be the removable legs for easy packing......but since my Gitzo folds up to be shorter than carry on size limit I see no point in getting this tripod. And on top of this, my Gitzo can be fitted with a levelling base from either Gitzo or RRS, making the use of a geared head so much more convenient.

MGrayson

The Triopod Pro75 also has a leveling base. I *so* don't need it, but GAS and need are total strangers. Even worse, it would be the gateway drug to a larger, heavier, and much more expensive system.

(I bought La Marzocco espresso cups so that I would HAVE to get the GS/3 to go with them :D )

--Matt